Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Sw In Sti/svi For Ipsc Major

lukipsc

I should have copyrighted that exploded gun pic :o

I have (another) 6" that Chronos really fast, so I dropped it to this...

OAL 1.17

165 Zero JHP

WSR Primers

4.8 grns TiteGroup

Oh, 12 lb ISMI Spring

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with XRe that load looks very dangerous...i've not had much experience with the 40 loads but an OAL of 1.126 and VV N310...dangerous!!! let a 'smith ream ur chamber to accept longer ammos to prevent a disaster. 1.160 would be the border line...just to be safe...my $0.02

everythings dangerous.. i've been using that load for over 5k rds now and no problems... and yes... i still have all my phlanges....

BTW... i shoot in 30 deg C ambient temps and this load chronos at 170-172 pf consistently.

the curious thing is, that load comes of Jeff Mass's pages.... and i think Blake uses a similar load... though I don't know about the OAL....

Troll???.. have you talked to my wife lately? :)

Rgds...

Someone please tell my why this particular recipe is dangerous.

fomeister- I'd be more worried about going minor at the chronograph :P The only thing that I would suggest is loading longer to get the pressure down some. If you can get the load to run in your gun at 1.200" oal and maintain the same PF, then it would be safer. YES, you will need more powder to do it. I've been running 4.9-5.1g of N320 and 180g heads at 1.200" oal for 4 years. (around 48k+ rounds)

Ooops..14# recoil spring

Edited by .40AET

everything is dangerous to these guys, i have been loading 5.1 gr. of320 whith a 180gr jhp at 1.125 ovl shot the load over a crony at a average vol of 1000 fps i shoot a glock 35 with barstol bar.

Pssst.....You don't need to shoot 180pf to make major. Make them as long as possible before they won't feed in the magazine, then shorten them up just a bit. Drop down to 4.4g and work back up to 168pf. (about 933 fps) Then you'll have a safe load.

the curious thing is, that load comes of Jeff Mass's pages....  and i think Blake uses a similar load...  though I don't know about the OAL.... 

Uh.... when?? I don't see any .40 loads in his PDF using N310. In fact, the front page bears this disclaimer: Powder Choices

When it comes to selecting a powder to use in loading a new caliber, reloaders tend to try to use whatever powder they have on hand or which they have traditionally used for other calibers. In gathering these loads, I received numerous reports that the .40S&W is dangerously unpredictable when loaded to IPSC Major velocities with fast-burning powders and heavy bullets. These reports have come from enough independent sources that I have taken them to heart, and I have omitted from this list any load using the fastest powders (generally, those faster than VihtaVuori N320).

There's a 200gr bullet load in there using N320, but not N310.

Uh.......................... you said it, I didn't ;):lol:

Uh.......................... you said it, I didn't ;):lol:

he... he... wait till you talk to me about the wife then... :)

but kidding aside... in my experience... with a 200gr head, 3.8 grs of N310 chronos at around 860-870 fps, OAL at 1.126 on my S_i.... and i get a 1 digit SD from the chrono. Last two matches i shot were at 170 pf, ambient temp at about 34 deg. C.

So far it has worked... my question now is.. since the load is relatively light (3.8 grs) and I shoot in a hotter temp... does that make the N310 and 200gr Pb heads still prone to over pressure?

I have the Mass copy at home... I'll take a look at it then... I may have mis read the dang thing..

Regards,

with a 200gr head, 3.8 grs of N310 chronos at around 860-870 fps, OAL at 1.126 on my S_i....

So far it has worked...  my question now is..  since the load is relatively light (3.8 grs) and I shoot in a hotter temp...  does that make the N310 and 200gr Pb heads still prone to over pressure?

I've never loaded that load - so no direct experience. There were rumors of super squad types running N310 or Clays w/ 200gr heads - even at 175 Major. However, they were/are running a longer OAL - 1.200" or so. And they wouldn't give out their load info, because they knew they were on the absolute ragged edge - any small issue and.... BANG. It was also said that, in hot weather, several of them were known to keep ammo in the cooler, etc. Search around on the board - there are some discussions of N310 w/ 180gr heads being dicey...

Especially with short OAL loads, .40 seems to be very sensitive to fast powders. Any small amount of bullet setback or variations in OAL - or sometimes temperature, or bullet size/weight, or... - and the pressures can very quickly become dangerous. There's not any margin for error. Heavier bullets make it hairier.

At least you're not doing this with Clays... ;) Single base powders are more linear about how they build pressure. N320 would really seem to be a better choice, though. There's a load in Jeff's data for 4.0 of 320 w/ a 200gr Pb head at 1.125" OAL that makes 180PF in that guys gun. 3.8 of *that*, or even less, might be what you're looking for.

Maybe you've meant N320 all along?? :)

BTW - once Precision Bullet has their 200gr heads out, I'm planning on giving them a whirl - loaded to 1.200" w/ N320... :)

....      Maybe you've meant N320 all along?? :)

BTW - once Precision Bullet has their 200gr heads out, I'm planning on giving them a whirl - loaded to 1.200" w/ N320... :)

... hate to say it.. but you're right... i did mean n320 all along. Same load you've referred to in Mass's load data... apologies for that. got fixated on 310 somehow... go figure :) Blakes load data is also for 200 grs at N320... Not N310....

but thanks for putting that right... would've ended up buying N310 if this hadn't happened.. :)

Regards & DVC...

