Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for suggestions: 9mm EMP4

HOGRIDER

After a long time of shooting/carrying 9mm Glocks, had a strong desire to try a 9mm 1911 style pistol! Never did get away from my love of the .45acp/1911, so after much research, I went to Bud's last weekend and picked up my Springfield EMP4.

Grabbed some of my match 147g GSSF loads, a few 135g coated practice loads, and purchased a couple of boxes of the Federal 124g American Eagles at the store. After running each mag with the 124s for functionality, I was amazed how well these performed in the EMP4! All testing was done at 10yds at Bud's indoor range. Lighting was great at the target stops but a bit weak for the FO front site.....

EMP4 didn't care for the 147g CMJs, and did so-so with the 135g coated. 

So now I'm faced with starting my load development for the EMP4 9mm, and wondering what the consensus is here for initial bullet weight?

Thinking about trying some 124/125g JHPs from Zero, etc....or should I look to the 115g pills that I've never used in any of my 9mm reloads!  Have noticed that Atlanta Arms only offers their "Elite" ammo in 100, 115, and 147g! No 124/125g in this Elite line.  So, I'm a bit confused there......

Normally like to use N320......but have plenty of Bullseye, Titegroup, CFE Pistol, WW231, and N310 though I don't think it would do well in 9mm.

Accuracy is my #1 goal.......guess I'm just not familiar enough with the smaller pills (115, 124/125), and not sure where to start, bullet wise. But again, the EMP4 sure liked the 124 AEs and never missed a beat!

Truly appreciate any info you can share!

Thanks,

Ben

10 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

Thinking about trying some 124g JHPs..or should I look to the 115g pills

use N320......but have Bullseye, TG, CFE, W231, and N310 though I don't think it would do well in 9mm.

Accuracy is my #1 goal......

If you need to "make PF", I'd stick with the 124/147.  Most people prefer them to the 115's as far as "recoil" is concerned.

If PF is NOT necessary, I'd definitely give the 115's a try, with  a very soft load - I worked up loads with about

3 grains of almost any appropriate (and some Not appropriate) powders, and they come in around PF 110

and are a Real Nice Soft load - great for beginners and very light pistols (my Kel-Tec P11).

Most of your powders should be fine with 9mm, and we have one BE member here who has reported

that The Most Accurate load he's found for 9mm Minor was with N310 (I've never tried it, but he seems

to know what he's talking about).

16 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

If you need to "make PF", I'd stick with the 124/147.  Most people prefer them to the 115's as far as "recoil" is concerned.

If PF is NOT necessary, I'd definitely give the 115's a try, with  a very soft load - I worked up loads with about

3 grains of almost any appropriate (and some Not appropriate) powders, and they come in around PF 110

and are a Real Nice Soft load - great for beginners and very light pistols (my Kel-Tec P11).

Most of your powders should be fine with 9mm, and we have one BE member here who has reported

that The Most Accurate load he's found for 9mm Minor was with N310 (I've never tried it, but he seems

to know what he's talking about).

Jack:

At this time, not needing to make PF as this is going to be my "fun" gun until I can find the right load for accuracy and occasional CC.  Would like to try my hand at some local steel competition once I'm really comfortable with the pistol. I'm also thinking i have the option to purchase some retail loads in the 115 and 124 that might give me a start on seeing what this EMP4 really likes.  Atlanta Arms has a few options and I know they make premium ammo.

I'm thinking that "theoretically", this 1/16 twist 4" barrel should prefer something in the 124/125g range; but I don't have any solid evidence to support this.........

Anyway, I appreciate your feedback and any additional info you may come up with.

Thanks!  

• 2 weeks later...