Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CNC Toolhead S1050

15 hours ago, Want2BS8ed said:

Just not buying it. Enhanced how? The 1050 head is pretty beefy to start with. I'm not shy about adding something that enhances operation on a 1050 but you can bell for lead in station 2 or 4 - and I'm certainly not seeing any negative impact in Powder drops belling in station 4...

Appears to be a solution looking for a problem. 3,400 rounds an hour? yay... you can't move a case that fast without slinging powder, so what's the point?

M

Dimensionally consistent, unlike the Dillon cast head.  Enhanced cam in both function and location.  Adjustable guide pin via set instead of a hammer.  More easily adjusted primer pin.  Ability to use the swage backer as just a swage backer, or other function depending on your needs. Ability to use a powder drop to do only that function which improves the ability of the Dillon system to provide more consistent drops.  Ability to use a better solution (M die) on your brass for more consistent function on the bullet feeder and seating.  

We have customers running above 3000 an hour loading and about 3700 processing. 

Everything on this toolhead is there because customers, both home and commercial, asked for it.  If you are happy with your Dillon head, then great. They come with the machine and are slightly cheaper to buy.  This is for loaders that need these features for what they are doing.

22 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

All I asked was what happens when a primer goes off with a die on top of the  case. Doesn't have anything to do with the cnc head, the set up you have, how you reload or your vast experience in reloading, or my experience for that matter...

I realize that the cnc toolhead doesn't increase the chances of a primer det, but putting a die over a case that has a primer det is what I am concerned about. Where does the pressure/flash go? If it  goes down, (which I think is the only direction it would go, but what kind of shrapnel will happen?) I would also think it would increase the chance of having an entire primer tube go off, not good...been there done that, don't want to do it again.

If it goes up, what could it do to the die?

Maybe there is a reason Dillon didn't thread that position...

Just wondering...

Primer hold down dies have been in use for years in that station. The existing solutions for the Dillon head provide a MUCH more restrictive space than a full size die does.  I have never heard of any issue of a primer pop causing any issues.  Primers are not nuclear weapons. Why is there this persistent belief that a primer pop in a case is some huge event? Even if it was, there is a full die around the case, inside of an inch thick steel toolhead.  The die will be blackened inside, and that's it.

Primer tube cook off on a 1050 is almost always caused by failure to keep the press clean of residue primer compound from crushed primers. The priming system is designed to keep primers detonation well away from the stack and partially seals the stack with the slide itself.  A pop under the tube is usually due to the idiotic practice of using a 650 liner with the brass tip and then cranking the nut down on it to crush it against the slide. It is plastic for a reason on a 1050, because you are sliding the exposed anvil back and forth under it. Any debris under that cup, high primer in the cup, anvil crushed through the liner and bang...right under the stack.

So the premise of this is that the M-die produces less stiction than belling with the standard MBF powder funnel...  But you still have to use a standard powder funnel to dispense the powder...  Seems like there might be more stiction with two belling stations...  Must not be the case since you are actually doing it.

Stiction drives me crazy...  Have tried different lubes and spring setups...  Some help, but nothing seems to eliminate it...  This is an extreme solution, but looks interesting.

Here is a fix for you on any sticking. 

Run your brass in corncob for 30 minutes. 

My drive for this Toolhead is the tunability of NOE inserts with a Lee universal decapper. As a bonus I don’t get stiction with these inserts or with M-die. 

I run my brass 2x through my 1050 that is my preference. 

Opinions are like, well, you know the drill...and I'm not really interested in opinions on this.

Unless you have actually had a primer det with a die over the case, you are just speculating. A primer is not a nuke, but they do have enough force to punch a bullet well into a pistol barrel.

All I would like to know is, (and I will re-phrase) what HAPPENED when a primer detonated with a die over the case?

Edited by RiggerJJ

There is so much wrong with this thread...

On 5/2/2018 at 12:08 AM, oteroman said:

I can’t bell in #2 I swage there. 

Doing a M-die type of operation in the powder drop is not what I want. I prefer NOE inserts screwed onto the stem of a Lee universal expander. I can run .356 .357 .358 you are locked in with one size with Mr. Bullet powder drop. Additionally the powder drop is smoother when you just drop powder vs. expand the case wall and bell / drop powder. 

“You Can’t run 3,400 without slinging powder”

How can you make that claim not knowing my setup? Shellplate, powder charge, powder type. 

Whatever speed someone chooses to run their automated 1050 press at has no relivence to this toolhead.  

If you don’t see the point, ok. 

For someone who has such a well running machine AND preprocesses their brass I'm surprised you haven't figured out how to properly setup station #2 yet to accomplish your goal without circumventing safety features on the press.

And I do get the point... it's called a shill. You post about a new product and how great it is, get questioned on the veracity of the claims and suddenly the manufacturer (w/ less than 10 posts at the time) is suddenly defending the product?

My turn to bite and I'm throwing the BS flag on both you and Immortal Arms.

Prove it.

I want to see a video LOADING 9MM major, using UNPROCESSED once fired brass in excess of 3,000 rounds an hour on a 1050 for a minimum of 1,000 rounds. Uncut, unedited and I won't even ask you to do it with lead bullets. Do it and I'll eat crow and publicly apologize, otherwise an apology is due the rest of us here.

And just for kicks, because it's such a nominal non-event for you, light-off a primer in station #3 so we can see what happens with an m-die.

On 5/2/2018 at 11:32 AM, ImmortalArms said:

We are spending machine time on what matters, the threading and dimensions. Machine time costs money. We are trying to keep this as affordable as possible. This is a tool head. They get beat up. If it looks pretty, then it's not being used correctly.  

This has to be one of the most daft statements I've read on this forum. It shows an utter lack of pride in your skills as a machinist or manufacturer... and raises some series questions as to how you reload. Given the pictures in this thread, I t's a lame response for anyone who knows how to properly surface a piece of steel on a mill.

As for being a tool head, I'm just touching 30,000 rounds of 9MM through the same Dillon head now, it's not "beat up" - still virtually looks new, because apparently I take better care of my tools with the understanding they will ultimately take care of me.

Want2BS8ed, I'm agreeing with you on the shill.  There is nothing wrong with posting new equipment, in fact it should be encouraged.  But getting defensive about legitimate comments or questions is a sign of insecurity and/or incompetence.   I'm clueless to how a tool head gets beat up unless some one is grossly negligent. Kind of like trying to sell a new car with rust on it and claiming "It's just going to get rusty anyway". ? 

having a primer go off inside a die is a non event, had that happen when I ran the hold down die in the priming station on my RL1050. it went pop. Any of the similar dies I've seen aren't sealed units, so the primer can't generate any pressure inside the die. Really easy thing to test, take the die used on the swage station out, flip it over, put a primed case on it, and set off the primer either with heat or a strike, nothing great will happen, it will go pop and the case might jump a tad if you've jammed it right down on the die.