Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RHT Holster question

HorizonT_s

I just received my level 2 holster for my shadow 2. The hood release is extremely difficult to release.

I can’t have any sort of grip on the gun when I push the release for the hood out because of the force required. Does this loosen up any over time or am I doing something wrong. I’m disappointed at this point in time with the holster after all the good reviews I have read.

I have emailed RHT previously about a holster issue, and gotten a quick response with helpful answers. As far as monitoring the forums, it's a relatively small company so unless the owner is looking at the forum I don't think there is going to be much company response on here.

I'll echo what others have said (RHT is a small company with good CS, so I'm sure that they'll be pretty responsive to you)... but if you're also looking for a sanity check on that issue, then I can provide that as well. I've been using one of their level 2 holsters for the past year or so, and while the craftmanship on it is great, the WRS hood is a little finicky. Not their fault at all, since it's a standardized aftermarket part that they don't even make (I think it's Bladetech?). And it's not even Bladetech's fault, either - it's just the cost of doing business with a generic component like that. If it works for everything, it's probably not going to work all that great.

I've thought about a few modifications to improve it - very carefully contouring the engagement surfaces of the locking mechanism, for example, or changing up my mounting system so that there's less play in the holster itself - but haven't actually done anything with it yet. So far, it's basically just been working on it in training. I don't think there's much to be done about hitting the release faster, but I've been working on getting better at hitting the release while doing something else (running, dumping a long gun, etc.).

If you do hear some suggestions back from the RHT folks, I'd be interested in hearing what they tell you, though. Please keep us posted.

I would reach out to them on Facebook, if you have an account.  Robert is pretty fast at getting back to people. 

Edit: I just sent him a facebook message with a link to this thread as well in case you don't have facebook.

Edited by Zeros

I'm waiting to hear back before I try any mods i really like the holster and the thumb screws for tension adjustment. I was just looking for anyone else input on ways they improved this, but apparently to some you can't ask questions like that even though there are hundreds. Thanks to those that were helpful and I will update what i hear from them.

I heard back from RHT and they echoed what was mentioned here. you can shave off some of the contact point to reduce the pressure needed. He did mention this does void the warranty on the hood. Also mention that the is hood more for duty use then competition this is why its is more more difficult to move, but also states if no mods are done will lose some over time.

That all checks out, thanks for passing that along.

Like I mentioned earlier, the WRS hood that they use in their level 2 holsters is a standalone component sourced from Bladetech. I wouldn't worry too much about voiding the warranty on the hood - even if you manage to completely destroy the hood, you're probably not going to damage the holster itself, and replacement hoods can be ordered from online shops that sell kydex holster-making equipment for ~$20.

Looks like I'll be breaking out the razor blades before next season starts....

I'd like to throw in my experience with the same issue. Followed RHTs advice like HorizonT_s by shaving off material until it took a light touch to disengage and still held firmly at a run. It took a little dry fire to become accustomed to the draw with the hood. The peace of mind is worth it though.