Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load For 9mm, 167-170pf, Kimber Target Ii

Roadrider18

I just got the Kimber Stainless Target II in 9mm for my daughter to start shooting IPDA/IPSC.

The Blue Press (Aug05) ran an article by Duane Thomas regarding soft recoil loads. Unfortunately, recipes weren't provided.

Has anyone worked up a recipe for this pistol using 147gr Montana Gold bullets meeting the 165pf floor? I guess, psi is the critical issue with this bullet and powder, N320, discussed in the article.

The goal here, is SAFE, reliable operation with reduce recoil.

Thanks to all responses!

Bill

The gun you have mentioned, a Kimber in 9mm, would fall into the USPSA L-10 division. L-10 has a minimum bullet diameter of .400 to make major. So she will be scored minor. There is no good reason to have a load greater than say 135 - 140 pf and some may say no reaon for it to be that high since the floor for minor is 125.

IDPA has the same pf for ESP, just different magazine pouch and holster restritions.

VV has published loads making this pf for 124 & 147 gr bullets.

Bill

With a 9 mm all you need is a 125PF unless you are planning to shoot USPSA Open div. IF so the Kimber would not really be what you would want to shoot.

You will be limited to Minor PF in all the USPSA classes unless to try Open. You might try Limited 10 minor...

I am not familiar with the IDPA classes enough to tell you what class you would be shooting in there.

Guys, maybe it's some kind of punishment / child abuse thing, making his poor daughter shoot those screamers.

I'd say if she's been really bad borrow some 115 gr, major ammo from an open shooter. Hell have her shoot them without ear protection. You could even take the grips off the gun. Or wrap it in barbed wire.

Or a "J frame" with some .357 AP rounds.

How about a G29 and some Corbon +p+?

TC Contender pistol in .475 H&H?

I have a Ti / Scandium, 3" .44 Mag (also without grips) she can shoot some of those hot, Garret 300gr "hammerhead" Elk loads through if her behavior doesn't improve.

Jesus man, be humane....just spank her.

sorry just kidding. :D

I was thinking that just couldn't bring myself to type it :)

But I did shoot 9mm minor open for a long time and used hard cast 147 in front of 4.1 of Ramshot Silhouette, shot nice. matter of a fact just ran some thru the other day after shooting major in a shorty all year and after the first shot cleared and checked to see if the bullet made it out of the barrel............. :D

Bill,

There is no need for a major pf load for a singlestack in 9mm. She will be in ESP in IDPA which has a power floor of 125, and will be scored minor in IPSC with 9mm so no need to go above 125 either.

Not to mention 165 pf will be everything but "reduced recoil" which is what you are looking for.

Do a couple of searches for "minor 9mm" " N320" "9mm titegroup" and you should be able to get a few starting loads to work with. Good luck and good job bringing your daughter into the sport.

BTW it is pretty hard to load 9mm for less $$ than you can buy it.

Take care, Craig

Roadrider18,

Welcome to the forums.

The rules are such, that for IDPA and USPSA, the gun mentioned will be shooting Minor Power Factor...which is 125pf in both games. No need...and, certainly no desire...to try to push 9mm up to Major.

A soft shooting load can indeed be had with 147's. I'd strongly suggest TiteGroup as the powder to try.

In the meantime, get shooting with some Winchester Val-u-paks from Walmart or some Blazer (both in 115g FMJ).

OK guys......Minor it shall be!!!

I was merely going by the article I just read in the Blue Press regarding shooting Major with the 9mm..... I shoot Major with both the 40 and 45 in the L10 and I just naturally assumed there wasn't much problem bumping the 9 to Major (given the information in the article).

I have plently of recipes for the floor plus 5 for the 9mm, I was just interested in Major.

Bill

I use an XD9 4" barrel. my load is 4.5gr of titegroup with a 115gr. MG JHP. Across the screens :1144, 1147, 1149,1150,1146 PF126 OAL 1.125

The load is fun to shoot and quite accurate. Shoot minor and have fun, better to put all the minor rounds in the center than major all over the target.

I use an XD9 4" barrel. my load is 4.5gr of titegroup with a 115gr. MG JHP. Across the screens :1144, 1147, 1149,1150,1146 PF126 OAL 1.125

The load is fun to shoot and quite accurate.  Shoot minor and have fun, better to put all the minor rounds in the center than major all over the target.

didnt have to break out the calculus to figure out that when a bullet averages 1147.2 feet per second and the bullet weights 115 grains its going to have a power factor of more than 126.

Given that a 115 grain bullet must be going at least 1087 fps to make 125 power factor and yours are going sixty feet per second faster and your claiming a power factor of 126.

power factor is bullet weight X velocity divided by 1000.

your load is making 131.9 power factor. ;)