Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stock 2 and 124 blue bullet issues

fishwalker

So this is my first stock 2 and I have a few questions. I am trying to use a 124 blue bullet and its checking fine by 2  9mm case gauges(a wilson gauge and a shockbottle hundo) and cycles fine in a glock 34 (all of this is using a dummy bullet)  but will not go into battery using the stock two. I was going to see if  the barrel service patriot defense provides will help  my issues. Anybody have any words of wisdom I'm a rookie guys I love the gun shoots great compared to the glock. Thanks for all the help guys this is my first gun of all this type 

Edited by fishwalker

1.10 is my OAL. Works with Truncated cone and round nose. I was having feeding issues with 125 round nose blue bullets in my stock 2 but truncated ones have worked very well. I've just stuck with them, although I'm sure either would work. Truncated bullets seem to make a cleaner hole in paper too

Yeah keep taking it down until it works with your load. I wouldn't worry about getting the barrel reamed unless you have some sort of issues beyond this. I wouldn't think it's necessary unless shooting factory ammo or wanting to load something hotter than most of us load for minor PF (

Take the barrel out of the gun.

Drop a loaded round in and make sure it falls in freely. Try to spin it. If it doesn’t rotate easily the bullet is catching in the rifling and your leade is too short for that bullet. You can either shorten your ammo or get the barrel reamed.

You’ll still have problems at 1.140”. Most loads in a stock Tanfo end up being 1.090” to 1,110” with fat, round nose coated bullets, but the profile of your bullet determines how long you can get away with - they vary wildly.

Get the barrel reamed. You can load at 1.150” with most bullets all day long.

12 hours ago, fishwalker said:

So this is my first stock 2 and I have a few questions. I am trying to use a 124 blue bullet and its checking fine by 2  9mm case gauges(a wilson gauge and a shockbottle hundo) and cycles fine in a glock 34 (all of this is using a dummy bullet)  but will not go into battery using the stock two. I was going to see if  the barrel service patriot defense provides will help  my issues. Anybody have any words of wisdom I'm a rookie guys I love the gun shoots great compared to the glock. Thanks for all the help guys this is my first gun of all this type 

As John mentioned, these Euro guns have tight & short (comparatively) chambers. Get it reamed to use practically any bullet at any length.

11 hours ago, DKnoch said:

1.10 is my OAL. Works with Truncated cone and round nose. I was having feeding issues with 125 round nose blue bullets in my stock 2 but truncated ones have worked very well. I've just stuck with them, although I'm sure either would work. Truncated bullets seem to make a cleaner hole in paper too

Interesting the RN gives you issues; I've run several thousand of each in both my Stock 2's without issue. I do agree the Trunc's make prettier holes.

11 hours ago, fishwalker said:

thanks I'll take is down a little shorter  I'm going to try to take it down to 1.14 -1.145 then go shorter if needed thanks for the help 

Gonna need to be roughly 1.07-1.10" based on my experience. It's not required to ream the barrel but will give a lot more freedom of length. For instance my reamed barrel can load a .356 coated bullet out to 1.17; cool to know but I still load at 1.10"ish due to accuracy with my setup.

Thanks, I was going to try blue bullets 124,147 and acme 124,147 to try and find a load my stock likes. Thanks again for the help guys I was to be honest a little shocked that I had to get going shorter when the other guns cycled the longer bullets with no issue. I just wanted to ask before going any shorter. I'll also get the barrel reamed just to get me flexibility.

This is my first tanfo and its great gun just I have a lot to learn. 

1 hour ago, B21 said:

I had the same problem.  Sent my barrel to Patriot, and now I can load out to 1.150 if I choose.  It's totally worth the price 

They are FAST turning them around usually by the next day.  And very inexpensive for the peace of mind. 

I was loading Bayou  135 down to 1.06 to pass plunk test.   Now, i can load anything that fits in the mag.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2018 at 6:29 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

A 124 blue can probably be loaded to 1.120 or 1.125ish with the factory chamber.

The 124 Acme can probably be loaded even longer - their new mold profile is supposed to be REALLY short-chamber friendly.

FWIW I had to load the 124gr Acme's to 1.115 ish. Same as Leatherhead/Galliant. 1.120 was the very max.

Well so much for that theory. Thanks for the info!

Ironically enough I just finished reaming damn near every gun I own to feed a fat coated round-nosed 135gr to 1.160” including two Walthers and my PCC.

Obviously, I got a new custom *carbide* reamer that fits polygonal rifling... and life is now good. Hardened barrels or not, I got them all to play nice with longer ammo. ;)