Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sonic Vibrator for cleaning compensators

AzShooter

After trying a variety of chemical mixtures to clean my compensators, many with bad result and non with acceptable results, I decided to by a Sonic Vibrator today from Harbor Freight and  to give that a try.

Tandemkross has a great video on what to do, what chemicals to buy and how to clean up after myself.  I had used the mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide in the past but had to leave the comps in overnight and then still having to pick out the lead with my brass dental picks.

Today I  put my heavily lead deposit compensator in the solution and put in the Sonic for 8 minutes.  At the end of that time I rinsed it off in water and Backing soda to neutralize the acid.  When I checked the compensator I was surprised at how good it came out.  Only eight minutes and no having to take a pick to it, just the right size bottle brush.  This I can do every week.

Hope you wore gloves and didnt splash it. I used to do that for cleaning suppressors but my health is more important to me than spotless parts. Then there's the disposal process. I'm surprised any company is telling people to try "the dip". If your comp screws off, putting it in a stainless tumbler will do just as well. Takes a little longer but you can throw it in with the brass you need to clean so it isnt that bad. 

I have a few boxes of surgical gloves and wear them whenever working with these parts.  I also use a rubber tipped tweezers to hold the compensator when taking it in and out of it's container.   The Dip is used in a small container with the top on and then placed in the cleaner filled with water.  I also wear protective glasses.  My safety is more important than getting the parts clean.

9 hours ago, AzShooter said:

I have a few boxes of surgical gloves and wear them whenever working with these parts.  I also use a rubber tipped tweezers to hold the compensator when taking it in and out of it's container.   The Dip is used in a small container with the top on and then placed in the cleaner filled with water.  I also wear protective glasses.  My safety is more important than getting the parts clean.

What solution did you use?

On 9/23/2018 at 8:32 PM, AzShooter said:

After trying a variety of chemical mixtures to clean my compensators, many with bad result and non with acceptable results, I decided to by a Sonic Vibrator today from Harbor Freight and  to give that a try.

Tandemkross has a great video on what to do, what chemicals to buy and how to clean up after myself.  I had used the mixture of Apple Cider Vinegar and Hydrogen Peroxide in the past but had to leave the comps in overnight and then still having to pick out the lead with my brass dental picks.

Today I  put my heavily lead deposit compensator in the solution and put in the Sonic for 8 minutes.  At the end of that time I rinsed it off in water and Backing soda to neutralize the acid.  When I checked the compensator I was surprised at how good it came out.  Only eight minutes and no having to take a pick to it, just the right size bottle brush.  This I can do every week.

Do you have a link to that video?  Can’t find it on their site.

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried the soaking method and it works but usually takes several days to remove heavy lead build up. I was able to put this solution, into a small pill bottle, then put the pill bottle into the water bath in my ultrasonic cleaner and it took only 3-4 cycles to remove the lead. Works like a champ. Thanks again for the tip.