Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prima sv update

corbinfouquet

I only use it in 9mm and .45ACP.  The load I shoot in .45 is 4.2 grains (Australian) Clays, 200gr LSWC @ 1.250" which makes 164.8 PF although I'm not using it in matches.  9mm is 3.2 (Australian) Clays with either 125 FP (coated) or a 130gr LSWC @ 1.135" which is probably around 130 PF.  Never any pressure signs in either.  I have no idea about .40 Short and Weak as I have never owned one.

I use Tula SRM primers in both, win cases for 9mm and Federal SP cases for .45ACP.

I fully agree that any fast burning powder will hit unsafe pressures more easily than slow powders with less increase in the amount used.

12 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

Clays + 40 Major is like riding a dirt bike. It’s a lot of fun until you crash. And it’s not a matter of if you crash it’s a matter of when because the crash will happen.

I stopped using Clays in 40 Major after a case head separation mid stage run at the nationals caused me to zero the stage. That wasn’t my only case head separation either while using that powder. Probably 15-20 of them over the 50k+ of Clays I shot. At some point  the soft felt recoil of Clays isn’t worth the risk. 

Charlie, If you don't kind me asking, but what is your current load for 40 mj?

No problem.....

Bullet - 180gr Eggleston Munitions

Powder - Prima SV 4.1gr

Primer - Winchester Small Pistol

Brass - Mixed Range Brass

OAL - 1.165”

Crimp - .420”

Average Velocity - 935fps

• 1 month later...

This is what 4.3gr of Prima SV gets you with 180gr Blue Bullet.  OAL 1.165.  Shot with an Atlas Nemesis.  5” KKM barrel.  Chrono’ed 8/10/18 at Area 3.  179.7 PF.  I’ve been shooting this powder out of my CZ for awhile now, but it’s time to tone it down.  Per Charlie’s success, and others who commented, I will probably stick with 4.0-4.1gr.  

Also, I have chrono’ed 167PF using N320 earlier in the year, but the deviations were up to 50ft/sec.  Prima SV showed a deviation of 10ft/sec on 3rds.  Much better.  

B340E9AA-B4ED-4895-AF72-10C3E42F49D2.jpeg

Edited by nutzach

10 minutes ago, Furrly said:

Yeah no problem...4.1gr 1.185 oal is giving me 172PF. 

and what bullets do you primary use?  I'm using 180gr Blue Bullets as I have several thousand left.  I'll try some Eggleston's I have left over in the next few weeks.  Thanks for sharing. 

3 minutes ago, nutzach said:

and what bullets do you primary use?  I'm using 180gr Blue Bullets as I have several thousand left.  I'll try some Eggleston's I have left over in the next few weeks.  Thanks for sharing. 

Blues and Eggleston are both great choices. I use both