Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting weak hand only

MarilynMonbro

For strings of fire starting with firearm in weak hand, pointed down range at a 45 degree angle, does the firearm need to be decocked in SSP if shooting a DA/SA or on safe if shooting CDP/ESP?

The old standards classifier states this but I can't find anything recent-

String 3 (6 shots): Start with firearm in weak hand, pointed down range at a 45 degree

down angle, safety may be off but the trigger finger must be out of trigger guard. Fire 2

shots at each target weak hand only.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Start Conditions
All CoFs will be started with the pistol holstered, safeties engaged as required by different divisions, and hands clear of equipment including the concealment garment unless other positions for the pistol are stipulated in the written stage description (table top, drawer, pack, purse, in the firing hand, etc.).

SSP Start Condition:
Start Condition
A.Selective DA/SA firearms will start hammer down.
B.Firearms with a hammer de-cocking lever or button will have their hammer de-cocked using the lever or button.
C. If the hammer must be lowered by pulling the trigger and manually lowering the hammer, the hammer will be  lowered to the lowest position possible.
D.Manual safeties may be engaged at the shooter’s discretion.

ESP Start Condition:
Start Condition:
A. Single action only firearms will start with the hammer cocked and the safety engaged.
B. Selective DA/SA firearms may start cocked and locked or de-cocked, at the shooter’s discretion.
C.DA, DAO, or striker fired firearms with a de-cocking lever or button will be de-cocked using the lever or button.
D.DA, DAO, or striker-fired firearms may have a manual safety engaged at the shooter’s discretion.

3.9C (concerning WHO-only stages or string) does not given any special permission to go outside of the other rules.

So:  SSP:  Decocked.  ESP:  Hammer back, safety on.

.....UNLESS you are shooting the classifier, which has a special condition for the WHO string(s).

"String 3 (6 shots): Start with firearm in weak hand, pointed down range at a 45 degree down angle, safety may be off but the trigger finger must be out of trigger guard."

....but OTHER than the classifier, the rulebook contains no special conditions for anything else.  As such, if the WSB says a WHO string can be started with safety off, you can, but otherwise:  Safety on.

Unless there is something else somewhere I'm missing?

53 minutes ago, Thomas H said:

....but OTHER than the classifier, the rulebook contains no special conditions for anything else.  As such, if the WSB says a WHO string can be started with safety off, you can, but otherwise:  Safety on.

Unless there is something else somewhere I'm missing?

I looked through the rules multiple times and could only find the same info you have posted.