Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tanfo 9mm major open gun questions

MacLethal

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, MacLethal said:

So, is the factory top end even worth messing with? Or do I need to piece together my own top end?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're specifically interested in atlas' comp you can either get a Gold Team top end and his comp will thread onto the non-ported barrel, or you can order a 6" barrel from EAA for your limited and have it cut and threaded for his comp. I'm going the latter route, since the barrel is $190 and the comp is $260, not accounting for gunsmithing costs for cutting and threading. If I'm not mistaken buying and cutting a barrel also ends up being slightly longer and heavier than a Gold Team, and you'll lose out on the slide cuts that a Gold Team has. Apolo would probably know best how functionally different they are.

On 9/26/2018 at 3:36 AM, MacLethal said:

Who here is running a tanfo open in 9mm major?

What loads are you running to make PF?

Any reliability concerns with 9mm vs. 38SC?

Just looking for feedback good or bad.

I'm running 7.0 grains of CFE-Pistol under a 124 grain that gets me to 1425 fps. This is in my Tanfo Gold Custom.

If you're specifically interested in atlas' comp you can either get a Gold Team top end and his comp will thread onto the non-ported barrel, or you can order a 6" barrel from EAA for your limited and have it cut and threaded for his comp. I'm going the latter route, since the barrel is $190 and the comp is $260, not accounting for gunsmithing costs for cutting and threading. If I'm not mistaken buying and cutting a barrel also ends up being slightly longer and heavier than a Gold Team, and you'll lose out on the slide cuts that a Gold Team has. Apolo would probably know best how functionally different they are.

I’m sure Joe at Patriot could probably help me out in the barrel threading/cutting dept, but would it still work with my Limited being a .40?

I really appreciate everyone’s input on this.

I believe it will work with 40. I think Atlas mentioned the Comp ID would just have to be opened up a bit to accommodate the 40 bullet OD. I believe, and some one please correct me if wrong, but the 40 cone barrel OD should be the same as the 9mm cone barrel OD. Which is the same as the Comp OD 

48 minutes ago, MacLethal said:

I’m sure Joe at Patriot could probably help me out in the barrel threading/cutting dept, but would it still work with my Limited being a .40?

Last I heard @kneelingatlas was in talks with PD about having them create a regular cutting/threading/comp package. 

21 minutes ago, Apolo said:

I believe it will work with 40. I think Atlas mentioned the Comp ID would just have to be opened up a bit to accommodate the 40 bullet OD. I believe, and some one please correct me if wrong, but the 40 cone barrel OD should be the same as the 9mm cone barrel OD. Which is the same as the Comp OD 

And I believe you're right, at one point Atlas said all you'd need to do to use his comp for 40 would be to drill out the bore.

2 hours ago, MacLethal said:

Yes, you just need to drill out the bore hole.

I meant if my current limited slide is .40, and I’m wanting to go 9mm.. sorry for the confusion lol

To clarify, I currently have a limited in .40

I’m considering a gold team top end in 9mm, but it was mentioned above that a barrel and Comp may be a viable option.. would the barrel/Comp option work?

30 minutes ago, MacLethal said:

I meant if my current limited slide is .40, and I’m wanting to go 9mm.. sorry for the confusion lol

To clarify, I currently have a limited in .40

I’m considering a gold team top end in 9mm, but it was mentioned above that a barrel and Comp may be a viable option.. would the barrel/Comp option work?

Yes, you can use a 6" 9mm barrel, my comp, your 40 slide and 9mm mags to shoot 9 major Open.  I've never had any extraction issues running 9mm with a 40 slide, but if it happens it can be fixed with extractor tuning.

Edited by kneelingatlas

I installed the comp from kneelingatlas on my modified Limited and it is great.  There was a noticeable difference in the vertical mussel flip compared to the 12 ported TF Gold.  I have both pistols and I put the comp onto each and it took a little bit of time to obtain the results.  The difference between the Limited and the Gold with the long comp was very minimal.   I'm using Lovex Major Pistol Powder. 9.1 grains with a 124 RNJ bullet.  

IMG_4017[1].JPG

9 hours ago, Meli2127 said:

I installed the comp from kneelingatlas on my modified Limited and it is great.  There was a noticeable difference in the vertical mussel flip compared to the 12 ported TF Gold.  I have both pistols and I put the comp onto each and it took a little bit of time to obtain the results.  The difference between the Limited and the Gold with the long comp was very minimal.   I'm using Lovex Major Pistol Powder. 9.1 grains with a 124 RNJ bullet.  

IMG_4017[1].JPG

I'm confused by your post.  Are you saying this setup is close to the Gold Team in terms of flip, or not close to the Gold Team in terms of flip?

I am also confused. Are you saying you didn't notice a velocity difference between the V12 and the Durso comp? If so your chrono is broken.

10 hours ago, Meli2127 said:

IMG_4017[1].JPG

I'm saying that there is a noticeable difference between the 12 ported comp and the durso comp.  There is very little difference between the gold with the durso comp and the pictured limited with the durso comp. I don't know how you can be confused if you look at the photo and read what is printed.

Still unclear to me.  Are you saying that both comps seem to work about the same, but that the porting does change?  I can't tell if you're saying that the Durso comp is about as effective as the other comp if they are both on un-ported barrels... or what.  

It may be easier to start by saying what you experienced with the comp, and then comparing the differences or similarities to other setups.  

1 hour ago, ATLDave said:

Still unclear to me.  Are you saying that both comps seem to work about the same, but that the porting does change?  I can't tell if you're saying that the Durso comp is about as effective as the other comp if they are both on un-ported barrels... or what.  

It may be easier to start by saying what you experienced with the comp, and then comparing the differences or similarities to other setups.  

I think I can clarify as Steve and I shoot together locally:

Steve has multiple Tanfoglio Open guns, both Limited-based Open guns and Gold Team-based.  My new four-port comp shoots dramatically flatter and softer than the V12 GT, but the Gold Team with my comp and the Limited with my comp feel very similar.

Ah, that makes sense.  The "host" doesn't matter much, at least when they are as similar at a GT and LTD.  Barrel and comp do matter.  And y'all's view is that the unported barrel and Durso comp combo is flatter/softer/better than the ported GT.  Is that a fair summary?  

Edited by ATLDave

260171806_IMG_40171.JPG.66809c225c4265536fce9f87406c1204.JPG

Where are you guys getting Lovex? I was wanting to compare it to HS6 but haven’t found it yet.

I have been purchasing the Lovex from here.   http://shootersworldpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Shooters-World-Load-Manual-Version04-23-18.pdf

I was originally using HS6 and still have 8 Ibs of it.  The Major Pistol Powder was recommended by a friend so I tried it and compared to the HS6.   I found it to be less reactive.  The red dot definetely moved less with the Major Pistol Powder than the HS6.  It is a much finer grained powder than the HS6.  It takes more weight to obtain a major load.   

4 hours ago, ATLDave said:

Ah, that makes sense.  The "host" doesn't matter much, at least when they are as similar at a GT and LTD.  Barrel and comp do matter.  And y'all's view is that the unported barrel and Durso comp combo is flatter/softer/better than the ported GT.  Is that a fair summary?  

Yes, that's it!