Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC: Bought vs Built

They are 5.5" with a pinned shroud?  So you just load your normal production loads for it?  Also, you dont need to have a comp since it is an aluminum tube for the most part, will this be too quiet for the timer?

They are 5.25” plus shroud if memory serves.
You can use your normal production loads and get the same power factor out of the PCC.
There’s no comp, and it’s anything but quiet so no worries about the timer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[mention=57674]1911luvr[/mention]would you recommend the ramped version?

Yes, but only if you run the Taccom bolt that is cut for ramped barrels. If you run a JP bolt you will need to either cut the bolt for the ramp or buy a non-ramped barrel. Using a JP bolt with a Taccom ramped barrel leaves a nasty dent in the ramp as my buddy discovered.

[mention=57674]1911luvr[/mention]  Thank you for the info!  I think I will look into the ramped barrel with the taccom bolt.  Seems like a good combo in terms of feeding reliability.  Plus I can use production loads, that makes loading for the PCC very convenient!

I’ve never had a feeding problem caused by that bolt or barrel. The only feeding problems I have had were from changing my load’s OAL without first checking to make sure it fed correctly in my big sticks. Oops.

On 5/24/2018 at 2:26 AM, war_material said:

Well after much deliberation I decided I will build my new rig with the following:

QC10 Pistol MUR Upper and Glock lower

Hyperfire 24C

JP 16" Barrel & Comp, Bolt and SCS

C-More 4MOA Railway

Total Build Cost=                         1753

Total GMR15 Cost (No Dot)=     1700 

Transfer my ACE Stock and Taccom Carbon Handguard over to the new one and put a spare magpul stock & UTG handguard on the backup.  Looks like this would be an effective and reliable rig to move forward.  Any thoughts or experiences on the build?

nice proven combo 

I would go with a custom built platform. I am going to PCC exclusively from Open and I can tell you a spec built platform will do you justice. I have a MPX now but I have a JP GMR-15 on the way. I could piece together an open gun but it will never run as good as one built by a master gunsmith. Also, when you add up the cost for all the parts for testing you will be close if not over the cost of a custom spec carbine. In open we say buy once cry once; it is the same in PCC. When I get my JP, I will be ordering another one as my backup. So I will be crying twice...lol.

Edited by BiggMike
If you have a look at the new Jones Arms Kronos, you will see that you don't need a ramped barrel, they feed everything and run great.

I’ve never needed a ramped barrel on any of my PCC lowers, but it certainly doesn’t hurt.

22 hours ago, benny hill said:

nice proven combo 

Thanks I actually changed my mind last minute,

Taccom ramped Barrel, Taccom extreme Bolt, and taccom 2 stage buffer.  :)

Excited to see how it feels in a QC10 upper and lower with a hyperfire 24C.  I think it will be a real soft-shooting and reliable platform.

2 hours ago, war_material said:

Thanks I actually changed my mind last minute,

Taccom ramped Barrel, Taccom extreme Bolt, and taccom 2 stage buffer.  :)

Excited to see how it feels in a QC10 upper and lower with a hyperfire 24C.  I think it will be a real soft-shooting and reliable platform.

That's pretty much the setup I have and I haven't had any issues with it... Granted pretty low mileage, only about 5000 rounds or so, but zero hiccups

On 5/23/2018 at 3:20 PM, war_material said:

Is the JP bolt sensitive to the magazine angle?  I mean does it have to be completely perfect for it to chamber a round or does it allow for a little leeway? Sorry it's a silly question, but I am running into this issue from time to time.

Good question.  I haven’t noticed any issues with magazine angle, tho I will say that if Shooting prone I mono-pod off the mag I sometimes get jams -but I think that has more to do with pushing the mag farther into the receiver than changing the mag angle.  

On 5/26/2018 at 7:08 PM, 12Bravo said:

That's pretty much the setup I have and I haven't had any issues with it... Granted pretty low mileage, only about 5000 rounds or so, but zero hiccups

That’s great to hear, if there has been nothing for 5k rounds I would say that’s pretty dang good! 

On 5/26/2018 at 11:12 PM, 2MoreChains said:

Good question.  I haven’t noticed any issues with magazine angle, tho I will say that if Shooting prone I mono-pod off the mag I sometimes get jams -but I think that has more to do with pushing the mag farther into the receiver than changing the mag angle.  

Right on that makes sense. I haven’t shot it prone yet but I know I can induce a Jam if I push the bottom of my mag forward. It’s weird but I have to kind of ull it towards me when I chamber that first round. After that everything is all good. Definitely an angle issue with my lower. I am using a cmmg bolt too

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2018 at 3:26 AM, war_material said:

Well after much deliberation I decided I will build my new rig with the following:

QC10 Pistol MUR Upper and Glock lower

Hyperfire 24C

JP 16" Barrel & Comp, Bolt and SCS

C-More 4MOA Railway

What is the difference between the QC10 standard billet upper receiver and the MUR version?  Did you choose the MUR version for some reason?

What did you use for your selector switch?

Now that you've had it built for a while...  How do you like it?  How does it shoot?

just an FYI, my build list is as follows:

JP Barrel 16", JP Bolt and 3 port Comp
QC10 upper and lower reciever (with QC10 ineternals)
Taccom adjustable buffer
spare Handguard & buffer tube/stock.

= about $1,500

JP Built rifle = $1700+

Sig 16 inch mpx 1600 plus 500 in mags

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
10 hours ago, RaylanGivens said:

What is the difference between the QC10 standard billet upper receiver and the MUR version?  Did you choose the MUR version for some reason?

What did you use for your selector switch?

Now that you've had it built for a while...  How do you like it?  How does it shoot?

Hello!  I have the standard billet and so far I love it.  I have the standard selector switch from the QC10 standard parts kit included in my order.  I had to lube it up because it was very stiff but now it feels great.  After putting a techwell magwell on, reloads are stupid easy. It is a great lower and I have not had any problems with it. 

I think the QC10 lower is a keeper for me, so far I put a little over 1K rounds and a local match in which I won HOA with the Taccom barrel.  I ended up switching my barrel back to a 16" faxon without a feed ramp and have yet to have any issues from a range trip yesterday sighting it in and shooting about 100+ rounds playing around with it.  I only switched because I am not used to the way the taccom barrel moves the dot and I was getting a lot of Charlies on follow up shots which happened a whole lot less on my old barrel.  I prefer the way my faxon barrel recoils with a light load making 130-135PF.  Sillouette steel at 125 yards offhand is a breeze.  

I am very happy that I went with the QC10 lower and upper, I think it is a match made in heaven as far as how light and streamline it is.