Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trouble transitioning to 929

Justin M

I've been seriously shooting USPSA Revolver division for about four months now.  In the last few weeks I've starting switching over to a 929.  I also made a number of gear changes at the same time.  Of course, this is likely a recipe for disaster, right?!  I switched over from a TRR8 shooting what folks call .38 "Mid" Colt out of a Safariland 002 holster (cut down and tuned).  I was using a Moonclip Server (which, if nothing else, is crazy clever...).  Now I'm shooting a 929 out of a DAA Alpha-X and feeding it from DAA magnetic moonclip posts.  I had tried the "Big Butt" grips on the 929, but switched back to the Miceluk grips quickly.  The two guns have the same sights, grips, trigger setups, cylinder release, etc.

The problem is that my points percentage with the 929 dropped to about 65% (with penalties) from about 85% (with penalties) for the TRR8.  The 929 shoots as well from the rest, if not better, than the TRR8.  Reloads are working out just fine, even though I just broke the edges on the 929 versus silly big chamfers on the TRR8.  My times are running about the same with both guns.  I'm just not able to shoot as well with the 929.  

I have nothing else to suspect other than the comically long tube on the 929 or the weight of the gun (which is not immediately apparent to me when shooting) versus the TRR8.  

Has anyone else had this issue moving to the 929?

What does the load like with your 929? Is it's accurate? What does an 8 or 16 round group look like at 25? 

Did you remove or drill out your 929 end cap?

1 minute ago, MWP said:

What does the load like with your 929? Is it's accurate? What does an 8 or 16 round group look like at 25? 

Did you remove or drill out your 929 end cap?

For the 929, it shoots better from the rest and from deliberate free-style than the TRR8.  The 929 is about a 2" gun at 20yds.  The TRR8 is around 3" at 20yds.    

I do not have either the comp or the end cap installed.

Mechanically, I'm at a loss for why this would happen.  Pretty sure it's the nut behind the trigger.

1 minute ago, Justin M said:

For the 929, it shoots better from the rest and from deliberate free-style than the TRR8.  The 929 is about a 2" gun at 20yds.  The TRR8 is around 3" at 20yds.    

I do not have either the comp or the end cap installed.

Mechanically, I'm at a loss for why this would happen.  Pretty sure it's the nut behind the trigger.

Well you suggested it so I wouldn't have to say it first.... 

But I believe you're most likely correct, unfortunately. Maybe some extra practice to get comfortable with the swap and realize it's a good gun, and probably not better or worse than your trr8. 

Hogue will make you a JM grip with big butt attached, I have pictures of you want to see them, kind of a best of both worlds. 

2 minutes ago, MWP said:

Well you suggested it so I wouldn't have to say it first.... 

But I believe you're most likely correct, unfortunately. Maybe some extra practice to get comfortable with the swap and realize it's a good gun, and probably not better or worse than your trr8. 

Hogue will make you a JM grip with big butt attached, I have pictures of you want to see them, kind of a best of both worlds. 

But practice is hard!  For me, extra practice is any practice beyond chrono'ing.  This has only changed in the last few days - out of frustration with this gun swap.  Might be the start of a good habit.  

The other issue, I suspect it might be is that I just made M with the revolvers, so I might need to change my mental game with the added pressure of chasing 95% now.  Could be entirely unrelated to the gun swap.  Might be incidental.

I'm not sure if it's something for a PM or for this thread, but I'd love to see those grips. 

Thanks!

Took me a month to 6 weeks to get used to the length and weight of the 929. Then it was fine. Never got used to how ugly it was imho.

So sold it and went back to a 627 fwiw

6 hours ago, Justin M said:

The other issue, I suspect it might be is that I just made M with the revolvers, so I might need to change my mental game with the added pressure of chasing 95% now.  Could be entirely unrelated to the gun swap.  Might be incidental.

I would bet on this being the answer. 

I have seen many shooters, and done it myself, make a breakthrough of one sort or another in their game and have another part (usually accuracy) go to heck. 

I started with the TRR8 also, but then I moved onto a 627 V-Comp, the heaviest gun that you can go with! I like heavier guns and actually enjoy shooting them. I don't really think that a heavier gun will limit your shooting capabilities, I think that people get caught up with the "lighter must be faster mentality". In a game where fractions if a second count, you can probably argue this but you still need to get X's or Alphas regardless of the weight.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk