Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First time shooting classic targets, partials, and activators

green_three

I went to my first sanctioned USPSA match on Saturday. I typically shoot an indoor IDPA-like match at my local range once a month, and an outlaw all steel match at a different range. As the title states I've never shot classic targets before. What I learned from the match is that my paper to steel transitions are poor, and in general my throttle control isn't as good as I had thought. In dry fire I work close to medium to long distance only or reverse. I will start to work medium to long to close distances now or variations thereof. 

Never shot a paper swinger or a drop turner before either. I hit the NS in front of both activators. 

The classifier was CM 13-04 - The Roscoe Rattle. 1 string of a bill drill, then another string of 1 bill drill, reload, 1 bill drill. In the moment of the first string I noticed I was really mashing my trigger to the rear, applying too much pressure to the trigger. A lot of the hits went low into the C and D zone. In dry fire I don't really work on multiple shots, and really gripping the gun throughout multiple shots. I noticed that the gun was really porpoising during that first string. I admittedly haven't done very many bill drills in my life due to me just thinking they're a waste of ammo, but now I've seen the light and will work on it during live fire whenever I can. 

Any other comments or critiques are welcome!

Edited by green_three

If that is 52%, you must have Some Serious competition    :eatdrink:

One thought is, don't stick your pistol thru the ports if you don't 

have to - takes time to shove them in and more time to pull

the gun back out.

Looked like some seriously good shooting, to me    :cheers:

Yes, then the percentage of the classifier should have been over 60%. I just looked it up based on your hit factor it is 61.3674% which does make it a B. The overall percentage in a match is really meaningless as you are also competing against PCC and Open guys which usually win overall.

Edited by tanks

Drop turners, Clamshells, swingers & Bobbing targets take some practice.  Once you get used to their function and timing, It becomes easier.  I noticed one of the turners was a double turner.  With double turners, you can shoot the activator, another target then the turner to save time.  It's faster than waiting for the turner to activate.

• 3 months later...

First thing I noticed was the near 180 break at :28 seconds at the end of the first stage. As a lefty when facing to the right like that to end a stage you need to watch out when you turn the gun to drop the mag out.  Same applies to righties when facing left. 

In general it looks pretty good for a first match. You need to clean up your hits a bit (especially the penalties) and hustle more when moving and not shooting.

Edited by waktasz

Back off of the ports. Your muzzle shouldn’t be through them. You’re in all of them clear up to your knuckles.

More imporantly, you move like my grandmother.

Learn to run. Worry about all the shooting crap you’re focused on later.

Shooting saves tenths.

Learning to shoot into / out of arrays and actually moving hard? That saves *entire seconds*. Per stage.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

49 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Back off of the ports. Your muzzle shouldn’t be through them. You’re in all of them clear up to your knuckles.

More imporantly, you move like my grandmother.

Learn to run. Worry about all the shooting crap you’re focused on later.

Shooting saves tenths.

Learning to shoot into / out of arrays and actually moving hard? That saves *entire seconds*. Per stage.

Thank you for some real criticism! This is why I posted.