The last time I spoke with Blakes dad, who by the way does all of Blakes load developement and loading, he told me he was using N330 and 200g Zero bullets. He had also used WST with some 200g lead bullets, but did not like the wide spreads over the chrono in different temperatures.

... i tried increasing the OAL to 1.14 thereabouts... ended up with Feed failures... so went back down to ~1.126. Can't get longer loads to work with my gun... and its running well so i don't wanna mess with it :)

its a soft load.... easier to manage for me over the 180's.

Max's forum mentions stuff from Blakes load... guess his Dad's changed the load for him now...

Thanks again... DVC

Dobry Den, Luk!

I was curious: How many Koruna is an STI going for these days?

Later,

Chuck

PS: My ltd. setup: STI Slide/Schuemann bull barrel on a Para frame. 12# recoil spring. Plated 180 gr bullet over 4.9 gr N320.

but thanks for putting that right... would've ended up buying N310 if this hadn't happened..

Been there done that. Ordered powder online while trying to do too many other things. Nothing like trying to unload 16 pounds of N310. :wacko:

4.0-4.1gr N310

Master Blaster 180gr

1.200"

don't have the velocity handy but it makes about 170-172 PF

6" Schuemann bushing barrel

When I was working this up, I got pierced primers (Federal GM SP) at 4.4gr. That 3.8gr/200gr/1.126" load someone posted has got to be a mistake or a miracle.

Anyway, it shoots super soft! I run with a Wolff 13# variable on a Cominolli guide rod and it feels pretty good. I can tell the difference between that and a 14# straight-rate, the heavier spring gives me the sensation of having to fight the gun.

everything is dangerous to these guys, i have been loading 5.1 gr. of320 whith a 180gr jhp at 1.125 ovl shot the load over a crony at a average vol of 1000 fps i shoot a glock 35 with barstol bar.

didn't you have 2 case separations with your load? I apologize in advance if you are not this person.

had two case sep. sunday glock 35 , barstol bar. 14lb wollf sping ,5.1 gr of320 ,180gr zero bull. mixt brass .

Dobry Den, Luk!

Later,

Chuck

PS: My ltd. setup: STI Slide/Schuemann bull barrel on a Para frame. 12# recoil spring. Plated 180 gr bullet over 4.9 gr N320.

Good mornig Chuck, or if you want I can write in Czech language :). I am very pleasure that somebody here know my language :)

In this time I have one for 55 thousand crowns from www.vmcustom.cz, it is build from parts from STI, in fact I have all origin items, only muzzle is from Dawson.

Can you write me, where have you learned Czech?

Dobry Den, Luk!

Later,

Chuck

Hi Chuck, or if you want I can write in Czech :) It is very nice kick to read here in my origin language :).

So now my STI Edge (it was build from origin parts here from www.vmcustom.cz) if was for 55.000,- Kc (2300 dollars) and othere Edges from HPS (it is one dealer in Germany) from them it is for 70.000,- Kc.

Where diy you learn Czech?

Dobry Den, Luk!

Later,

Chuck

Hi Chuck, or if you want I can write in Czech :) It is very nice kick to read here in my origin language :).

So now my STI Edge (it was build from origin parts here from www.vmcustom.cz) if was for 55.000,- Kc (2300 dollars) and othere Edges from HPS (it is one dealer in Germany) from them it is for 70.000,- Kc.

Well,

I must confess I never did learn much czech (jedna pivo, prosim?). I was working a project with a Czech company in Odelena Voda in 1991-1995. I lived there for about 4 months in 1992 and visited almost every other month for that whole time period. I also spent a bit of time in Malacky in what was then Czechoslovakia, now Slovakia. I started to learn (I though I should since my last name is Strelecky!) but all the guys I worked with wanted to practice their English so that was what we used. They told me "why learn Czech? Only 4 million people speak it where there are billions that speak English.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on a custom STI!

Later,

Chuck

Dobry Den, Luk!

Later,

Chuck

Well,

I must confess I never did learn much czech (jedna pivo, prosim?). I was working a project with a Czech company in Odelena Voda in 1991-1995. I lived there for about 4 months in 1992 and visited almost every other month for that whole time period. I also spent a bit of time in Malacky in what was then Czechoslovakia, now Slovakia. I started to learn (I though I should since my last name is Strelecky!) but all the guys I worked with wanted to practice their English so that was what we used. They told me "why learn Czech? Only 4 million people speak it where there are billions that speak English.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on a custom STI!

Later,

Chuck

Yea :) you know right phrase, which is very often use in pub (one beer please). So you have to know, we are postcomunist country and in this time everybody here who know English is more interesting for employers. It is to one think why I am here on this forum, because I need practise my English with origin speakers and because I want to know some about 1911s and STIs :) too.

I think it si best price here, only a few shooters here uses STI, maybe 10 in Limited and 2 in Open if I know and in this season I visited early all matches Level II - Level III, but I have my STI only one month, so I have to find more experience here, on the range I can make experince and praktice for my hand.

And yet to English...when my parents were in basic or high school they had to learned Russia but in the same time all Russia children or teens learned English. That is why more Russians live in USA, more than Czech. Sorry for my mistakes in English but I went out from school before 2 years and in bussines I have not enought change to practise it :). STRELECKY, your surname is Marksman?

Here is my STI

st01.JPG

• 1 month later...