Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dirt-cheap Non-plastic Limited Gun!

Carmoney

doesnt the 40 version come with a ramped bull barrel?

Yes they do. And I think they use the Wilson/Nowlin cut and not P/C. I'm just not sure why you guys have that external extractors. All of the models back here have the internal ones.

My 40 has about 20K rounds of IPSC major ammo, with a 12-13# recoil spring. Even though I didn't spend the amount for a factory Para, I feel I still went a little overboard with the mods...

th_snow1.jpg

Here's my smiths franken gun with an armscor frame.

th_IMG_1198.jpg

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn!!!

How are the mags?

If the question is for me, I still use the same mecgar mags I bought about 3 years ago. With a locally-made basepad and trimmed followers, 19 reloadable rounds and IPSC box legal. ;)

I'm actually starting to get tired waiting for it to fail so I can finally swap it out with a Wolff spring and arredondo followers. And the EB extractor I keep for spare if the factory fails, hasn't seen any action, too. Maybe I'm just lucky...:P

doesnt the 40 version come with a ramped bull barrel?

Yes they do. And I think they use the Wilson/Nowlin cut and not P/C. I'm just not sure why you guys have that external extractors. All of the models back here have the internal ones.

My 40 has about 20K rounds of IPSC major ammo, with a 12-13# recoil spring. Even though I didn't spend the amount for a factory Para, I feel I still went a little overboard with the mods...

Here's my smiths franken gun with an armscor frame.

Your gun(s) :wub: - gives up nothing in comparison to a Para or an S_I - IMHO. I did not realize they made the long dust cover. With that frame must come the full profile slide??? Looks like a 2fer1 cost wise compared to an Edge. Now, to find a well stocked USA supplier.

• 4 months later...

OK, here's the finished project! The top ends switch out simply by pulling the slide stop--takes about five seconds to switch it from 9mm to .40! Runs 100% and shoots great in either caliber. (I used a Kart EZ-fit barrel in the .40.)

armscor4.jpg

armscor5.jpg

Edited by Carmoney

Man, I can't believe I missed this whole thread! Great review, and a very cool project. Did you run into any problems in the months you shot this gun Mike?

McOliver, I can't help but notice you smith's gun is in a right hand holster and has a left hand thumb paddle. What's up with that?! ;)

Spook, my kid shot this gun in several matches (including the USPSA-sanctioned Iowa Shoot for Life Charity Match) using the original 9mm top end and Winchester white box ammo, and it worked just fine--zero malfunctions. I also shot it at a local Steel Challenge format match with absolutely no problems. We used a Safariland 012 I found in a close-out sale at holsters.com for $75 (in keeping with the el-cheapo tone of this project!) and it all worked slick as can be.

I built the .40 top-end with an Armscor slide and the Kart EZ-fit. It all went together beautifully, with a really nice tight fit between slide and frame (got lucky on that). I've shot a bunch of various .40 ammo through it, and it seems to gobble it all up. My USPSA major load for this gun is a 180-gr. cast TC over 4.5 gr. of V-V320 at 1.170", for 960 fps and 172.8 power factor. I've shot about 500 rounds of that stuff through it, absolutely no problems. Very pleasant shooting so far.

This has been a fun little project, and I'm rewarded with a pretty nice and completely functional competitive shooting set-up in two calibers--one for steel, one for IPSC/USPSA Limited--for about the retail price of a new Glock. I'm very pleased with how it all turned out!

Mike

Edited by Carmoney

Man, I can't believe I missed this whole thread! Great review, and a very cool project. Did you run into any problems in the months you shot this gun Mike?

McOliver, I can't help but notice you smith's gun is in a right hand holster and has a left hand thumb paddle. What's up with that?! ;)

Dangit! You're not supposed to notice that. :P

I had to make do with what's available at that time. And I only had a righty. :)

So the advantage of this over let say a Springfield mil spec?

I haven't bought my first 1911 yet but I also am on a gun budget :ph34r:

Is this a double stack frame?

