Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New guy with an P320 X5

Bryamill

Hey folks, I'm new with a couple of matches under my belt. Shooting limited while I get the hang of things and will eventually either move to Production or maybe CO. I've also considered purchasing something in the Limited major category at some point...if budget allows. We'll see where the sport takes me. In the meantime, I'm curious about recommended upgrades for my X5. I'm on the waiting list for the GG's competition trigger. I keep reading about swapping out the guide rod and springs. I'm assuming this makes it softer shooting? I'm currently shooting factory ammo, but reloading is planned sometime later this year. So, just looking for opinions on upgrades I should consider with my current setup. 

After the trigger, the next upgrade I did was to install the tungsten guide rod and a 12# Wilson combat recoil spring for my loads. My reloads are 124 Gr FMJ with 4.1 Gr Winchester 231. It’s soft shooting and flat.

The guide rod will allow you to use a wide variety of aftermarket 1911 recoil springs to tune the gun to your load.  Many people have commented that the 320 X5 is oversprung for most 9mm loads, so a lighter spring may feel better to you, even running factory ammo.  While the rod does add a little weight, it is probably something you won't notice much.

Thanks. I see that looking at Springer Precision, there is a tungsten and a stainless steel. Grayguns has a couple of options as well. Is there a specific guide rod I should target? Also, are the replacement rods toolless? I apologize if any of these questions are obvious. 

Guide rod and spring I would highly recommend. The tungsten guide rod will add 3.4oz and set you back about $100. The steel rod weighs 1.6oz and is about $20.

The only other thing I would recommend is an extended mag release. There are many other parts you can get but focus on shooting and only look for parts when you identify a need for improvement with your weapon. I also shoot Limited with a P320 and will be more than happy to provide any input or advise, don't hesitate to shoot me a message.

You can shoot your P320 in Limited Major without having to by another weapon. Purchase a caliber exchange kit in 40 s&w and your set. Granted it will not be the X5 slide but replace the sights with a set of Dawson comp front and rear and you are all set. I have a 9mm set up for 3 Gun and a 40s&w for USPSA.  

Edited by Sig0431

20 minutes ago, Bryamill said:

Thanks. I see that looking at Springer Precision, there is a tungsten and a stainless steel. Grayguns has a couple of options as well. Is there a specific guide rod I should target? Also, are the replacement rods toolless? I apologize if any of these questions are obvious. 

No need to apologize, we have all be in your shoes at some point in the past and many here will gladly help just do some research before starting new threads with a simple one line question (this does not apply to this post). There is a lot of historical threads with invaluable information so take some time to browse the Sig threads.

The SP and GG guide rods are going to be the same for the most part. GG does make a fat guide rod that prevents spring binding. I personally have used SP but I would have no issues with using either companies.

Yes the guide rod is toolless. You remove your slide from the FCU and pull out the guide rod and spring, it is just like installing and removing your factory recoil spring. Search YouTube and you will see numerous videos on these.  

I never even considered a caliber exchange kit. That is a great idea. I could do that sooner than later and start shooting major. I may shoot you a PM with a few other questions. Thanks!

With the caliber x-change slide you still get to keep the X-Series grip module as well. It'll just be a slightly shorter slide and barrel in 40S&W, of course. I'd recommend that suggestion as well

Edited by Rudukai13

I’m new to uspsa shooting as well and recently got my own x5. I’ve added the stainless guiderod from grayguns and purchased a spring kit from wolff springs (11-15 lbs.) 

I’ve installed a flat face pelt2 trigger which in all honesty (without actually using a pull gauge) hasnt seemed to effect the pull much at all. I’ve used mag polish to put a fine finish on most every friction point in the gun and that seems to have had the most positive effect. 

For ammo and springs I too dont have the time/space to do my own reloading so I’ve been experimenting with various factory ammo and various different springs. 

Sig sauer ammo, 115 gr shot clean but very snappy. 

Speer lawman, 124 gr shoots a little snappy still but VERY dirty. I have to use a pick to actually scrape all the built up off the internals after 200 rounds. 

Now I’m shooting fiocchi 158 gr subsonic. Its much cleaner than the speer ammo and has very little muzzle flip but definetly pushes like a 45. Even though its much less snappy and causes less flip I left the range with a soreness in my hand and forearm that I dont get with the light ammo. It is really flat shooting but for my budget I cant really afford to keep buying it in 1k round batches so I plan to try some 147 gr next. 

For the springs I’ve tried as low as a 12lb and I’ve found that with a 13 lb spring (one thats commonly recommended by i think ppl who handload) I get very little muzzle dip when the slide comes forward but the initial recoil is still snappy and I get a little too much muzzle rise. Instead now I’ve swithed to the 15lb spring that comes with the grayguns guide rod and I find it pretty much perfect with all the factory loads I’ve tried. 

