Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR9 Side Charging Handle Left or Right Side?

On 10/3/2018 at 9:47 PM, StealthyBlagga said:

I built a PCC on a Gibbz Arms side charging upper. The charging handle is on the left side, which makes by far the most sense for a right hander. Highly recommended. 

I also built mine using a Gibbz Arms upper.  I like it a lot.  In fact, I'm thinking about switching my AR15 to a Gibbz side charging upper

Another vote for the Gibbz Arm side charger.  The guys at Gibbz are great and make quality products.  Ive talked with them a few times at gun shows and at matches,.  I've handled some of my buddies rifles using Gibbz parts and am really impressed with the quality.

I just won a Gibbz lower at a match and I am really looking forward to the build.  Another reason, I will choose their products, like so many on this site, I like to support the companies that are supporting us!  They have been a great match sponsor and really appreciate what they do for our sport.

Left side also for a RH shooter

23 hours ago, Shootymacshootface said:

Here is the bolt handle. I left both ends long for final fitting. It weighs 1.2oz with the allen bolt in it.

I'll cut the upper reciver tomorrow. 

1539041549835d216624e06f51fff382685f005b0fc01e278f291553e136ba6342778e80e198143c0f09c2633e2c6ed7ebb65f7fbcd2689c440346f2b85285d037f1fa3dbdac3.thumb.jpg.6cb694df991366ecd2205bbee07778a1.jpg

That is EXACTLY what I was going to do. Make a handle drilled and c-bored for a SHCS and drill and tap the BCG. Cut a slot in the upper and you are off to the races!

I still might, but as I get into this more I don't see a big problem with the standard charge handle. I can see if you have to clear a jam, the side charge would probably be faster, but without that you load at the start and unload at the end.

Besides, I am just getting the hang of flagging the gun without being able to lock the bolt back. With a side charge I would probably have to sit on the ground!

Nice work by the way !

11 minutes ago, Shootymacshootface said:

Thanks! Thats high praise coming from the b.e. gang!

Looks great, nice work !

Still thinking about going that route, just not sure yet.

If you have any matches left this year, I would love to know how you like it .

14 hours ago, Shootymacshootface said:

I have at least 2 matches left this year. It already seems to be more convenient. This should be good!

I hope it is ! Looking forward to your evaluation !

I have a feeling you are going to like this set up and I will be posting pics of my side charger!

I shot my first match with the side charger today. I really like it. I didn't have to touch that awkward charging handle once!

Things that i learned over the weekend. No matter how tight you put the side charging handle on, it still needs locktight, and the release button on the bolt stop has to go. I think that I will try a bad lever.

Anyone know why I  don't have any mb's left for posting pictures? It says that max file size is 0.49mb.

Also, I  took 8th place in a 5 stage match today, and I was the oldest guy (50) on my squad!

On 10/14/2018 at 6:41 PM, Shootymacshootface said:

I shot my first match with the side charger today. I really like it. I didn't have to touch that awkward charging handle once!

Things that i learned over the weekend. No matter how tight you put the side charging handle on, it still needs locktight, and the release button on the bolt stop has to go. I think that I will try a bad lever.

Anyone know why I  don't have any mb's left for posting pictures? It says that max file size is 0.49mb.

Also, I  took 8th place in a 5 stage match today, and I was the oldest guy (50) on my squad!

Nice shooting, a few things for you.

I also took eighth in a 6 stage match yesterday, first in PCC. First time out with the Taccom3 short stroke kit , and I had a slight mag problem on my first stage along with running past one target on said stage. I was very happy and one year older than you. The short stroke kit did its job !!!

You may be walking me toward the side charger as a tweak to my gun this winter. When I had the mag problem, grabbing the charge handle to clear was no problem at all, we will see.

When I saw yours, my thought was to put the handle ( and you did it 100% correct, use a cap screw not a threaded handle) somewhere on the bcg where I could counter bore it slip fit in about .125 to .1875 deep if possible? May give a bit more rigidity, most likely you would have to tighten it quite often.

Lastly, I found an app for my phone called send reduced free. I had the same problem you did with not being able to post pics here because they are too big in file size. This deal shrinks them down so you can post. No clue how it works, but the pic quality seems to be fine.

Again, nice shooting!

Edited by SJMPCC022

I have a few factory side-charging AR's. The easiest is obv the non-reciprocating NFA/Matrix style. But I also have a few directly bolted to the carrier before the new tech was out. One is an aftermarket one on a 6.5C AR and it uses a cap screw. Nothing wrong with it, but I use purple loctite and have to re-apply whenever I want to remove BCG for cleaning, etc.

The other is an Alexander Arms unit that uses a threaded handle. While it may not be as strong(?) It's MUCH more convenient to keep tight. There's a hole drilled through the handle about the size of a 1/8" hex. Between stages/whenever, it's easy to stick a hex, bullet tip, whatever in there and snug it up. 

I was thinking about making something with the handle up on the handgaurd and an op rod to push the bolt back, but it seemed like too much work! 

Cutting the pocket in the side of the bolt was interesting. Two brand new hss endmills just made a squeeking sound when they came into contact with the bolt. I lucked out and found a carbide endmill of the right size and a flat bottom. After making the pocket i put the handle in and marked the the hole for the allen head bolt with a transfer punch. The metal under the surface of the bolt was softer and much easier to work with. The bolt release button will be gone tonight. I have a steel challenge match on Saturday. I want to see if i can match or better my rfro times!

You guys have been very helpful. 

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, Shootymacshootface said:

Two brand new hss endmills just made a squeeking sound when they came into contact with the bolt. I lucked out and found a carbide endmill of the right size and a flat bottom

Most likely the bcg is made out of 8620 and it is definitely case hardened! Were it not you would have a real mess inside of your upper!