Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

distinguishing between 38 Super and 9/38SC Aftec

earthshine402

As the title says, I'm interested in how to tell the difference between these two.. i am probably going to pick up a used open blaster this weekend.. I'd like to be able to figure this out..

I do actually have the two extractors, as I previously bought an open gun in 38 super and put a 9/38SC one in.. but I'm not sure if I can immediately tell the difference..

• 1 month later...

The 9mm and 38SC would be a little farther in towards the firing pin hole in the slide compared to the 38 Super extractor. The 9mm/38SC have basically the same rim size where the 38 Super has what is called a Semi Rim which is bigger in  size so it will be backed more off to allow for the larger rim size. Some cases either one installed will work but the 9mm/38 SC may wear a little quicker and the 38 Super may not extract 9mm or 38 SC brass very time or might have some extraction problems. I have had a 38 SC since 1995 and all I shoot is Starline brass and have had the old style solid Ed Brown extractor in it and have zero problems. The only thing half way a problem is removing the extractor from the slide when i go to clean it.It has such a bend on it to work with SC brass you to pry very hard to remove it.

• 3 months later...

Eric had ammo made for me at EuroExtreme in CZ a few years ago...was running a 38SC SV.  I put in my make up and OAL.  Problem was, it was 38 Super.  I pulled the front spring off my Aftec and it ran fine.

Hello: I would try one and then try the other one to see which one works the best for you. The new Aftec are not the same as the old ones and I am having problems with the new ones which I never had with the old ones. I have had to bend the extractor to make them work and they still need to be polished and contoured to make them work. I have gone to the EGW extractors now on my open pistols. I have also seen the spring retainer break on a couple of pistols which never used to happen. Good luck on your new open pistol adventure and have fun. Thanks, Eric