Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Review of CGW RRK in Shadow 2

StandardError

I bought the Shadow 2 RRK on Saturday and it was delivered today. I figured I'd install it and provide a before and after comparison so people could see whether they'd gain anything from the kit. 

Spoiler alert: I am very pleased. 

First, the before:

rrk4.png

The most surprising result was that it actually decreased my DA trigger pull by 0.5 lbs and my SA trigger pull by a quarter. The reset is as crisp as it was with the previous fitted disconnector. 

Also, since I have short, stubby hands, I finally can reach the DA trigger at a much more comfortable distance. 

I, certainly, am one happy camper. 

4 hours ago, HI5-O said:

What role does the two set screws in the trigger play?

How hard was it to remove the hammer to disconnector pin?

The top screw is the pretravel screw and also moves the trigger’s static position to the rear. The lower screw is the overtravel screw.

i also have the fitted T1 disco and old style 85c trigger is a part of the RRK. I still ordered the disco only part and installed it yesterday. There was only a little bit of difference between my fitted disco and the RRK disco. It was alright for me since I don’t have the trump short hand.

Just got back from the range shooting a couple hundred rounds after installing the RRK. To me, there wasn’t a significant change from my old setup of a fitted T1 disco and modified(straightened out) recurve trigger. Since I already have the old 85C trigger which is part of the RRK, all I ordered was the shadow specific disco. I have to do minor fitting to enable the SA to reset properly. The static distance of the trigger relative to the rear of the trigger guard between the fitted T1 and RRK disco was the same. Difference in reset was very minor with the RRK disco having the advantage. 

The screw hole hole for the pretravel screw doesn’t have a lot of material for the screw to bite and have the loctite “glue” into it to keep the pretravel screw from backing out and preventing the DA from resetting. It happened to me a few times earlier even with the loctite curing for 24 hours. The trigger area where the pretravel screw is located at is very thin. I wish it was a little bit thicker so there will be more threads for the pretravel screw to “bite” into. There’s only about two threads contacting the screw itself. I wish that area is as thick as the area where the pretravel screw is on SA triggers.

im using an 11.5# black CGW main spring with 10# recoil spring.

Here’s my setup now. Shadow 2 RRK disco and a recurve trigger that I heated and straightened out. I drilled and tapped a pretravel screw on this recurve trigger which enabled me to move the static position of the trigger about 7mm to the rear. That’s 2mm more than the Shadow 2 RRK setup.

BE0_EEF6_F-_E0_DE-42_BE-87_E6-_BBC3062_E

Old 85c trigger on the left, my modified recurve trigger on the right.

7_DA78_CA8-_F1_AD-4897-92_D3-434_B17_C7_

Here are the trigger pull weights after installing the RRK disco.

DA - average of 10 pulls

FF57_FC79-_C0_B0-4_E20-8668-_B0967_CB275

SA - average of 10 pulls

2_B5_D7989-_CD60-4651-9_B67-98_A6_E2_EEB

Trigger pull prior to installing RRK disco.

DA - 5# 12.6 ozs 

SA - 1# 12.6 ozs

2 hours ago, Superkaratemonkeyfighter said:

What hammer spring ??

any live fire yet ?

11.5 pound hammer spring. And live fire today of a hundred or so rounds showed no FTF. I haven't experienced the screw issues that George is talking about. Also, I'm shooting CCI small pistol primers, if that makes a difference. 

8 hours ago, Nathanb said:

Ok where are he hard chromed shadow 2s found at?

I got a 2 tone shadow 2 last December and asked CGW about hard chroming it. They told me that they do their hard chroming at Ford's Custom in Crystal River, FL.... an hour away from me. So, I went to them and they offered a multitude of polish, etc. Was $375 on a Xmas promo they were running. 

Would definitely recommend them. 

• 1 year later...

Just recently acquired a Shadow 2 myself and  did the same kit along with polishing of several parts. 

Stock trigger 8lb3oz DA. 3lb6oz SA 

pull. 

CGW RRK full kit-11.5 hammer. 

5lb8oz DA. 1lb 6oz SA.

Took a while to fit the disconnector but it’s perfect.

currently a 12 lb recoil and zero issues after 100 rds since trigger. I’ll put a few hundred more on her next few days and then the weekend  

• 1 month later...

I just picked up a Shadow 2 a few weeks ago. This is very helpful. I'm trying to figure out the exact combination of parts I need to order from CGW to improve the trigger and reduce muzzle flip.