Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

16" AR to 800 Yards (Improving Distance Game)

Historically, the long range portion of 3 Gun was always a weakness of mine, because I never had a place to practice it.  Over the last year, I've put in the time and effort to secure a training location and get out for consistent practice.  Man, it's a lot of fun when you figure out your dope and wind holds.  Recently got a chance to shoot with my buddy at 9 Hole Reviews and put the Lone Star Armory rifle on display for one of his practical accuracy vids...I know you can probably stretch this rifle out even another 100-200 yards but this felt really good; maybe that's what I'll work to next.  In the mean time, I've translated the 100-500 game into 3 Gun and been smoking the long range stages at the few locals I've attended.  If you're serious about 3 Gun and don't already have immediate access to a facility like this, I suggest you change that as it massively improved my game!

Edited by GorillaTactical

14 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Very nice shooting     :cheers:

I presume you had the scope cranked up to 10x ?

Have you ever shot 800 yards on paper for group size ?

Yes was shooting on 10x and no, I've not tried paper at that distance.  That said, this rifle groups between .5 and 1" depending on ammo, at 100.

Edited by GorillaTactical

• 1 month later...

I agree that long range shooting is a completely different thing.  Shooting 200 yards and closer all the time means that wind is generally negligible, as too is drop, other than a mean offset when shooting super close.

Using strelok for the first time and seeing how much wind can effect the shot at long ranges was surprising.  I probably wouldn’t have been able to hit anything, even if I had the right vertical dope, without understanding how my much horizontal offset is needed even for a relatively calm day.

• 2 weeks later...

Very much agree with the OP on this topic about knowing your dope and being able to read the wind. Many of the ammo manifacturer sites only list data outwards to 500 yards so beyond that you are on your own in so many different ways. Knowing your gear and ammo is helpful whenever you shoot beyond 500 yards. 

One of the many skillsets often given insufficient credit is that of the spotter. Having a good spotter is definitely an advantage as they are talking you onto your intended target. A good spotter IMO&E provides wind/environmental conditions along with your POI, and suggested corrections so your POA will coincide with your POI. 

1 hour ago, Xanadu said:

One of the many skillsets often given insufficient credit is that of the spotter. Having a good spotter is definitely an advantage as they are talking you onto your intended target. A good spotter IMO&E provides wind/environmental conditions along with your POI, and suggested corrections so your POA will coincide with your POI. 

Its given little credit because it's not applicable to match shooting. If you can't self-spot you're screwed before the buzzer goes off.

Thats good stuff. Until recently I only once had the opportunity to shoot my 3-gun AR about 500yds. We now have a local (sorta) range that goes out to 800 yds. A recent trip there really opened my eyes. I always thought my rifle and myself to be a pretty good shot. It is a sub MOA gun if I do my part. Out to 600 yds was no sweat ringing the 10" steel plates. 700 and 800 humbled me greatly. It was a little windy.