I’ve also removed one sear spring. I did this for a while, went back to both, and now back to a single again. With the factory sear I find it helps to reduce the amount of creep I feel. I’m also on the list for the grayguns kit and I’m also considering the apex trigger bar because I’d like to reduce overall travel and move the break a little further forward. 

Lastly I ordered a p320 full size grip in large and I prefer the size, ergo and roundness of that grip over the rather flat x5 grip module. The size helps keep me from over tightening my grip and feels more solid in my hand even though it lacks the grip weight in the x5 module. 

Anyway, just another newbies experience if its any help. 

8 hours ago, Daemunx1 said:

I’m new to uspsa shooting as well and recently got my own x5. I’ve added the stainless guiderod from grayguns and purchased a spring kit from wolff springs (11-15 lbs.) 

I’ve installed a flat face pelt2 trigger which in all honesty (without actually using a pull gauge) hasnt seemed to effect the pull much at all. I’ve used mag polish to put a fine finish on most every friction point in the gun and that seems to have had the most positive effect. 

For ammo and springs I too dont have the time/space to do my own reloading so I’ve been experimenting with various factory ammo and various different springs. 

Sig sauer ammo, 115 gr shot clean but very snappy. 

Speer lawman, 124 gr shoots a little snappy still but VERY dirty. I have to use a pick to actually scrape all the built up off the internals after 200 rounds. 

Now I’m shooting fiocchi 158 gr subsonic. Its much cleaner than the speer ammo and has very little muzzle flip but definetly pushes like a 45. Even though its much less snappy and causes less flip I left the range with a soreness in my hand and forearm that I dont get with the light ammo. It is really flat shooting but for my budget I cant really afford to keep buying it in 1k round batches so I plan to try some 147 gr next. 

For the springs I’ve tried as low as a 12lb and I’ve found that with a 13 lb spring (one thats commonly recommended by i think ppl who handload) I get very little muzzle dip when the slide comes forward but the initial recoil is still snappy and I get a little too much muzzle rise. Instead now I’ve swithed to the 15lb spring that comes with the grayguns guide rod and I find it pretty much perfect with all the factory loads I’ve tried. 

I’ve also removed one sear spring. I did this for a while, went back to both, and now back to a single again. With the factory sear I find it helps to reduce the amount of creep I feel. I’m also on the list for the grayguns kit and I’m also considering the apex trigger bar because I’d like to reduce overall travel and move the break a little further forward. 

Lastly I ordered a p320 full size grip in large and I prefer the size, ergo and roundness of that grip over the rather flat x5 grip module. The size helps keep me from over tightening my grip and feels more solid in my hand even though it lacks the grip weight in the x5 module. 

Anyway, just another newbies experience if its any help. 

Sounds like you have been much more active trying to find the right setup. I just ordered the SP stainless guiderod and 15 lb spring yesterday. I’ve basically been shooting American Eagle and PMC 115 grain based on price and availability. I haven’t had any issues, but I can’t say that I’ve tried enough ammo to determine what the gun likes best. I should have my reloading setup in the next 2 months or so and I hope to find something that shoots a little softer at that point. I may try some 147 factory as well. I’ve read about polishing internals, but I’m not sure I fully understand the process just yet. I plan on doing a little research and seeing if it’s within my skill set. I appreciate your feedback. Very helpful. 

13 hours ago, Rudukai13 said:

http://www.quanticotactical.com/asp/itemDetail.asp?dispItemNum=4736&type=M&CMN=Sig

Or, try calling Sig directly. They can probably find one for you

Keep in mind that the items on Quantico Tactical are for those that qualify for the Military and LE program.

15 hours ago, Daemunx1 said:

The PELT2 will lower the trigger pull slightly but no where near as much as the Comp trigger kit that they sell. If you get lucky enough to order one before they sell out I highly recommend it. Also take note of your finger placement on the trigger as the higher you set your finger on the trigger the more weight it takes, I personally place my finger mid to low on the trigger.

15 hours ago, Daemunx1 said:

I’m also on the list for the grayguns kit and I’m also considering the apex trigger bar because I’d like to reduce overall travel and move the break a little further forward. 

Factory ammo is always a trial and error until you find the what feels best for you. Before I started reloading I personally shot Blazer 124 and 147. After a while I ran 124 only as the 147 did not produce results above the 124 to justify the additional cost and where I am it was not as easy to come by.

