Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&w 627 In Production

I keep lusting after the S&W 627 -- N frame size and 8 rounds of .357 loaded via moonclips. I keep thinking about .38 Specials feeling like .22's due to the weight of the gun and with a great trigger job by Randy Lee, what's not to like?

I know the standard production shooters will have 10rd mags and reloads will probably be faster, but this gun is calling me.

Is this just the "sickness of an incurable wheelgunner", or could it be competitive?

Byron,

I wanted to classify in L10. I have several 1911 types pistol but I also have a 627.

I have shot it in three local matches recently. I shot L10 minor (.38spc). It's a blast! I'm an average wheelgunner-middle of the pack kind of guy. As I recall, I was 10th out of 20, then 1st (!) out of ~15, and last weekend 4th out of 11.

Production would be fine but I don't want to change my holster (Garcia) and move my moonclip holders from my revolver division setup.

Buy the 627!

Dave

I keep lusting after the S&W 627 -- N frame size and 8 rounds of .357 loaded via moonclips.  I keep thinking about .38 Specials feeling like .22's due to the weight of the gun and with a great trigger job by Randy Lee, what's not to like?

I know the standard production shooters will have 10rd mags and reloads will probably be faster, but this gun is calling me.

Is this just the "sickness of an incurable wheelgunner", or could it be competitive?

I'm considering the same thing and our Production shooters are not even restricted to 10 rounds. Just go for it! I think you can be very competitive with one.

Even with only 6 shots in the guns, several shooters at the 2005 USPSA Nationals would have finished quite respectably shooting heads-up against the Production crowd, if you compare the hit factors straight across.

Locally, I'm seeing many matches that tend to have lots of 8-shot arrays--I would think a guy with a 627 and a decent running reload could be pretty darn competitive.