Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Phil Strader's gun shop

Maybe if Phil is lurking he can answer these questions, if not maybe a forum member can help me out.

Is Phil's shop open yet?  Where is it exactly?  Did he mention he will have an indoor range?  Will he be selling competition stuff, or just tactical stuff?

I can't wait to check it out...

Phil's shop, Shooter's Paradise, is in Woodbridge, VA.  He is selling a full line of firearms, holsters, ammo, CR Speed competition gear, and Dillon reloading eqpt and supplies.  

He has just finished a major investment in renovating the indooor range.  New backstop, lights, tables at the lane positions, etc.  Phil hopes to begin holding IPSC, IDPA and other shooting events on his range in the near future.

He also offers beginner to advanced instruction.  If you are in the area, stop by and give him some business.

Bill,

I'm jumping in here, but I talked to Phil last week and he mentioned he's working double shifts, so he might be a little slow reading this.

He bought Shooters Paradise, which is located in Woodbridge VA on route 1.  It is about 2 to 3 miles from I95, don't remember the exit number.  He has Recsomp competition gear in stock, as well as a slew of Galco and other holster type gear.  He is stocking Dillon, and has a general gunsmith on staff too.  I have done a transfer through his shop once already, and it went well.  I might consign my STI there too.  

The indoor range is "behind the counter" in the same shop, and has been renovated ina big way.  I was there 3 weeks or so ago, and one side 10 lanes maybe, was done while the other was scheduled to be finished on 4 Jan I think.  I think it went to 20 yards, and Phil told me I could shoot my shotgun inside, as well as some rifles.

I dont have a phone number handy, but they're open daily from about 1000 to 2000 (10:00 am to 8:00 pm) as I remember.

Phil has set out to change the attitude, appearance, and focus of the shop, and based on my visits there since 1995, I can tell you there has been a big change in the last 3 months or so.

Tom

The "new" Shooters is not related to the store in New Zealand; no franchise (yet).   Here are a few more details about Shooters Paradise, Owned and Operated by Straighter Shooting, Inc.:

-New centerfire rifle-capable (up to .50 Caliber) indoor range w/ lead-trapping backstop at 27 yards. Positive fresh-air ventilation w/ heaters in winter.

-Shooters wishing to safely practice their draw for USPSA/IDPA/cowboy (strong side only) are welcome at Shooters. Try THAT at most other gun ranges!

-Both USPSA/IPSC and IDPA targets available for sale; electronic target carriers allow target placement from 7 to 27 yards

-VA CCW and basic pistol class every Saturday from 1 to 4:30 PM.  Cost is only $75 and the price includes instruction, firearm rental, ammunition, targets and upon succesful completion, a certificate that satisfies Virginia's concealed carry permit application requirements. Class reservations can be made by phone at 703 491-4867.

-Beginners USPSA/IPSC class; more info available at http://www.vamdsection.org

- Handgun rental as well as sales of handguns, rifles and shotguns, both new and used. Sale of gear for cowboy action/SASS, USPSA/IPSC and IDPA, including rifles and shotguns for 3 gun.

-In the works: both IDPA and USPSA/IPSC competitions; class III rentals; intermediate and advanced pistol, rifle and shotgun courses.

DVC

TY-44934

Hello all, and thanks for the interest.  Carlos pretty much hit the nail on the head.  

We're calling it a 25 yard range, although it's a couple of steps longer than that.  There are two indoor ranges located at the rear of the shop - one 8-lane, one 9-lane.  Separated by a (soon to be steel-lined) concrete wall, shooters may be down range on one side while customers shoot from the booths on the other.  This will come in very handy when we start running action shooting matches there.  

The new bullet trap is the Gran Trap 7500 by Caswell International and can be seen in action at http://www.caswellintl.com/fr_index.html?/traps.html  

It's quite an ingenious design.  It's much quieter, and reduces lead dust and contamination by over 80%!   Moreover, customers can shoot center-fire rifle calibers there.  

The lights have been replaced and new ballasts have been installed, which makes a world of difference.  This is undoubetly the brightest public indoor range I have seen.  As mentioned before, the walls will be lined with steel, making it possible to shoot more interesting and challenging stages of fire without having to worry about damaging the concrete.   IPSC and IDPA matches will be organized and run on alternating Wednesdays, more than likely, with Bowling Pin, Bullseye league, and Youth "Soda Can" Shoots (22. rifles) going on during the other weekdays.  

Advanced Classes will be offered after the range is completely finished.  Once we put the steel on the walls (this week) replace three ceiling baffles on the left side, put a fresh coat of paint on everything, replace ceiling tiles, install a new back wall, and finish the lights on the left side, I will introduce several new classes.  (Need some help!)

Sometime this year, Straighter Shooting, Inc. will be teaching advanced two or three day IPSC classes either here, or at your local clubs.  The itinerary will be made available soon.  

Currently, I am a Class 3 dealer, and have purchased my first MP5.  I'm still waiting for it to arrive....damn ATF!  If all goes according to plan, I will be teaching an advanced sub-gun course here within the next two years.  

I could not have made this happen without the help and support of my friends.  I saw an opportunity to really give back to the sport of shooting, and I jumped on it.  I'm hoping that you can spread the word for me.  Next time you're in Northern VA, look me up.  

Information on classes, guns for sale, guns for rent, etc will soon be available at http://www.shooters-paradise.com    This site is under construction, so be patient!  

I hope to see some of you at the matches.

Phil Strader

Staighter Shooting, Inc.

"Shoot straighter with Strader"