Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New gun break in

blacklab

It's been a few years since I broke in a new gun but I just had a new open 2011 built by a local gunsmith and was wondering what spring would be the best for break in. It's a 5" slide that weighs about 10.2ozs with a kkm bull barrel and a 3 port comp made by Aftercooler6racer. It was built for 3 gun so it will only be shooting minor loads. My loads are 9mm 115gr with 5.1gr of Autocomp. I was thinking of using a 6lb spring to start. My old open gun has a 8lb spring, but the new will not cycle on 8lbs. I don't want to go too light and risk cracking the slide but I would like to try and keep it reliable through break in. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Did he know this was going to be used for minor ? I have to run a 7# and 6.0 gr of AC to get mine to cycle with minor .

You should ask the builder what load and spring he recommends for minor .

He had a 8lb spring in it, but it doesn't cycle with the 8lb.

I’d still ask him about the situation even if it’s what he put in it. Are you sure it’s only the spring weight that’s causing the issue? It could be a number of things that’s why I’d talk to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

I run an 8 in 9MAJOR open gun. It won't come close to cycling a minor load and it's well broken in.

Do you have poppel holes? 8lb works great on my old gun with minor loads and no holes.

10 hours ago, drewbeck said:

I’d still ask him about the situation even if it’s what he put in it. Are you sure it’s only the spring weight that’s causing the issue? It could be a number of things that’s why I’d talk to him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 98% sure its the spring, I did a slow mo video and the slide comes half way back and the empty shell goes back in to chamber.

2 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Nope

Oh, I wonder why they work so different. 115gr over 5.1 autocomp works great in my old one with 8lb. I gave the gunsmith my old one and told him to clone it. He did a nice job, it just doesn't like 8lbs.

11 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I'm 98% sure its the spring, I did a slow mo video and the slide comes half way back and the empty shell goes back in to chamber.

But what is the cause of the resistance? A spring may overcome the issue but doesn’t mean it’s the right answer nor the real problem.

The root cause could be the link, lower lugs, barrel bump, upper lug timing, barrel clocking, hood length, etc.  Unless you know what to look for you’re guessing.  

Most open guns will run 12-14lb springs on box ammo, it’ll be sluggish but functional.

just an opinion 

3 minutes ago, drewbeck said:

But what is the cause of the resistance? A spring may overcome the issue but doesn’t mean it’s the right answer nor the real problem.

The root cause could be the link, lower lugs, barrel bump, upper lug timing, barrel clocking, hood length, etc.  Unless you know what to look for you’re guessing.  

Most open guns will run 12-14lb springs on box ammo, it’ll be sluggish but functional.

just an opinion 

12 to 14lb springs? I didn't know open guns worked with springs that high. My steelmaster has a 8 and my CK has an 8. Anything higher and it stovepipes. I never seen any damage to the frame or slide. I think the main spring is a 15lb but I cant remember off the top of my head. Firing pin stop has the correct curve. I told the gunsmith to clone my  CK gun. I figured it would have to loosen up a little and then put a 8lb back in it. He put other open guns together for people and no one ever complained so everything else should be right. I hope. 

My point is that the entire gun is a system, there is no “correct” FPS, and there are no correct spring weights.  The only thing that matters is whether the system is running and yours is not. 

Call your GS.

what you don’t understand is that your FPS, mainspring, and recoil spring are are working in conjunction with each other to control the slide speed and return the gun into battery. 

I can make make the same gun run with a 25lb mainspring and FPS shaped for it with a 5lb recoil spring, and the same gun will run with a 15lb mainspring and 14lb recoil spring with a big radius FPS.

eveything is related, ask you gs what he thinks based on his “normal”

Try to keep it simple at first, install a 7 # spring and try it out, it wont hurt the gun.  If not working then up the load slightly and try again.  If still not functional, then back to the smith for examination.

If it runs with a 5lb spring, it tells you the gun runs.  What kind of oil or grease are you putting in it? What does the slide feel like without a recoil spring in it? If it’s smooth and not sticky something else is binding, could be ammo, could be your grip, could be the coating, mags, or a bunch of other things