Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hi everyone,

i'd like to know how your club handles the year end awards.  what do you get for winning, whinning, setting up, scoring, etc?

here in mempis, tn.  we have to shoot a minmum of 8 matches a year (we shoot twice a month) to be eligible for a nice plaque.

the stats keep up with the hit factor points. the best eight matches score.

the main reason i want your opinons, is to get  system to attract more shooter to the sport, in our neck of the woods.

thanks for the input.

lynn jones

(Edited by lynn jones at 8:27 pm on Jan. 28, 2003)

I've thought of that same idea as well, having a club champion for each of the divsions.  Say you have to shoot at least 10 or so matches in your division within the year to be eligible. Most clubs, that I'm aware of do not do this, but I think it's a great idea.  We constantly have to hound our MD/Range owner to give out little ribbons, so I doupt it would go over at my club very well.    

Hey Lynn,

We have an awards banquet at the end of every year and combine it with our clubs Annual General Meeting.  The awards are broken up into two categories, serious division/class awards which are based on hit factor overall within division/class, and then we do a series of joke awards.   The division/class awards are just simple plaques that do not cost much, but provide bragging rights.

We run IPSC matches every week, 48 weeks a year.  So in order to qualify for a division/class award you must have attended at least 7 matches in your division/class.

The joke awards are always the highlight of the banquet.  These are just computer generated awards that highlight some of the humorous things that happened during the year.  These awards allow us to recognize people who might not otherwise win division/class awards, and what would IPSC be without a little friendly ribbing from fellow shooters!

Hope this helps, and good luck

Most of our clubs are controlled by the host clubs which give very little money back to the sport. Hence, no clubs give out any award, of any kind. 6 or so years ago I won various items such as trophies, guns, accessories, etc. at every club league I shot.

Our year end awards are based on the best seven matches attended.  We award nice polo shirts with the club logo where the left pocket would be and the shooters name and accomplishment.  On the back there is a large club logo.

We award from Division champion down to fourth place depending on how many are in each division.

At our other local club the prizes were folding knives one year and leatherman tools last year.

I prefer the shirts because everyone who wins, which is most of the club members, wear their current shirt to each match and some of the bigger matches.  It's good advertising for the club and it encourages new shooters to become club members.

At our club we give out quarterly awards. You must compete in at least 3 matches to qualify.  wi give out a division match wininner and 1st-3rd  class winners. With 2 matches a month you have the opritunity to win 2 awards per quarter.

Another club I go to gives out belt buckes calculated by year end points along with a nice  banquet.  

Our club gives quarterly awards.  You can have a choice of  a plaque or free match tickets.  There is an end of the dinner for club members with more stuff awarded.  Match fees run about $10 and there are two matches a month.  Mostly two squads and four courses.

We are a new club and we don't do a thing except railroad the officers back into office. Well, we did have a free shoot in December, but it was so cold I couldn't see charging people, lol. I like some of the ideas and I think we need to do something for the folks who make things happen.

We hold 7-week indoor league sessions (.30-.45 cal.) three times a year, with a 4-week .22 league in between a couple of these. Each session results in lots of trophies (that goofy Lewis System) and the 7-wk leagues have the potluck awards banquet at the end of each session. The .22 league session awards its trophies right after the last match on the 4th week--no banquet.

Inasmuch as the range facility is privately owned, we fund our events thru fees charged by the management as well as the management's usual generosity in many ways. It's us and the management. They built the place with their own money; and we support them--and each other. We all do whatever we collectively decide we want to do. This winter league, for example, we have well over 100 shooters, boosting the revenue generated and nicely supporting the facility.

We don't have end-of-year events because our shooting year never really ends.

We DO have nutty honorable mentions sometimes, though, like: who used the most excessive amount of tape to hang up their targets; which team fought internally the most over points; or some really weird or unexpected event along the line of the doorknob scenarios in the "Match ScrewUps" forum.

We do not do anything.When I started shooting there the speil was "we just shoot for fun,no trophys or prizes".Recently I went by the MDs place of business for something and his office was covered with plaques and trophys that he had won at a now defunct club.He is not as good a shooter as he once was(huge weight gain,failing eyesight)and I now think the reason for "just for fun"is that his ego would not be able to stand someone else getting an award.