Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig Romeo3 on an Open gun?

vgdvc

Is anyone running one of these on their open gun or maybe in carry optics? Is the footprint compatible with another mrd out there? Got some very insightful feedback on the Romeo 1 but it was brought to my attention that Romeo 3 could be a strong candidate also. 

Romeo 3 won't fit on a CO gun I believe.
Not many people use them on a open gun from my experience. I have never seen anyone local using one. Almost everyone around here uses DPP. Haven't even seen anyone using a Romeo 1 on a open gun here. Though probably 50% of the CO shooters use Romeo 1s here. Because of their ease of install on the P320 and X5. The appeal is that the Romeo 3 is round and mimics a Cmore. For people that shot Cmore for many years that might be a plus. Not really a plus for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, lacivilian said:

It is essentially a slightly better version of the RTS2. Same mounting pattern and Atlas sells R3 specific mounts. Every DPP shooter that has played with my R3 has been an immediate convert. It really is a very very good option.

B185A86A-611E-484A-A224-6DDB676A32FF.thumb.jpeg.d77384067c173e1c9ac9ec42b64489c0.jpeg

44590823_1855057881208539_4958839974330892288_n.jpg

Sweet looking set up! The 3 moa isn't too small?

18 minutes ago, Explosiveo said:

18 minutes ago, Explosiveo said:

3moa is great for those further targets

Isn't the DPP listed as a 2.5moa dot?  They have a big following on open rigs. I'm thinking if the dot on the Romeo Is extremely bright ,crisp and round it may actually looked to be bigger than what I know as a traditional 3 moa. I just don't want to be looking forward on quick close target arrangements.

Ya. 2.5 moa vs 3 moa. Same pretty much.
I think once you get some practice with the dot it's not a issue. When I first started I had issues picking up the dot. I don't at all anymore. Except sometimes weak hand.
Just takes some dryfire etc.

Romeo3 uses the same mounting pattern as RTS2 but the R3 has a longer footprint.  So if the mount is designed for an RTS2 and it has a blast shield, the R3 won't fit.  

If the RTS2 mount does not have a blast shield, like the Brazos Slipstream, the R3 will fit but the front will overhang a little bit.  

The R3 is great.  I've got over 50k on one with no issues.  

23 minutes ago, d_striker said:

Romeo3 uses the same mounting pattern as RTS2 but the R3 has a longer footprint.  So if the mount is designed for an RTS2 and it has a blast shield, the R3 won't fit.  

If the RTS2 mount does not have a blast shield, like the Brazos Slipstream, the R3 will fit but the front will overhang a little bit.  

The R3 is great.  I've got over 50k on one with no issues.  

Good to hear I just ordered one. I was looking at the Brazos slipshot Mount. How do you like it? I have a 5 inch barrel with 4 popple holes.  I'm hoping it sits it back far enough so the blast shield isn't needed. It's a Brazos built gun so....

2 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Sweet looking set up! The 3 moa isn't too small?

I don’t mind it. I would not want a bigger dot if that answers the question better. To me unless you have an astigmatism, you should always go with the smaller dot as long as you never have to hunt for it which I have yet to see someone do. A red dot is still a red dot it doesn’t matter how big it is when you are shooting target focused. 

18 hours ago, vgdvc said:

Good to hear I just ordered one. I was looking at the Brazos slipshot Mount. How do you like it? I have a 5 inch barrel with 4 popple holes.  I'm hoping it sits it back far enough so the blast shield isn't needed. It's a Brazos built gun so....

I don't have popples so I can't tell you if a blast shield is necessary or not.  All I get is oil/slide glide that gets flung on the lens from the slide cuts on the front of the slide.  

I have another gun that uses the Atlas mount with blast shield.  I get the same amount of grime on both so not sure how much the blast shield helps.  

Does the Brazos Mount sit lower to the slide than the Atlas ? Also how do you like the rearward position of it compared to the Atlas?.Thanks

2 hours ago, d_striker said:

I don't have popples so I can't tell you if a blast shield is necessary or not.  All I get is oil/slide glide that gets flung on the lens from the slide cuts on the front of the slide.  

I have another gun that uses the Atlas mount with blast shield.  I get the same amount of grime on both so not sure how much the blast shield helps.  

I have two Romeo 3 one on my trubor on a brazos Mount one on a new EMG custom gun double-sided mount no failures of any sort on either one both have three holes, as stated longer footprint so no blast shield, get some occasional oil up on the window but very ittle and it wipes  right off. EMG gun is in my sig pic with r3 installed never have been lacking for brightness and I like the 3 moa, came from 6moa slide ride. Great purchase in my opinion. The above mentioned dot that is back to sig is the first I've heard of any issues. 

16 minutes ago, Acsr said:

I have two Romeo 3 one on my trubor on a brazos Mount one on a new EMG custom gun double-sided mount no failures of any sort on either one both have three holes, as stated longer footprint so no blast shield, get some occasional oil up on the window but very ittle and it wipes  right off. EMG gun is in my sig pic with r3 installed never have been lacking for brightness and I like the 3 moa, came from 6moa slide ride. Great purchase in my opinion. The above mentioned dot that is back to sig is the first I've heard of any issues. 

Nice! Thank you for the input. Of the two mounts which one do you like better and why? Which one is lower to the slide? The Brazos slip looks like it sits back pretty far.

1 hour ago, Acsr said:

The above mentioned dot that is back to sig is the first I've heard of any issues. 

when I bought it - it came in a bag with one mount - i see now they have two mounts and a box. got it from opticsplanet 

1 minute ago, Fo0 said:

when I bought it - it came in a bag with one mount - i see now they have two mounts and a box. got it from opticsplanet 

There are 2 different order numbers/option.  The one from opticsplanet is about $100 less, but comes in a Sig bag with 1 highrise mount. The boxed version comes with both the high and low mount.  My Atlas came with the boxed version and I have purchased the bagged version also.  Bagged version is the way to go for this application because you don’t need the other mount......

On 12/17/2018 at 6:48 PM, vgdvc said:

Nice! Thank you for the input. Of the two mounts which one do you like better and why? Which one is lower to the slide? The Brazos slip looks like it sits back pretty far.

Both sit equally low the doubled sided is more sturdy, but both do the job

On 12/17/2018 at 5:57 PM, vgdvc said:

Does the Brazos Mount sit lower to the slide than the Atlas ? Also how do you like the rearward position of it compared to the Atlas?.Thanks

They are both about the same.  

Brazos sits a little further back but again, it's not enough for me to notice when shooting.

I just took 2 off my Open guns... the dot is not bright enough for white steel in bright sunlight. An example was Area 2. The dot is significantly less bright than the DPP and Slideride.

This was disappointing as I like everything else about the optic. For 99% of lighting conditions it is fine. I tried different batteries but to no avail.

Edited by selecw
Update

I just took 2 off my Open guns... the dot is not bright enough for white steel in bright sunlight. An example was Area 2. The dot is significantly less bright than the DPP and Slideride.

This was disappointing as I like everything else about the optic. For 99% of lighting conditions it is fine. I tried different batteries but to no avail.
All the new Sig Optics are significantly brighter. Like even brighter then the DPP. The 6moa Romeo 1 is the only one I know of that is available now. But pretty sure everything will be getting extra brightess.