Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My New Ipod

jnshapiro

The CD Player in my pick up doesn't work any more. The CD player on my home stereo is failing. So I thought it might be more convenient to get an iPod. I can hook it up to both.

So I spent 2 days uploading all my CD's to the computer. Then I downloaded all the music to the iPod. It plugs into the stereo. I can use it on the car stereo via an FM Transmitter. All my music on one device! No more hauling around CD's. Just this one little gadget.

Very convenient! This thing is great. Sound quality is excellent too.

No offence to you Apple enthusiasts, but this time I think they've hit their "killer app."

It's about their 3rd "Killer" app/product.

Number one was Visicalc on the Apple II back in the late seventies. That changed the world a bit. Second was Pagemaker on the Macintosh coupled with a laser printer in the mid to late eighties, that changed the world a lot with the inception of Desktop Publishing for real.

Apple didn't invent MP3, but this time they did get the product and the application almost perfect outa' the starting gate. Better headphones and it is just about perfect :-)

iTunes and iPod = Winner. Most other digital music systems = Loser ;-)

--

Regards,

The one I got is from Monster. You know, the folks that make those really good cables. Haven't had any trouble with the cell phone or reception. It just works.

Course, I don't have any other way to get it to play in the car.

Joel

Apple didn't invent MP3, but this time they did get the product and the application almost perfect outa' the starting gate. Better headphones and it is just about perfect :-)

iTunes and iPod = Winner. Most other digital music systems = Loser ;-)

--

Regards,

They were the first to take it seriously and advertise. their hardware is so-so. The rio karma on the other hand got the features REALLY right. Lots of codecs, much longer battery life, a real 5 band parametric EQ, and real gapless playback. that last is a killer feature if you like music that is supposed ot be listened to as an album. On top of that it has on the fly playlists and the rio dj feature is pretty cool.

wasn't until I got my karma that I realized that the last song of the wall is the beginning of the first song. Plays in a seamless loop on the karma.

bad news is rio is pretty much doomed. good news is that their IP and engineering team has been sold to the provider of the guts to the majority of DAP manufacturers. In about 8 months or so we should see the karma features broadly available. Quite possibly even the ipod.

hopefully my karma lasts until then, because DAPs in general are very cool. nothing like condesning a 500 CD collection down into something that fits in a shirt pocket and could handle another 300+ CDs.

Turn off the crossfade playback option and PB is seamless in iTunes. Have to go check an iPod.

Set the gap between songs to none in prefs and iTunes will burn gapless audio CD's too.

--

Regards,

Set the gap between songs to none in prefs and iTunes will burn gapless audio CD's too.

Except, and it's funny that you posted this cause I was meaning to ask you about this, but forgot when we talked yesterday - if the CD was recorded with no gaps between the songs (and you set iTunes to burn with no gaps), and, the CD was recorded so it sounds like one, continuous song - you will hear a little "blip" as it switches tracks. Which is actually very irritating, especially because the CD plays seamlessly on its own or from iTunes. I haven't tried to re-do a burn in Toast or just dupe the CD directly yet - I'm betting either one of those will cure the problem.

-1 for iTunes burning.

be

You guys enjoy your first iPod! My "first" iPod is already 4th one.. I needed to send in (and got replaced) for 4th time in ONE YEAR.

I still don't know if I should feel lucky to have 4 brand new iPod or get mad at crappy HW. :huh:

Rika, what are you doing to that iPod?

I have heard of almost no hardware problems with iPods in comparison to the number sold (it has an extremely low warranty return rate for a consumer product).

For you to have four die in a row, there has to be a specific reason. Statistically, four bad products in a row to one user from a production run in the tens of millions is an anomaly of the first degree and not very likely unless there is an X factor at work. In other words, there has to be some form of physical abuse, or environmental effect to the iPod involved here that causes this for you alone.

Do you wear it when you practice body contact sports, that would do it ;-)

--

Regards,

I think she's been shooting them <_<

that wheel thingy of iPod at 3 yards is just same as 10 inch plate at 15 yards...

Seriously, noting! I don't drop them, wet them, run with them, beat'em up, nor disconnect while it says no. Treating just like other HD I have.... :(

But I do use in the car and thats all I can think of..... I keep in on the seat of the car while driving and take it with me when i park.

Maybe I go into the curve too fast and iPod can't take the yaw?

Maybe Rika has a homing device planted in her brain by those extra-terrestrials....

It's interfering with the iPod... If you wrap your head in tin-foil to block the signals then the iPod won't break...

Dude! That could be it!

I posses the "force" but just doesn't know how to use it! Rika, use the force while at match, dumbass!!

All this ipod-talk made me go out and check the prices as well as other options for mp3 players. Oh my gawd!! I think there are a lot more players in the market than hair on my head. And they come in different colors and sizes, too.

So, what sets the iPod different from the rest? :unsure:

All this ipod-talk made me go out and check the prices as well as other options for mp3 players.  Oh my gawd!!  I think there are a lot more players in the market than hair on my head.  And they come in different colors and sizes, too.

So, what sets the iPod different from the rest? :unsure:

The coolness factor. B)

Are you still in Singapore? I got the mini iPod for my wife from Harvey Norman.