Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RTS2 zero after removal?

nelson1each

Hi guys...new to open. Question. If I remove my RTS2 from the mount and then put it back on how jacked up, if any, will the zero be? The reason I ask is I’m wondering if I get a spare site could I swap them to zero it and then have a back up zerod and ready to roll? 

My experience is the same. it's not going to way off, but most likely not perfect. In a pinch if you need to change it out during a match it will be good enough to get you through. I've swapped out sites and tested against paper for the same reason and it was negligible. Granted I probably had a bit of luck on my side, but none the less it was close enough if I had to choose between finishing and not finishing. 

I’ve had them return perfectly as well as be a little off with the same site and same mount. Things like a chunk of loctite or order of screw tightening/torquing can plan into it.

It will likely be close but who knows until you shoot it and see.  

Whats weirder is that out of the box with 2-RTS2 and 2 DPP sights, they’ve all only been a couple clicks off of good one way or the other which seems crazy to me

Anytime you remove an optic, regardless of make, type, or fancy pants mount, the zero should be checked.  I’ve got an RMR on an ADM quick release that returns to zero pretty doggone well as long as I put it back on the same picattinny spot, but I ‘d still check it before going to a match if possible. I once shot a Steel Challenge match and took it on and off between each stage and was impressed with the setup and it’s ability to hold zero at the end of the day.  

To answer your question on the back up, sure I’d zero it and then remove and store for backup so it’s as close to zero as possible if you have to do a fast swap out right before a stage, but then I’d hustle to a free bay to check zero right after. The good news is that most stages don’t require pinpoint accuracy or super long shots, so you’d probably be fine if you have to shoot a stage or two till you get to a point where you can verify zero.  

Edited by jkrispies

Thanks for the info guys...pretty much what I was expecting and wanting to do...have a backup that is zerod enough to be worth having a backup in a pinch. Waiting to hear back from c more if they do mil sales. Leoupold does some deals where their stuff is basically half off for mil/Leo sales...man if c more does that I’ll have a backup for the backup ?

Which moa are you running?  I like the 8moa on my pistol and rimfire steel rifle but also have a 6moa on my PCC that I like for that application.  With three of them, I’ve got backups abound while still using them instead of having them just sit in a bag.  This might be an opportunity to get a different sized moa for another (future?) gun or to just try a different moa.  Food for thought.  

Edited by jkrispies

When you take a DPP or RTS2 off for any reason, you can return it to the same spot.  When you screw the sight down, push the back forward against the locating pins before tightening the screws.  If you take it off, replace it using the same technique.  If you do it correctly with either of these two sights, it will be zero'd.  If not, you will not be off enough to miss the farthest steel challenge target.

BTW, the locating pins on the Burris FF3 mount are much more precise and allow no wiggle when the sight is placed on the.  You can remove and replace a FF3 from the mount as many times as you like and you will not lose zero.

BTW2, a backup GUN is better than a backup sight.  You never know what will break.

Edited by zzt

2 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Which moa are you running?  I like the 8moa on my pistol and rimfire steel rifle but also have a 6moa on my PCC that I like for that application.  With three of them, I’ve got backups abound while still using them instead of having them just sit in a bag.  This might be an opportunity to get a different sized moa for another (future?) gun or to just try a different moa.  Food for thought.  

I think it’s an 8...whatever comes on the CK arms open guns. Not really sure how I could tell but the dot is pretty big so I’m guessing an 8