Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon 650 Primer Punch Block Wear

So, I've been struggling with light strikes in only one of my guns, My P365. roughly 5-7% click no bang rate.

I've been through the press and for those that don't happen to have one, there isn't an adjustment for primer seating depth. 

I measured the depth on some primers on rounds I had made a week or so ago and found it ranged from .001" to .008" primer depth. So, I'd be willing to bet that the 5 or 7 per 100 light strikes that I've been getting with my P365 was on the lesser depth primers as some have suggested here.

Of course, Im willing to admit freely that most of the time when I've had issues with my press consistency, it can be attributed to consistent lever cycling by me.

So, I took these 100 rounds that I sat and depth tested the primers on, and ran them back through station 2 only to see if I could seat them more deeply by using added force, above what I thought I'd normally use when in full progressive mode. I remeasured, and then took those to the range and they all ran through my P365 with zero light strikes or failure to fires.

Looking even harder at my press, after the initial inspection to make sure everything was tight, I have found that the top of the support bracket that the primer seating punch is forced against to set the primer has objectionable wear.

So my question for the Dillon 650 users is, do you have wear like this on yours? I suspect that the wear is a couple thousandths deep, but I'm not at home to actually measure it, so best I can do is ask if any of you have similar wear.

I've already contacted Dillon for a replacement.

attachment.php?attachmentid=107610&stc=1

The part number is # 13488

I went through this a couple of years ago, still had the occasional light strike. I finally chalked it up to me not pushing all the way (randomly) add to that I use mixed brass that doesn't always feel the same just compounding the situation, I figured I either had to fix the problem, or buy a 1050. What I ended up doing is "double tapping" the primer seat stroke. I just hit it twice. I have not had a light strike since then which is around 30K rounds. Just a thought. Good luck

Those of us who  have loaded for double action guns with light hammer springs on a 650 feel your pain.

1. You didn’t mention primer brand. When we say CCIs are hard, that means more than just how much firing force is needed. They primer won’t be seated as deeply in a tighter pocket either.

Winchester and S&B (and obviously Federal unobtanium) primers will seat much more easily than CCIs. That means the press can drive them more deeply into tighter primer pockets. I’ve personally loaded Win S&B and CCI back to back in mixed brass and measured to verify.

2. Loosen the bolts, slip a piece of a washer or sheetmetal under that worn bracket to shim it upward, and load some ammo with the punch 1/16” higher. You might like what happens. I’ve had my 650 like that for 10,000 or so rounds.

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

2. Loosen the bolts, slip a piece of a washer or sheetmetal under that worn bracket to shim it upward, and load some ammo with the punch 1/16” higher. You might like what happens. I’ve had my 650 like that for 10,000 or so rounds.

I had to do this with my 650 and it works.  You have to go slow and feel the primer in then a firm push; then I give it a second tap.  Federal GM has a tendency to crush ever so slightly and I now use Winchester primers with no issues.   My primer depth ranges from .004 to .008.  Since doing this for many years now, I have not had a primer related failure to fire.   But that's some serious indentations you have there on that bracket Vent.  My 650 is more than 17 years young and my bracket is bright on the contact surface, but no indentations. 

Dillon mailed the replacement punch and bracket but I haven’t installed yet as I’ve been out of town.  I do believe though that there’s enough punch stroke still with that groove to fully seat the primer.  I think I wasn’t fully forward stroking the handle the last couple thou roughly 5% of the time. 

‘I will feel better about it though installing parts that don’t have that wear. Must’ve been softer than usual metal I guess. 

Thanks all

Make sure the primer punch block assembly is fully seated—use a 9/16” wrench.  I have had intermittent high primers since my 650 was new.  I attributed it to technique and speed, but today I all at once every round had a high primer.   It turns out the punch assembly was about ready to fall off!

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/238771-650-and-high-primer-issue/#comment-2661223