Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st STI, what else? Upgrades?

Wrathen

So decided to upgrade from my Springfield RO 9mm to a STI Hawk for IDPA ESP. This will be my first higher end gun. I’ve picked out a holster, mag pouches and a 3rd mag but what else is a good accessory or upgrade?

I have heard that the Dawson Posi-Lock mag release is good to not break you extractor and I might had add one if their Tactical Slim Magwells. Any thoughts on ether of those and anything else I should consider?

In debating on an Extreme Shoots grip vs attempting my own double undercut. Also what is a good gun oil?

haven't seen one of those yet.  if it doesn't have a fiber optic front sight, consider getting one.  also while the STI's have nice triggers, on my STI's where a smith hasn't worked on the trigger, i have dropped in the Brazos trigger kits.

13 hours ago, davsco said:

haven't seen one of those yet.  if it doesn't have a fiber optic front sight, consider getting one.  also while the STI's have nice triggers, on my STI's where a smith hasn't worked on the trigger, i have dropped in the Brazos trigger kits.

Ya it comes with Fiber front and ledge rear which I like so sights should be good. I might add an adjustable rear is point of aim is off but in general I prefer fixed rear. 

I was looking at the Brazos Trigger Kit on their site, is it nice? I’m fairly good with my hands and don’t mind a little work, is it something I could do myself or would I need a gunsmith to install it and fit things and finish things?

15 hours ago, Wrathen said:

what is a good gun oil?

Our host, Brian Enos, sells a great lube - I use it all the time on all

my guns.   I shoot OPEN, and any oil tends to splatter the C-More,

but the Slide-Glide does NOT splatter, at all    :) 

And, I'm still using the small container of Slide-Glide I bought

ten years ago.    :wub:

I love the Brazzos match trigger kit. I did my open gun, my friend did 2 DVC open guns and another friend did his single stack. They went in without any mods for us like a doing a full regular cleaning. Take it apart swap out the spring and install the new bits. 

2 hours ago, Wrathen said:

I was looking at the Brazos Trigger Kit on their site, is it nice? I’m fairly good with my hands and don’t mind a little work, is it something I could do myself or would I need a gunsmith to install it and fit things and finish things?

definitely an upgrade but again the triggers are decent from the factory.  no gunsmith by any means but i installed three of them by myself.  i did have to file each a little for the existing safety to fit/work.  i have a brazos hp edge so opened that one up and compared thumb safety's to see where to file.  but guessing there's a youtube for that or you could figure out by wear marks.  obviously test afterwards to ensure the safety you're relying on is indeed reliable.

2 hours ago, SDL said:

I love the Brazzos match trigger kit. I did my open gun, my friend did 2 DVC open guns and another friend did his single stack. They went in without any mods for us like a doing a full regular cleaning. Take it apart swap out the spring and install the new bits. 

+1 on the Brazos trigger kit, dropped it in on my Edge a few years back without any fitting at all.

Thanks everyone my Hawk comes in tomorrow going to pick it up from the FFL and put 100-200 rounds through it. Then I’ll make the call on a new trigger or not, but Brazos will be the way I go. 

I do have a question though, the kit doesn’t come with the Disconnector. It’s pretty cheap at $25, should I replace that at the same time or use the stock one? 

17 minutes ago, Wrathen said:

I do have a question though, the kit doesn’t come with the Disconnector. It’s pretty cheap at $25, should I replace that at the same time or use the stock one? 

When I did mine I also installed the BCG Pro Series disco, I felt that you couldn't go wrong installing all the Brazos components.  I wasn't disappointed.