Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 Mm Mags

heebs

Purchased a new Kimber 10 MM eclipse II over the weekend. Works great with "deer loads" (220 PF) and IPSC major. Problem is who has 10 MM mags that will work. Looking to use this for Lim-10 so I need 10 rounders also. Will be factory length loads 1.250". I see Metalform makes 9 rounders in 10 mm .They also make 10 rounders for 40. Do these have a filler in the back like some of the 9 mm? Anybody have experience with these? What about the Tripp mags. Need info from those who have used these.

Thanks

Heebs

I have experience w/ exactly 1 .40 specific SS mag - and it has a spacer in the back of the mag. It's a Mec-Gar. The Tripp mags have no spacer - they're for .40 or 10mm. I have six 10rd Tripp mags for my .40 Trojan - nice mags, I would buy more.

Don't buy the Metalform 9 rounders... they don't work, plain and simple. Metalform 8 and 10 round 10mm mags run like champs, but the plastic followers they use in the 9rd mags just plain sucks. Chip Mcormick makes the only flush-fit 9rd 10mm mag that I've ever seen that works, and it does work, at least in my gun. YMMV, just get the gun running and enjoy 10MM!!

DanO

Heebs

I would advise you start with a call to Virgil Tripp and work down from there. I have some of his 10mm mags and they are great...but ran into a functioning problem with only one round...and it is a big heavy hunting bullet. Long story short, he told me to send him the gun and mags and the problem would be corrected. Due to too much work and not enough shooting time, the gun still has not made the trip to Tripp...but it will. The point of all this is simply, Virgil is super easy to work with and very helpful. Check with him first, and spend your money with someone who cares about you as a customer.

Bruce

I put some more of my hunting loads through the gun and it runs great with the 1 mag that came with the gun. You would think they could send 2 for the money. Oh well. Sounds like the 9 rounders are no good. Thanks for the info dcloudy777. The 9 rounders were the ones I was leaning towards. I have loved the 10 mm since it came out, and the best part is downloaded 10 make major with no problem, the brass lasts a long time, but it is kind of spendy.

Will be considering the 10 rdrs from Metalform and give Virgil a call also. McCormicks are on my list for Single stack matches. Anyone else with a Kimber 10MM. Want to know if there are any problems others have had.

Heebs

I've had great function from factory Colt and Metalform 8-rounders. Nary a problem. Chip McCormick 9-rounders have been nothing but trouble. On reloads, the top round tends to squirt out, and up into the magwell. Also, a baseplate came off just pulling the mag from a pouch. I have no experience with other brands or capacities.

Bought some of the Metalform 10 round .40 mags on the Group Buy at 1911forum.com. Great mags and they work perfect but they force you to reload your .40 short- as in REAL short - down to 1.135 or less to work. Work well though & cheap too.

Hmmm. My list seems to be getting shorter. Metalform 8 rds and Tripp 10 rds. Thanks for the info RickB. Are you shooting a Kimber also? I plan on using 10mm ammo loaded down. I hate that ring in a chamber from shorter cases. Seems to only cause problems.

Anyone else out there with a Kimber 10mm?

Heebs

BTW, if you need shorter mags, Tripp makes a 9rd mag, too. I don't own any - it looks like they stick out about as much as any of the other 8-9rd mags w/ a basepad on them...

• 2 years later...

I have a Bilby Built Delta with about 30K thru it using several different 10mm AND 45 mags .... I have used 10rnd Shooting Star 45 mags with perfect success in IPSC. I really liked the Shooting Star 9rnd 10mm mags as they too worked like butter. Currently I use Wilson 47D's that hold 9rnds of 10mm and yes, they work absolutely 100% .... the gun has a BarSto Bbl and feeds rounds like they are ball bearings ... you have to try try try and the 45 mag issue is very hit or miss on reliability. I have a read of other having NO success with 45 mags. YMMV Harold H.