Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Caldwell Brass Catcher

Hello: I use one that clamps to the rail when I practice. Makes brass collecting so easy ? The one I have has seen some use on my AR15 as well. It works but one thing that has happened to mine is one of the detents fell out but it still holds on as long as you don't overfill it. I need to contact Caldwell about that. Not sure I would use it in a match since it may get in the way. Thanks, Eric

I've have one along with 4 of the extra pic rail attachments for my other rifles. It works really well. I've used it for 22lr, 9mm, and 5.56 without any complaints, I reload so it save my brass from banging off the concrete at the range and also the bonus of not having to chase them around.

I did make one modification to it. I used the thin plastic sheet that comes in the bottom reusable shopping bag cut and folded to fit in the top 1/3rd of the bag where the brass hits it as it ejects. It works fine without the mod, but I use it a lot and the only negative reviews seem to be the bag ripping from hot brass hitting it in the same spot and I want it to last because I like it so much.

We have a couple guys at our steel challenge club that use them and really like them... I would use one for practice but don't believe I would use one in a match.  Not shootingthe pcc currently but I may snag one up anyways for when I start again. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Is your Railway mounted to the rear of the upper or is it over the ejection port?

There is a lot of adjustment to the bags mounting point so even with a C-more mounted over the port there is enough adjustment to make it work.

Edited by Gregg K
Can't spell
3 hours ago, dmshozer1 said:

How do you show clear?

I just snatch the bag off, it takes less than a second to pull it off its detent. I pull the bag off and drop it in my cart, show clear and insert my flag. It's a lot less work than being a brass chicken.

9 minutes ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Do you think 9mm minor loads will be hot enough to burn a hole in the mesh?

I have rapidly shot through four 40 round mags in just a few minutes and not had any problems with my 9mm minor loads. I think the 5.56 rounds would be much hotter but I don't see any problems for 9mm. I'm happy so far.