Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CCI Blazer Brass/ Independence Aluminum 115 gr FMJ Use

SteelCityShooter

I realize this isn't a reloading question but I couldn't find an "ammunition" thread in this forum so it goes here. 

I recently bought a case each of CCI Blazer Brass and Independence Aluminum (made by CCI) 115 gr FMJ 9 mm ammo and both boxes have the warning; "Do not use in firearms with ported barrels or ported recoil compensators."   Since I thought these were really FMJ bullets I couldn't understand why the warning.    I called CCI's tech service and was told the bullets are basically plated, not really jacketed,  and the plating  can be cut through by the rifling and have fragments deflected by the ports back toward the shooter.  

So, is this really a problem and should I not use them in my Ruger PC Carbine with a Taccom two-port comp?   Does anyone have any experience using this ammo in a compensated or ported gun?  Anyone uses Ranier or Berry's similarly plated bullets successfully?  It would be a shame if I couldn't use them since they  are by far the lowest cost domestic factory ammo available.   Comments?

Blazer brand ammo comes in two pistol flavors.  The Blazer Al cased ammo has a thicker plated bullet and can be use in compensated guns.  The brass cased ammo has a much thinner plated bullet and cannot.  This directly from Blazer.  I don't know whether that follows for Independence ammo.

I use Rainier and X-Treme plated bullets in both my Open guns at major PF.  There are zero accuracy, fouling, or other problems.  I don't use Berry's because they are larger in diameter.  Of the two I mentioned above, the Rainiers are the most accurate.

BTW, you should not use FMJ bullets with ports or compensators because of leading.  You should not use any bullets with an exposed lead base.

I talked to the tech guy at CCI again today and he confirmed the thin plating on both Blazer Brass and Independence Aluminum cased ammo makes them unsuitable for compensated guns.  I asked what he did recommend and he said Speer (same company as CCI) Lawman was more heavily plated and is safe with a ported or compensated barrel.   I found it at just about the same price as Blazer Brass so that's probably going to be my go-to in the future.   JP Enterprises web site says they use Federal American Eagle 9 mm to test their GMR15's so that's another possibility in the same price range.   Of course, there are always my MG JHP reloads too.  

As an aside, the CCI guy told be another interesting point;  don't use aluminum case ammo in a blowback 9 mm PCCs.  He said the bolt moves as soon as the round fires and can cause head separation if it tries to extract the round while the pressure is still fairly high since the Al case isn't as strong as brass.   CCI has had several reports of head separation with Blazer Aluminum and Independence Aluminum.   They are fine in locked breech actions so I guess they get used in my M&P9.

8 hours ago, SteelCityShooter said:

I talked to the tech guy at CCI again today and he confirmed the thin plating on both Blazer Brass and Independence Aluminum cased ammo makes them unsuitable for compensated guns.  I asked what he did recommend and he said Speer (same company as CCI) Lawman was more heavily plated and is safe with a ported or compensated barrel.   I found it at just about the same price as Blazer Brass so that's probably going to be my go-to in the future.   JP Enterprises web site says they use Federal American Eagle 9 mm to test their GMR15's so that's another possibility in the same price range.   Of course, there are always my MG JHP reloads too.  

As an aside, the CCI guy told be another interesting point;  don't use aluminum case ammo in a blowback 9 mm PCCs.  He said the bolt moves as soon as the round fires and can cause head separation if it tries to extract the round while the pressure is still fairly high since the Al case isn't as strong as brass.   CCI has had several reports of head separation with Blazer Aluminum and Independence Aluminum.   They are fine in locked breech actions so I guess they get used in my M&P9.

I wonder how they get away with calling it FMJ?

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

I wonder how they get away with calling it FMJ?

I asked the same question.  Actually the proper term for these plated bullets is "TMJ" (total metal jacket) and FMJ is indeed misleading but several manufacturers seem to use the terms interchangeably.