Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M17 Tomb of the Unknown Soldier pistols

Rudukai13

http://soldiersystems.net/2018/10/03/sig-sauer-to-present-ceremonial-m17-pistols-to-u-s-armys-3rd-u-s-infantry-regiment-the-old-guard-for-the-tomb-of-the-unknown-soldier/

"The M17 Tomb of the Unknown Pistols are unique M17 pistols that were created using the same specifications for the U.S. Army’s M17 Modular Handgun System. The ceremonial pistols are 9mm striker-fired pistols with a non-railed aluminum grip module, stainless steel slide, wood grip inserts, a 21-round magazine, and features the same optic cut as specified by the MHS contract, front night sight, removable rear plate, and black controls. The pistols also feature a high polish to withstand the inclement weather while the Tomb Sentinels stand guard."

"...aluminum grip module"

So the grip modules can be made out of metal...One step closer to my dream of a X-Five grip module in stainless steel with micropocket grip texturing

IMG_2881.JPG

Tomb Sentinels carrying handguns? 

Since when??

They carry an M14.  

The only one out there on the stone with the Sentinel is the NCO at changes of the guard and he carries a pistol.  But he is not a sentinel and he does not stand guard with that pistol.  He walks out with the oncoming sentinel, controls the changing of the sentinel and the leaves with the sentinel who has finished his shift and is going back downstairs to rest/relax and get his uniform/shoes ready for his next shift.

Something doesn't smell right here, when there is talk of the finish being weatherproof/weather resistant for the sentinels shift of duty outside.

And where is the thumb safety I see on the plastic framed M17"s?  Or am I mistaken about what I thought was a thumb safety?  If it's missing parts how can it be a GI issue weapon?

Now, some type of commemorative model?  Sure.  Doesn't mean a GI carries it or will carry it on duty.

M1A4ME, all valid points and questions. I'm not familiar with the procedures or duties of the guards at the Tomb. Just sharing the report and interesting information on yet another P320-based variant, and the first metal grip module I've seen

3 hours ago, M1A4ME said:

Since when??

They carry an M14.  

Something doesn't smell right here

Perhaps you are smelling the unpleasant aroma of a marketing effort being tied to the Tomb of the Unknown.  That doesn’t quite sit well with me, personally.

3 hours ago, Archer said:

Perhaps you are smelling the unpleasant aroma of a marketing effort being tied to the Tomb of the Unknown.  That doesn’t quite sit well with me, personally.

I can't imagine Sig would do something like this without it being specifically requested, precisely for that reason...

On 10/4/2018 at 3:04 PM, M1A4ME said:

Since when??

They carry an M14.  

The only one out there on the stone with the Sentinel is the NCO at changes of the guard and he carries a pistol.  But he is not a sentinel and he does not stand guard with that pistol.  He walks out with the oncoming sentinel, controls the changing of the sentinel and the leaves with the sentinel who has finished his shift and is going back downstairs to rest/relax and get his uniform/shoes ready for his next shift.

Something doesn't smell right here, when there is talk of the finish being weatherproof/weather resistant for the sentinels shift of duty outside.

And where is the thumb safety I see on the plastic framed M17"s?  Or am I mistaken about what I thought was a thumb safety?  If it's missing parts how can it be a GI issue weapon?

Now, some type of commemorative model?  Sure.  Doesn't mean a GI carries it or will carry it on duty.

The NCO's (SGT of the Guard) and Officers wear sidearms and do not carry rifles. Hit YouTube and watch any of the Changing of the Guard and you will see the SOG wearing a sidearm.

Read my post.  That's what I said.  The NCO who comes out with the oncoming sentinel does not carry an M14, he/she carries a pistol.  It was a 1911 (or a plastic copy - you can't tell in the holster).  That NCO does not walk a shift on that mat with that pistol.  He/she leaves with the sentinel who just finished their shift.

Never saw an officer do the changing of the guard/sentinel.  When did that start?  I just repeated most of my previous post.

Wow, what has happened that the NCO needs a loaded pistol with an extended magazine?  Oh yeah, 9MM.

I don't remember whether the NCO's in the mid to late 70's carried a loaded 1911A1 or not.  I do know that a lot of the military ceremonies I was in (1st Plt. Honor Guard. Co.) the NCO's carried a black plastic 1911A1 in the holster.  Sometimes a sword, sometimes a pistol.  No memory in my head (that I can recall) what difference caused the sword vs. the pistol (fake pistol).

I'll bet that's not the standard issue holster either.  Both the 1911 and the Beretta used a holster with a flap to cover/protect/secure the pistol on the belt.  That holster doesn't do any of those things.  It looks like a holster made to allow quick/easy pulling of the pistol to shoot someone with it.

I thought something looked funny there with the NCO.  No Infantry blue discs around his lapel insignia/badges and no infantry blued shoulder cord/rope.  The Sentinel has the blue shoulder cord/rope.  Does that mean the NCO is not infantry?  If not, how is he in an infantry unit?  The Old Guard used to be an Infantry unit.  Or is he out of uniform?  Weird.

I believe it was opened too other MOS to allow female guards. MPs maybe.  I don’t recall the details. Infantry units have always had other MOS besides Infantry even at Company level such as supply, commo, NBC, although they normally wouldn’t be in a platoon.

At one time the sentinels were part of Honor Guard Co.  That one guy still has the tab on his shoulder.  Honor Guard Co. was infantry.  Not saying the armorers, commo sgt., etc. folks were, but they didn't wear blues and march jobs (ceremonies) either.

Times change.  They were changing when I was there (Honor Guard Co., not a Tomb Guard).  One of my room mates went to the Tomb and the other to the Continental Colors Team.  I wonder where those guys are now?

I don't think the Tomb is actual part of Ft. Myer or a military installation.  Didn't used to be.  There was a gate between the Old Chapel and Arlington Cemetery that got closed/locked every night and opened every morning for funeral processions.  The reason I say I don't think it was part of a military installation is because one of the guys in 1st went to the Tomb to "try out" and see if he could make it.  One of my room mates (I'm pretty sure) and some of the other guys, climbed over the fence one night, snuck down the cemetery and ambushed him as he walked the mat.  In no time at all the place was swarming with Park Police.  Not MPs, Park Police.  Seems like maybe the FBI, later, but as the guys were running for the wall between the cemetery and Ft. Myer they said they saw Park Police cars rolling up.

There were some crazy guys in Honor Guard Co.  It could get pretty wild sometimes.