Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Age For First Gun

Hello all,

What do you think is a good age to introduce a child to shooting? My five year old son shows a lot of interest in shooting; he likes to watch and help when I practice my draws by yelling "GO!", and he shoots a soft air P99 pretty well.

What do you think is an appropriate age for a kid's first 22?

Sounds like he is ready to start learning muzzle discipline now. Get him a .22 that fits, and that can shoot s, l, lr. Let him carry it, only providing the ammo when it is time to shoot. You can phase him into full responsibility as he progresses. Each child has a different maturity and excitement level, so I refrain from a numerical answer to your question. This is a special time for both of you, congratulations.

Thanks! He has a lot of fun using the soft air P99. He hasn't quite figured out how to use the sights yet; I've been slowly working on it with him. I put a laser sight on the soft air (!), but sometimes he likes to aim without it. He does have the the modern isocoles stance down though!

FWIW I just started my 8 yr old son on a .22 last month.

I picked up a Henry Mini-Bolt .22LR for him.

Before our first range session, I spent about 3 days teaching and explaining to him about firearms safety. Then we spent another 3-4 days dry firing his rifle.

He did great when we finally did get to the range. :)

IMHO a single shot bolt action rifle is a great gun for kids to start out on. YMMV. :)

I too have a 7year old that would like to shoot. I started him at the age of 5 with a bow and arrow. The bow is much safer means to engrain the "keep it down range" principal.

Get him shooting now. A single shot rifle is a great way also.

All three of my children shot a 22 bolt gun from a Hart front and bald eagle rear about the age of 3. I kid around and tell people that I am raising mercanaries (sp?).

Two of the kids shot rimfire silhouette on the league with my wife and I before they could hold the rilfe offhand by themselves. The put it on the pedestal that is used for the ammo, stood up and supported the forearm on the pedestal. It is neat to see an 8 year old toppling rams at 100 meters this way. Kids are amazing.

One more comment. For a bolt gun a CZ Scout is hard to beat. It comes with a fowler that makes it a single shot or you can put a clip in the gun. Nice quality and reasonably priced. I shoot one in a 17 HMR too. It's not the Anschutz or the Sako rimfires that my wife and I shoot, but it is a great piece never the less.

Rick

Thanks for the .22 ideas. My son is 5 now as well. I was hoping to give him the .22 rifle that my grandfather gave my dad. Unfortunatly, it has been so well hidden, that it can't be found. :( I like the CZ Scout. The option of converting it to 10 shot after a couple of years is great.

Thanks guys

I can't WAIT!! My son is 3 1/2 and walks around with a stick in his waist band that he calls his "Pa Pow." If I say, "Are you Ready? Stand By...BEEP!", he will pull it out and shoot it at his imaginary targets. I've already started trying to train him on muzzle control, but he's not very good at it yet.

Whatever gun you give your child as their first real gun needs to be able to be safely manipulated by little hands. Little hands are not as strong as yours, so please keep that in mind.

My Dad gave me a Savage Stevens 22/.410 over under. A nice gun, but it has no safety and a VERY stiff hammer that I practically had to use my whole hand to cock. Not the safest choice for trying to get on a hun in a hurry... :wacko:

Think: "single shot bolt gun".

My Daughter had been attending IPSC matches with me from age 6 or 7 on.

I put her on the range when she was 9 with a Ruger 22/45.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAP...el=192&return=Y

My home club at the time was very good about setting steel very light to let her compete in the IPSC matches. When she started she couldn't rack the slide unless it was pre-cocked for her.

She moved up to my Para P16-40 Limited gun before she turned 12.

Unforunately, she's going on 14 now and there aren't enough cute boys or other girls her age at the range. Just a bunch of pot-bellied stinky old men. She's only shot two matches (was it three?) this year.

You all have let me down.....

post-5714-1124630461_thumb.jpg

At least she came out to shoot for a while. My daughter is 17 and would never in her worst nightmare come to the range with me. Something about the loud noises (I always found it peaceful :) ). I can only pin my hopes on this guy.

post-5851-1124631170_thumb.jpg

I started my son on an Marlin 15yn single shot when he was 8. I started him with red dot on it to ensure he would hit 1 gal waterjug. There is nothing better than seeing the smile when the jug was hit. To make it more fun make sure you use a reactionary target, it will keep there attenction longer