Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI 2011 mags (9mm)

bjames3gun

I purchased four new 2011 mags in 9mm for my Marauder last week. On my first trip to the range, the mags would not engage the slide stop so there was no lock back. These new mags were the stainless models.  The mags that came with the pistol in the Xylon finished have worked flawlessly since I got the gun about 3 weeks ago. 

Anything I can do on my end to make his work?

If you are referring to STI brand new generation mags--I noticed the same thing on my Marauder. The original gen mags go to slide lock, but the new gen STI mags (140mm length) tend not to (there is one new gen mag that will go to slide lock but if you "breathe" on the slide it will go forward). For IDPA I use 126 mm MBX mags designed to go to slide lock. I don't use the Marauder for USPSA since getting an Edge in .40 (Lim Major).

The new generation mags that came with my Hawk and the extra ones that I bought would go to slide lock with one round still in the mag. Had to do a little work on them to correct the problem they seem to be working ok now.

Have you compared the mag followers of the new magazines to the followers of the old magazines?  I'm guessing that the new followers are shaped differently so that you will not have slide lock.  With my high cap 2011 magazines, If I had slide lock the last round would not feed into my gun because it would engage the slide lock.  I opted for changing the slide stop rather than modifying/changing magazine followers. 

Had the same problem with 4 new STI Gen2 9mm mags (140mm).

I ended up sanding (400 grit paper) a few thou off the follower on the side that is opposite the side that engages the slide lock. This allowed the follower to rise up higher ever so slightly in the mag tube and engage the slide lock better.

7 hours ago, bjames3gun said:

I spoke with STI and they told me that this was a "known issue" with followers in their new mags.  They are sending me new spring/followers to fix the issue.

The springs is the new STI mags suck.  The tubes and followers are fine.  On both 40 and 9mm mags, I was having issues with the last round in the mag because there wasn't enough spring pressure to hold it against the feed lips.  Just buy some ISMI springs and be done with it.  

• 2 weeks later...