Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

JP 14.5 Barrel - Ultralight vs Light Contour

Adamj

I am planning on ordering a 14.5 inch upper from JP to use in bay style 3 gun hoser matches. I currently have an 18 inch upper from JP and even though it isn't holding me back in any way I would like something a little faster. My question is for anyone with experience with JP's ultralight barrel contour or with any super light build. 

I worry about going too light and not being able to hold it on target during offhand shooting and possibly having to fight an increased recoil impulse that I could avoid with a slightly heavier barrel. Has anyone built one to light for competition?

-Adam

Edited by Adamj

I built a rifle that was right over 5lbs and it was bouncy. I felt noticeably slower with it. 

I'd go ultralight though because you can save the weight on the barrel and use it other places, like the comp, stock, optic, or the JP heatsink. 

I also built a 5ish pound rifle and even though it uses all the same low mass components and springs as my 3 gun rifle I wouldn't even consider using it in a match. It points nicely but putting two hits on any papet beyond 10 yards takes forever.

10 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

I also built a 5ish pound rifle and even though it uses all the same low mass components and springs as my 3 gun rifle I wouldn't even consider using it in a match. It points nicely but putting two hits on any papet beyond 10 yards takes forever.

After a rough estimation the entire rifle build weights with optics are below. 

Light Countour: 7.3lbs

Ultralight Contour: 6.8lbs

I don't think anyone would consider those super lightweight builds, but it would mean the difference of a half pound on the front of the rifle. Do you guys think I would lose the ability to hold an ultralight barrel steady for say 100 yard offhand shots due to having so much less weight out front? Or should I stop stressing, order the ultralight,  and just practice since it's the mechanic not the tool that matters?

Decided to go ahead and place an order:

14.5" Light Profile Barrel

12.5" Handguard

Titanium Comp

ULMOS Aluminum BCG

2 Piece Adjustable Gas Block

I'll throw a Trijicon TR24 on it and compare it directly to an 18" upper with the same barrel profile. I'm curious to see differences in recoil impulses and  target transitions. 

The light profile is great. You won’t notice a little extra weight once the timer goes off anyway and it does help with the bounce a little. I run the JP comp too which helps as it adds a little extra weight at the end of the barrel. 

• 2 months later...

I got the upper back from JP have put a few rounds downrange and I love it. It balances in the middle of the magwell and feels much more maneuverable than my 18 inch upper. Offhand shots are not an issue and I'm glad I got the light profile barrel as I think the ultralight might have been too light. I can't wait to run it in a match. 

I started out trying to make my rifles so light. My rifles have gotten a little heavier as I gained more experience. For me, I dont mind as little extra weight as long as it balances the rifle. That, to me, is more important. Switching from Tacops to Limited I noticed quite a difference in recoil just from taking my heavy Razor off and switching to a lightweight Spitfire. I added a PRS stock to add a little more weight back to the rifle, but the weight is against the shooter and I really like the way it handles. Your parts list looks like it should be a sweet machine. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

I did pretty much exactly what you did. I put an XLR stock on the rifle and it put a little more weight in the rear. It handles even better now than before. It jumps around a little more than my 18", but hasn't been a problem yet.