Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New guy with an P320 X5

Bryamill

• 4 months later...
On 4/4/2018 at 4:39 PM, Sig0431 said:

Guide rod and spring I would highly recommend. The tungsten guide rod will add 3.4oz and set you back about $100. The steel rod weighs 1.6oz and is about $20.

The only other thing I would recommend is an extended mag release. There are many other parts you can get but focus on shooting and only look for parts when you identify a need for improvement with your weapon. I also shoot Limited with a P320 and will be more than happy to provide any input or advise, don't hesitate to shoot me a message.

You can shoot your P320 in Limited Major without having to by another weapon. Purchase a caliber exchange kit in 40 s&w and your set. Granted it will not be the X5 slide but replace the sights with a set of Dawson comp front and rear and you are all set. I have a 9mm set up for 3 Gun and a 40s&w for USPSA.  

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I may finally be ready to move forward with the exchange kit in 40. So, if I’m reading this right, I can use the 40 slide and barrel on my X5 grip and FCU, correct? How about magazines? 

Also, I noticed that the x change kits run around $400, while a new P320 40 Full runs around $500 - $550. Any reason not to grab one and use the parts on the X5 and have the spare FCU? 

39 minutes ago, Bryamill said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I may finally be ready to move forward with the exchange kit in 40. So, if I’m reading this right, I can use the 40 slide and barrel on my X5 grip and FCU, correct? How about magazines? 

Also, I noticed that the x change kits run around $400, while a new P320 40 Full runs around $500 - $550. Any reason not to grab one and use the parts on the X5 and have the spare FCU? 

Just off the top of my head... that's what I would be inclined to do. 20% more cost up front but you get another FCU. So your spare FCU set you back $100/$150. I don't know what bare FCU's go for but if they are much more than $150 it seems to make sense to me.

Agreed! So, just to confirm, the 40 Full slide will work on the X5 grip module? What magazines? I’m assuming the 40 14 round magazines with base pads? I guess the 14 rounders are the same length as the 9mm 17 rounders? Just making sure I’m not missing something before I pull the trigger and order either the x change kit or a full size 40. 

6 hours ago, Bryamill said:

Agreed! So, just to confirm, the 40 Full slide will work on the X5 grip module? What magazines? I’m assuming the 40 14 round magazines with base pads? I guess the 14 rounders are the same length as the 9mm 17 rounders? Just making sure I’m not missing something before I pull the trigger and order either the x change kit or a full size 40. 

I "think" that will work but please wait for someone who has more knowledge than me to confirm that. You could also check over on www.sigtalk.com if you haven't already done so.

They have a number of sub-forums. One of which is for several guns which includes the X5 and it's variations.

Edited by ddc
additional info

On 8/24/2018 at 6:13 AM, Bryamill said:

The 40S&W slide assembly (slide+barrel+recoil spring assembly) and magazines are compatible with the FCU from the X-Five as well as the X-Seres grip module. You're good to go.

Just re-read your post - Yes, you will need to use the 40-specific magazines; trying to load 40S&W rounds into 9mm-specific magazines won't work, the follower and feed lip geometry is different. The 14-round 40S&W magazines are for the Fullsize guns and are equivalent to the 17-round 9mm magazines. Sig also makes 18-round 40S&W magazines that are equivalent to the 21-round 9mm magazines that came with your X-Five;

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/sig-sauer-p250-p320-full-40-auto-357-sig-18-round-magazine.html

Edited by Rudukai13

Thanks! That’s exactly what I was looking for. I knew I would need different magazines, but really didn’t know which .40 magazines would work with the X5 module. That is helpful. Now to decide if I jump to Limited Major or stay in minor for a bit longer. 

@Bryamill the benefits to Major are pretty much that anytime you’re facing a target you can shoot on the move, or a tight partial, you can be much more agressive. Hammer two C’s into the target and move on.

I’m not saying Charlies are as good as A’s, but they hurt half as much as they did in minor. Unless the hit factor of the stage is very low, major means you get to cut loose and not sweat the C’s.

And unlike Singlestack, the guys swinging Major guns have extra rounds onhand in case they need a makeup. Those two factors permit an agression ability that is very difficult to overcome when competing against those guys with a 9mm gun.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

9 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

@Bryamill the benefits to Major are pretty much that anytime you’re facing a target you can shoot on the move, or a tight partial, you can be much more agressive. Hammer two C’s into the target and move on.

I’m not saying Charlies are as good as A’s, but they hurt half as much as they did in minor. Unless the hit factor of the stage is very low, major means you get to cut loose and not sweat the C’s.

And unlike Singlestack, the guys swinging Major guns have extra rounds onhand in case they need a makeup. Those two factors permit an agression ability that is very difficult to overcome when competing against those guys with a 9mm gun.

Memphis, Thanks for the feedback. The scoring difference is the main thing driving me towards major. My question is, does the additional recoil negate some of the benefit? Meaning, will someone be less accurate or slower because of the additional recoil? I do reload, so I can load near PF. I know that ultimately major is more competitive than limited. I haven’t seen much on the P320 being used in limited major, so I’m unsure of how it performs in that scenario.