Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics / iron sights

On 5/21/2018 at 12:56 PM, rowdyb said:

Also I have never run any sight other than the optic. If I have a dot I want just the dot. 

Agreed!

For the 30 minutes I had the front sight in place after putting the optic on, it did help with dot acquisition but I found it it a distraction.

1 hour ago, CZFanGrrl said:

I did the same with my optic ready Shadow 2.  I had the front sight on for about 30 minutes before I decided I did not like the added competition of the front sight for my attention.  And have just focused on practicing on finding that dot.  I’m slower on the dot right now, but my accuracy improved significantly and the speed will follow as I get more comfortable with the optic.  I’ve only been shooting for about a year now, so the transition easier.

I've come back to a regular FS on a pistol with a dot (CO or ICORE Open) I don't want to see it when shooting but it does give a marker for SH/WH if I don't find the Dot right away. 

2 hours ago, pskys2 said:

I've come back to a regular FS on a pistol with a dot (CO or ICORE Open) I don't want to see it when shooting but it does give a marker for SH/WH if I don't find the Dot right away. 

I’m getting a lot faster with finding the dot through practice, someone here recommended using the back of the pistol and the tip of my nose as a reference point and it’s amazing at how quickly I can pick up the dot.  Usually I find that the front of the gun is too high if I can’t pick up the dot.  Sage Dynamics and Humblemarksman on Youtube have great videos on dot acquisition.  It’s definitely a learning process and I admitted a lot slower with the dot, which is also a good thing because I used to be faster and less accurate, now it kind of forces me to pace my shots a bit better, speed will follow suit.

On 5/21/2018 at 12:56 PM, rowdyb said:

Because the first carry optics nats was the day after prod nats that year. (I shot them both) and so many people leading up tonit said they'd just shoot their prod set up in CO nats. (Still 10 rounds in both at the time)

There was a very real concern that an iron sight gun would win or have so many in the top placing it would call into question the validity of the new division. 

So a clear rule for them as a requirement was born.

Also I have never run any sight other than the optic. If I have a dot I want just the dot. 

This is it full stop. It was about ensuring a sense of legitimacy in a fledgling division. There might not be justification for it now, but then again... all rules are arbitrary.

Yeah, the risk of an iron gun winning Nats is very low now and the classifier HHFs have been established, which was the other excuse to not-allow irons in CO, so there's really no reason except "It says Optics in the name!" which is about as good a reason as the old Bullseye shooter saying I should shoot one-handed because "it's a HANDgun, not a HANDSgun".

• 1 month later...

I’ve changed up my draw somewhat.  Now when I punch the pistol out, the dot is right there, except when I’m doing something like transitioning from strong hand to weak hand, then all bets are off, lol.  Just sayin’.