Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Dot Configuration

Adamj

I'm about to order a Dissident KL-12 and have a question about how people use two dots on their open shotgun. 

I was wondering about the practicality of using the primary dot for more common close birdshot targets and using the offset dot for slugs and the less common hard lean shot. Or should I use the same zero and holds for both?

Edited by Adamj

I don’t know what dot you’re planning on using, I’m using a Deltapoint Pro with the triangle at Mike W’s suggestion. With the tip of the triangle zeroed at 50 yards, you can use the entire triangle as a birdshot aiming point. Works fantastic for me.

I’m not currently using an offset, so I can’t give you a definitive answer on that, but it seems like it could be cumbersome to use the offset when you’re trying to make a precise shot on a slug target.

9 hours ago, amccallister said:

I don’t know what dot you’re planning on using, I’m using a Deltapoint Pro with the triangle at Mike W’s suggestion. With the tip of the triangle zeroed at 50 yards, you can use the entire triangle as a birdshot aiming point. Works fantastic for me.

I’m not currently using an offset, so I can’t give you a definitive answer on that, but it seems like it could be cumbersome to use the offset when you’re trying to make a precise shot on a slug target.

I picked up a 7.5 DPP for just that reason. I think it was one of your past comments that gave me the idea. It's great to hear that Mike recommends the same method. 

So you think that the offset mount might be too unstable to pull off 50 yard+ slug shots?

Yes, the offset will be good for your hard leans possibly, but you want your main red dot for slugs. Really don't see a need for a shotgun offset. I shoot open, different mag fed shotgun but have never needed an offset. Remember it has recoil, turning the stock at an angle on your shoulder will make recovering from recoil difficult. Especially for a more precision slug shot. Just my opinion.

gerritm

2 hours ago, Adamj said:

I picked up a 7.5 DPP for just that reason. I think it was one of your past comments that gave me the idea. It's great to hear that Mike recommends the same method. 

So you think that the offset mount might be too unstable to pull off 50 yard+ slug shots?

You guys make a good point about the different recoil characteristics of a shotgun when you turn it to use the offset dot. I had not considered that. 

Whether or not a dot is neccessary I can't speak to since I havent used one yet. I see top performers like Josh Froelich and Scott Greene using them, but there is much much more than an offset dot that separates my performance from theirs. 

If I had unlimited funds I would definitely have an offset dot, but only for the peace of mind of being able to finish a stage if my primary dot takes a dump. So far I haven’t had any problems with my DPP, but anything can happen. The possibility of using an offset for a hard lean is just a bonus in my opinion.

As for the top rail being stable enough to support and hold zero with an offset mount- it’s hard to speculate as I haven’t tried it. The rail on the dust cover is pretty solid, but definitely not as stable as the welded on sight rail they install that most people use to mount a dot.

14 minutes ago, RiggerJJ said:

I use a set of co witnessed flip up irons for backup, but never saw the need for 2 dots...

That makes too much sense and is way too affordable for 3-gun, especially Open. If it doesn’t cost at least $300 for a slight theoretical advantage, we aren’t interested 😆.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and advice. I submitted my KL-12 order and I think I will just run the DPP 7.5 dot alone for a while when it gets here. If you guys don't feel the need for two I doubt I will either.