I recommend waiting on the APEX trigger bar until after you receive the GG comp trigger kit. I think you will find that the GG trigger kit will be everything you are looking for. If you search in this section there are some people who have installed the APEX trigger bar and there is mixed reviews. I "think" some had issues with it pushing the trigger forward more than they would like. I did not read into it to much since with the GG trigger I am beyond happy and have no need at this time to adjust any other aspect of the trigger.

You both are on a great start and sharing information like this is what I love about this sport. Most shooters don't hide any special hidden secrets, we enjoy sharing and helping others grow. I remember my first match I attended I was talking to a fellow shooter who is a Grand Master. When sign up started he paid my entry fee and made sure we were on the same squad that day. He gave me pointers before each stage, watched me run the stage and gave feedback. It was something that really stuck with me and I do my best to "pay it forward" by helping out those I can with what information I have.

10 minutes ago, Rudukai13 said:

I was unaware of that. Good to know

If you look at the top of the page of the link you will see it says "Sig Sauer LE/Military P320 Full-Size Caliber Exchange Kits". They do have non program discount items at the following link with a disclaimer of "We are SIG SUAERS largest LE/military distributor, but occasionally we make special buys through commercial channels of firearms we can sell to the general public. The weapons listed below are limited availability."

http://www.quanticotactical.com//ASP/manuDetail.asp?CMNum=238

I only know this because I order most of my Sig stuff with them since I am military and the company is great to deal with. The are military and LEO dealers for other companies as well and offer a lot of commercial sale items but for Sig it is next to non sadly for commercial sales.

I had a great experience with Quantico Tactical when I bought my X5 last year. It helped a lot being retired military because it enabled me to get the special pricing. Shipping was very quick too. 

I still have a little time before I’ll need it and I may decide to try CO instead. But it is a nice option to have. And when it reaches that point, I may still get the 2011 bug. We shall see. I have the guide rod, spring, and extended mag ejector on order. I’m excited to try that out for now. 

I’ve heard that. Honestly, I love the X5 and seem to shoot it well. I have an X-Carry as well and I don’t like that nearly as much. I’ll probably dump that in at some point in the future. It must be the difference in balance. I thought about trying CO with that, but would probably like the X5 better based on my current experience with it.

I’m intrigued by CO, but a little timid to jump over while I’m still new. For whatever reason, i feel like I need to cut my teeth on iron sights, but I’m not sure that I actually do. I’ve never shot a pistol with a dot, so it’s all a mystery to me. :) 

I would wait on the conversion kit. There is nothing wrong with shooting limited minor when getting into the sport. It will make you really focus on hitting Alphas as you loose more points than major PF once you hit outside the A zone. I ran limited minor for a long time before I moved to Major and don't regret it at all. With your set up you can run Limited, CO and I "think" production if you remove the magwell so shoot the living out of the Sig for a few seasons. Advice that I have received time and time again is to shoot your current set up until your skill level out preforms the capabilities of the weapon, then look at upgrading. Just like any other passion, sport hobby etc, money will not make you an expert, time and dedication. If you were handed Max's Open Division pistol, it would not win nationals for you. I have seen people with glocks and other more popular weapons out preform those with 2011's in limited division.

Here are some other items you can consider investing in other than parts for your sig. I personally own all of these items I am recommending and stand behind them 100%.

Dry Fire Target Kit: http://benstoegerproshop.com/scaled-dryfire-target-kit-including-uspsa-metric-targets-poppers-mini-poppers-and-dots/

Dry Fire Drills Book: (Ben Stoeger does offer a book and targets combo but I highly recommend this book for those new to the sport but both books are outstanding) http://forums.brianenos.com/store/product/7-refinement-and-repetition-dry-fire-drills-for-dramatic-improvement-by-steve-Anderson/

MantisX Training System: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GF81M5W/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Shot timer (this is way cheaper than the usual shot timer and I recommend this for individual use for training, leave the more costly timers for down the road): http://lasrapp.com/store/rangetech-shot-timer

Thanks! All good advice. I currently have a couple of Ben Stoeger’s books, to include the dry fire book. And I certainly agree that no gun will advance your skill as much as trigger time and practice. I don’t think the X5 would keep me from going as far as my skill will take me in production or CO. In limited, I do believe you will reach a point where moving to major would be worth the investment. But with my current skill level, minor vs major isn’t a big deal. The trigger time is more important. Again, thanks for the advice. All very helpful. 

These are the scale USPSA targets I bought from Ben Stoeger Shop that I’m using for my dry fire training along with his books. I’m using a pocket Pro 2 for a timer. My wife supports all my hobbies since I retired from the Navy so I’m very happy and content with life right now.

AE7528_FC-8964-4_D21-_BB6_D-_FAAF12769_F

Edited by George16