Sorry for the newbie questions but I see some kinda of 1911 in the very near future :wub:

I am leaning toward something to shoot the new single stack classic with

Hi RT! I remember you from the XD fourms, thanks for all your advice over there. Since getting my Armscor (I have the single stack 45) my XD doesn't get as much of a workout. I still shoot it in matches now and then though. Coming from the XD you'll really like the 1911s! The Armscors are really good for the money and are competitive, at least at the level I am shooting at (newby). My friend and I started Practical shooting together and he has a Kimber, I'm not saying the Armscor = Kimber but it definately keeps pace. Its fun beating hi-dollar guns with a cheapo.

Advantage over a Springer Mil-spec? My Armscor Practical came standard with beavertail grip safety, bobbed hammer, ambi-thumb safety, novak sights and mags, flared ejection port, things I probably would have added to a Mil-spec (especially the ambi because I'm a lefty). It also comes with a nicer blued finish vs parkarized IMHO. I also understand that the slides are fitted to the frame by hand (Filipino Craftmanship) and is also hand assembled. My gun basically has the same features as the gun in this thread. If you don't need all that stuff go with the RIA which is Armscors version of the mil-spec and save some money.

My next purchase will be the 9mm Armscor widebody as pictured in this thread! Do some research too ...people that own an Armscor are generally satisfied and usually end up owning two or more.

Here's mine!

armscor26oc.jpg

Edited by ArnisAndyz

I thought thumb paddles weren't allowed in Limited? :huh:

Dangit! You're not supposed to notice that. :P

I had to make do with what's available at that time. And I only had a righty. :)

• 3 months later...

update; My Armscor single stack has been seeing double duty as an IDPA CDP gun and in HeMan class in 3-gun, it looks a little worn as the blueing is coming off but its still running great.

I liked it so much I just bought a like-new Armscor A2 Hicap version for 3-gun Limited! I decided to go with 45 since I'm setup for it already. From what I understand, its basically a Para P14 clone so I'm going to try adding a SA magwell and +2 Baseplates. Looks exactly like my single stack, but with a fatter grip.

Like Carmoney said, its a great way to get into the 1911 platform without dumping a load of cash. I'm not a pro like alot of you guys, just recreational, but I really prefer shooting the Armscors more than my XD and my old Glock. To top it off, I'm a Filipino-American so theres a cultural pride thing going on too!

I'm pretty much a newbie to this site but I have to chime in here. I don't want to be a buzz kill but I ordered one of the Armscor .40's from an internet site. The gun overall appeared to be OK but the slide catch appeared to be a little discolored (didn't match the rest of the finish on the gun. The broker swears the gun was brand new never fired and it didn't appear to be fired) The slide to frame fit was OK as well, BUT THE BARREL FIT WAS TERRIBLE. The link was too long and the lugs looked like somebody went crazy with a dremel. Overall it was still a good purchase and the accuracy is ok (after a local smith smoothed over some of the barrel issues). I guess my point is just beware of what and where you buy. It sounds like maybe I just got a bad one or maybe it wasn't as new as the broker claims. I have to admit I still look forward to competing with my cheap gun though. :D

I just took this off there website. It appears taht teh .40 is a bull barrel.

"Cal. 40 S&W, full size hi-capacity, 15+1 capacity, ramp type bull barrel, extended slide stop, double slide serration, blued finish"

Majja

Gunbroker

Here's a .40 Para clone on gunbroker. I think something like this would make a good "spare" or loaner.

My friend Marc uses a Filipino 1911 for L-10 and Single Stack. He had a trigger job done, had a fiber optic sight installed and stuck on a mag well. It has been working fine for him and total cost is probably in the $600 range with shipping, parts, and labor.

I recently sold a single stack to another member here on B.E. My gun had 7,500 +/- rounds through it and was a great blaster.

Yes, the Armscor stuff is not without problems but they seem to have a pretty good amount of potential, especially if you aren't afraid to change a few parts. And don't forgot how much fun it is to shoot well in a match with a gun that costs less than some reloading equipment!

Edited by Tokarev