Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ shooter dipping toes into 2011 waters

muncie21

I'm sort of in the same boat as the OP. I'm a CZ 'guy' in that I have several and love them. I love the ergonomics, I love that I can tear them down completely (thanks Kneeling Atlas!). I can work on them in pretty much any way possible. I got my S2 milled by CZC for CO and I'm a solid B with it. I'd like to jump in to open and always assumed I'd just get the CM. Recently though, the Atlas Chaos has become very appealing to me. However, I'm having a hard time (a very hard time) justifying the cost based on the facts that:

1. I'm likely never going to make GM. I'm in the North East and our shooting season is shortened due to snow. Sure, I can practice and drill, but it's not the same to me, it helps, but it's not the same as actually doing it...again, that's for me.

2. I can't see that I'd be that much improved by the gun itself over the CM. Not enough to justify the added expense.

3. I sort of equate it to buying the best Driver out there and shanking it on 13 holes. Sure, I might send one right down the middle for about 320 but I still have to hit a good wedge, and make a putt. Drive for show, putt for dough. Meaning, it's more the little things. Having the biggest stick doesn't = winning.

So that's all very pragmatic, and typically that's enough for me to make a decision, but I'm also struggling with two other things:

1. I strongly adhere to the 'buy once cry once' concept.

2. I'm 100% positive that I'll always wonder 'if only I got the Chaos'

Then this inevitably circles back to...'do you really need a Chaos?'

Hence, I still have not made a decision!!

I've held one Atlas - a Nemesis, and it felt great. I didn't get to shoot it though.

I've shot a ton of STI's, so I can say that I can shoot them. The ergos would take a little getting used to, but nothing I'd be concerned about.

I've also tried several CM's. I can't say I shot either any better than the other, but shooting a couple of steel plate racks isn't the same as owning and using all the time.

I was sort of hoping if I put this all down in writing the answer would become clear.

It HASN'T!!!!!

Because all of us carry Optics shooters are constantly battling optics that break. Even the most durable ones out there are dying when the shooter runs 20-30k a year through their guns. I have 5k flawlessly on my Deltapoint Pro and I know eventually it’ll go down.

Slide ride beats them to death, and we’re shooting minor. Lighten the slide and feed major 9 to the gun? No thanks.

Aha, thank you. So, until there is a bombproof lightweight optic, there is no switching between limited major and open major with just swapping an upper.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

@clw42 I went through basically the same thought process as you.  Here's what I ended up doing and why.

Purchased a used 2011 to gain experience with how this platform shoots, maintenance, etc.  I'll use the winter months (no matches from now through like March here) to familiarize myself with the gun.  If I'm still pleased with it come spring time, run some matches with it and compare times/scores to last year shooting the CZ TSO.

• If I decide the 2011 isn't for me, I will be able to sell it (should get most of my money back) and get a CZ for open (either CM or convert a TS/TSO), which is where I'll be in 3-5 years depending on how my eyes treat me
  • On the other hand, if I determine the 2011 platform is better (for me) than the CZ, I'll look at either converting my limited 2011 to open or buying another 2011 for open.

FWIW, I absolutely love the ergos of the CZs.  I shot my CZ shadow in production and CO. Both allowed for a thin safety. When I debated LTD, I tried the TSO, it shot flat but the grip felt cramped due to the location of the thumb safety and magwell. 

I bought an STI Edge. Shot it on and off for a month or three and ended up deciding to go with an Atlas since they were using the PT evo grip which is as close as you can get to the CZ ergos. 

I LOVE the Atlas. Ergos are almost as comfy as the CZs so I still look fondly upon them in the safe. 

Ill second the slide ride optics issue. They just aren’t bombproof.