Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Load For 625

Nemo

Ok, so Winchester primers are a No-No. Learned that the hard way.

I plan on using Billy's or Masterblasters 230 black bullets for my revo loads. The only powders on my bench are N-320 and Titegroup. Any of these good for the wheelie?

Any input greatly appreciated.

Hop? Dan? Patrick? Car$? Cliff?

Clueless in roundgun world,

I have used 231 as well but found it to be dirty. I switched to 700x which was fairly clean and comfortable. currently I'm using straight clays with both lead and FMJ, 4.1 gr. with a 230 FMJ, nice load. 700x and clays are appx same volume in the .45 case, for the grs of 700x I followed the loading books

doesnt Jerry M use bullseye?

VVN310 should work good too.

i found titegroup smokes more with the black bullets than other powders...another good choice for the 45 is WST...recoils about like 231, but its cleaner!.

Hope this helps.

700x is a IMR powder that I use for my shotgun loads as well as my 45 loads. Iam not an expert on reloading either. I just happened to have a few pounds of 700x around and thought I would give it a try(IMR has loading data on the web). It worked much better than 231. I switched to clays because of the postings on this site. Seems that the comments were/are very positive especially about the soft recoil.

I hope this helps

Hi Nelson,

I'm another Clays user.

231 isn't so much dirty but leaves unburned powder grains in the cylinder thus making reloads difficult.

Bullseye, ok for plated / jacketed, but the lead-moly bullets i use can become really dirty quickly.

Intersting note: according to Hodgdons list of "comparisons", Clays is a faster burning powder than Bullseye. But the real comparison would be at the range and what works the best !!!!

Hope all is well with the boys and you,

Dan

I use the 230gr Billy bullets (i'm sponsered by Rudy) and I use 3.9gr of VV N310 and it runs 172pf. I've tried 320, but it burned dirty, left a lot of gritty residue in my 625. I do load the bullets longer about 1.35, it doesn't matter to me since I don't own any semi-auto 45's.

I use the 230gr Billy bullets (i'm sponsered by Rudy) and I use 3.9gr of VV N310 and it runs 172pf.  I've tried 320, but it burned dirty, left a lot of gritty residue in my 625.  I do load the bullets longer about 1.35, it doesn't matter to me since I don't own any semi-auto 45's.

Yeah, I load shorter than the manual with N320 to decrease fouling. I load to 31.5mm (instead of 32.0 which is in the manual)

By the way, I shot some loads with Vectan BA10 the other day and I know I'll switch to that after my stash of N320 runs out. It's like shooting minor! And no fouling!

Thank you all!! What about Titegroup? I Have 8 pounds of that stuff and Masterblasters recommends against it in their website for the black bullets.

Again, GRACIAS!!

ps: Dan, the boys say Hola!

Thank you all!!  What about Titegroup?  I Have 8 pounds of that stuff and  Masterblasters recommends against it in their website for the black bullets.

Again, GRACIAS!!

ps:  Dan,  the boys say Hola!

Nemo, I switched to Clays for the 625 a while back...burns cleaner...

practice load

230/200 Bear Creek RN moly coated, federal primer, 2.7 grains of Clays, anything lower it tends to tumble in my 625 4"...

match load

same bullet, just up it to 4.2 grains for pf of 168...

I can get same pf in my 5" springfield's dropping down to 3.9 grains, thanks to the longer barrel and no cylinder gap.

I'm doing a conversion to Titegroup in about a week, should be fairly close charge rates...

michaels

Doug wrote: "Intersting note: according to Hodgdons list of "comparisons", Clays is a faster burning powder than Bullseye. But the real comparison would be at the range and what works the best !!!!"

The really fast powders are:

N-310 (single base)

straight Clays (double base)

Bullseye "

Titegroup "

The fast powders have always been approriate for use in low-pressure .45 ACP at reasonable velocities (read: Major).

I am a fan of both N-310 (costly though) and Clays (clean & cheap). As for Bullseye, it is definitly cleaner than black powder - but not by much.

Nemo wrote: "Masterblasters recommends against it in their website for the black bullets."

While I like the consistency & price of Titegroup, it is reported by Dwayne to have has the highest nitro content at 37%. I believe it burns hotter than comparable powders. It may burn away the black bullet coating more than other powders - particularly the cool burning single base powders.

Regards,

D.

Last week my local indoor range asked me to chrono some new ammo they were thinking of selling for use indoors at their range. They gave me a box of .50 loads and a new X frame smith with a 4 inch barrel. After firing a bunch and getting a chrono reading, they gave me a couple of locally reloaded rounds of .50, all of them with W231. I did get through two rounds, but there was so much unburnt powder that the cylinder needed to be removed and cleaned before we could use the gun again. I forgot what that load chrono'd at, but it wasn't much behind the first load which was running titegroup as a propellent. Titegroup burned really well and didn't look like a diesel bus exhaust when done shooting.

Geez, I used to use W231 in all of my 45 loads until I came to this forum, and learned that's not a wise thing to do...

michaels

WST should be good

but if you shoot in lots of different climates(IE hot and cold) it might not be the best choice.

if you have 8 pounds of titegroup try it...i shot some with the 45 and titegroup and only noticed the increased smoke and slightly more recoil than Clays or WST. with black bullets its really not that bad as the smoke isnt heavy wax smoke from plain lead but its the coating smoke.

lead bullets and titegroup= musket brigade.

with 230 grain plated/jacketed bullets TG is cleaner than 45 ball ammo.

I use 3.8 to 4.0 grains of clays depending on the bullet at 1.250 oal

4.0 to 4.6 grains WST depending on the bullet

and 4.0-4.5 grains titegroup depending on bullet again...

all of the loads were loaded with 230 grain bullets and the trusty federal large pistol primer.

most of my loads make anywhere from borderline 165 power factor to 172 out of my 5 inch auto....might lose some in a revo.

Edited by harmongreer

I've tried both Precision and Master Blaster Bullets in .45 acp with everything from 540, Titegroup, Clays, Universal Clays, Ramshot Zip and Bullseye.

Not had good luck at all.

The Precision Bullets work great in a 1911.

The Precision Bullets in my PC625 leave a slight but, tough coating (the Moly I would surmise) in the barrel.

The Master Blaster Bullets, got them in May, leave a lot of lead/tough coating in the barrel of my 1911.

The Master Blaster Bullets will have the bore of my PC625 looking like a shotgun bore in less than 50 rounds. Even with Ramshot Zip, Zip actually left flakes of powder also.

I even broke down and did the "Taylor Throating" reamer (Brownells or Clymers have them) and it made no difference.

Don't know if I just got a bad batch, or what.

Tried Raniers and Berry Plated bullets, they work fine but would get an unexplained flyer every 2 or 3 cylinders. Seemed to happen only when I was actually slowing down and aiming too? Taylor Throating helped.

Using Montana Gold now and they seem the best. Tried WW FMJ and they did ok.

With Titegroup you will get a hard residue on the frame, it takes a bit to scrub it off, too. Clays seems to work best, it's clean and any residue is easy to wipe off.

Start at 4.0 grains of Clays and work up until you hit 170+ (740 f/s) with a 230fmj.