Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rain Gear For 3gunners?

The weather dealie says it is raining in Raton. I wanna get some raingear in case it rains during this year's big match.

Given that 3Gun matches have a higher tendency for you to hit the deck more than say a pistol match, what kind of rain gear should I get?

Any specific type or style or brand of poncho? Should I get a pair or two of those plastic yeller pants?

What should I get?

2 piece Goretex. High quality stuff that fits over boots easily Use jacket alone if it's only spitting instead of pouring. Both if you are flopping in the mud puddles after a suprise downburst. I only used my gear once last year and not at all the year before. Could have done without if I wasn't worried about being a little damp and muddy (woos). It was never cold.

--

Regards,

Another choice is "Frog-Togs" ( I think that is right) My son bought a set for the Mississippi Monsoon... I mean MIssissippi Classiic last year and wore them the entire time. Stayed dry both inside and out. Material must be Gore-Tex or something like it. He also wore a pair of rubber boots with them.

FWIW

dj

I've not found any rain gear that would allow for total freedom of movement, so always ended up removing the rain gear prior to shooting. I just figure bring extra clothing.

FYI for flat landers - Be aware that at high altitude, when it rains, the air temperature would drop quite a bit - I've seen it gone from 95 down to 65 in 30 minutes, there is no such thing as 'warm rain' at 6,500 feet so be ready with cool weather clothing.

As a person who's worked outside in the weather for a significant portion of their carear I'll tell you what I found is the most workable (bear in mind getn'er done in the rain is always going to be a little sucky, wet, and less fun)

I have a pair of Oiled Cotton Chaps from Filson. 28L.jpg

This leave your belt available and reasonable access to your jean pockets, they shed water and allow great freedom of movement and they can be pulled on over your boots. With the open top and bottom and nothing covering your pelvis area, they ventalate well. These are also very useful during the summer if you have to work in stickers and briars.

Over the top I wear a Helly-Hanson duster length rain coat from Cabelas.

i920215vr01.jpg

This is a heavy duty ruberized canvas which is 100% waterproof and not breathable, but the cut of the coat allows lots of air circulation up the sleeves under the hem and through the back vent.

Between the two pieces you're as protected from the rain as you can be, but you've got a lot of ventalation so you dont sweat up so much inside that you create the problem you're trying to avoid.

Dont let anyone talk you into Gore Tex. Here's why. Remember the definition of "osmosis" from high school chemistry/biology"? "Osmosis is the passage of water from a region of high water concentration through a semi-permeable membrane to a region of low water concentration." Gore tex is a semi permible membrane. Now, you tell me, if its raining outside what's the relative humidity? 100% or darn close to it right. So, if moisture from your body is going to defuse from inside your suit to outside your rain suit the "water concentration" in your suit has to be higher than the outside air. Untill the air inside the suit is more humid than the outside air you'll be lolling about in your own sweat no different than if you were wearing saran wrap. In fact if the outside air is more humid than the air next to your skin, the suit will draw moisture in; osmosis works both ways. The dirty little gore tex seceret is that it really only works (breathes and moves moisture away from your body) when the ambient tempature is below freezing and the moisture freezes out of the air leaving the air relatively dry. Then there's a moisture gradient that will draw the water away from your body.

So, if you're just talking about above freezing level rain, you need gear that will keep the rain off of you while alowing as much ventilation as possible. Gathered elastic cuffs and waist bands just seal the sweat it. The gear I describe above does and its all tough as nails "workwear".

When I think rain gear for any shooting sports I tend to think cold or wet weather hunting clothes. It doesn't have to be camo and a lot of the manufacturers offer non camo versions of their gore tex jackets. Another thing I think of is Wet weather gear from REI. I have a pair of gore tex pants that I tend to keep in the vehicle from Oct-April. I need to get a gore tex jacket still, and will probably go with something like Columbia light weather gore tex, something I can put over other stuff or wear on it's own. The cover alls look good, but I tend to stay away from cotton and tend toward gore tex or other breathable materials.

Vince

down here in Fla my gore-tex and wall-tex stuff tend to let me down, not enough partial pressure difference to work well.... A friend that is a commercial fisherman in Alaska recommended Helly Hansen and I've been a believer since.... It's hard to beat a GI poncho for a frog strangler like we sometimes get, and some of the european imports are pretty good bargains...I bow to the wisdom of you living in the area of the match, it has been so damn hot down here am ready for a little cool weather.... regards Les

I've seen it go from 95 down to 65 in 30 minutes, there is no such thing as 'warm rain' at 6,500 feet so be ready with cool weather clothing

Coming from the Pacific Northwest coast where +70 degrees is considered a heat wave. Raton in the rain at 65 degrees was just like shirtsleeve weather at home, but without the pea soup fog ;-)

I recommend going to your local motorcycle touring shop and looking at one piece motorcycle rain suits. The only problem (besides price) most of the suits don't have enough ventilation so you tend to be damp from perspiration at the end of the day. Most of the suits have excellent freedom of movement because they're designed to be worn sitting down, yet they don't flap all over the place like some regular rain suits.

Attaching gear to the outside is problematic. I still haven't gotten around to glueing/vulcanizing my inner gun belt to my suit yet. One of these days.... In the mean time I just wear the outerbelt and cinch it a little tighter than usual.

Nolan

Skilled, but otherwise unremarkable.

The Filson chaps work really well, have used them for years actually wore out a pair when I guided. If you want to shoot in your rain gear try some of the canoeing or white water gear. Just a light weight cover up that fits close to the body and doesn't hang down over your gear would be the ticket. Some of the colors are a bit bright, make it easy for your friends to find you. All but one day we were done shooting before the rain came last year, hope for the same this time. Keith