Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Matches in the Philly Area

Hey guys! I moved to the area a few years back and have been having a hard time finding USPSA, IDPA, Multi-Gun matches and more without having to drive hours away. I try to make it to the monthly IDPA match at LPRGC (and will be going to the ICORE matches there too), some of the IDPA Matches in Sommerset NJ and it looks like there is USPSA matches starting in South/Central NJ next month.... but does anyone know of any other matches in the area (especially 3gun)?

Edited by Rjracing

I’m a member of LP but don’t shot pistol matches there. I’m shoot mostly 3gun now. Here’s a run down of the matches within 2 hour drive that I shoot regularly.

York Izaak Walton: 2nd Sunday starting March. Matches fill up quickly due to the series. Club prez is former assistant match director at FNH 3G so they know how to run matches. 200yard max. Search for York pistol blog for more details. FNH rules

Topton: home of Trijicon 3gun 3 man team match. Less matches now because of point series. I think it’s the 3rd Sunday. I didn’t shoot point series last year so don’t remember. Outlaw rules

Ontelaunee: there’s a thread in multi gun section. Blind Squirrel squad .com has the dates for 2018 posted. 3gunnation rules. Easier to pre register.

New holland: point series but other matches haven’t been posted. Max 600 yard range

Heidelberg sportsman: 3rd Saturday. Short bay stages. Fun for practice.

Quinton: 100 yard max. Fun stages but it’s Jersey so know the laws.

Old Bridge: I like their steel knockdown matches on 2nd Saturday. They have 3G a couple times each year. Know the law before going to Jersey.

Central Jersey: no one resets so I don’t go there anymore.

I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Check out the calendar here 

http://www.super-tactical.com/p/shooting-calendar.html

There's a bunch of USPSA within 90 minutes of philly. LP,  Ontelaunne, New Holland, Southern Chester, Eastern Shore Maryland.  In NJ there's Old Bridge, Central Jersey and this year Quinton will be having USPSA. Historically, OB and CJ are like going into hostile territory, not because of NJ laws, but because of the people who run the matches there. CJ got new MDs a year or two ago so I've heard that changed.

I don't 3 gun so I can't help you there, and I only IDPA a little. I was at LP IDPA last month but probably won't go back any time soon. Shoot me a message if you have any questions about matches.

-Matt

Edited by waktasz

2 hours ago, waktasz said:

OB and CJ are like going into hostile territory, not because of NJ laws, but because of the people who run the matches there. 

I lived in NJ for 22 years.

Once I moved to NY, I avoided shooting in NJ like the plague.    :ph34r:

Stay in PA - plenty of good matches there   :)   

14 hours ago, waktasz said:

Check out the calendar here 

http://www.super-tactical.com/p/shooting-calendar.html

I don't 3 gun so I can't help you there, and I only IDPA a little. I was at LP IDPA last month but probably won't go back any time soon. Shoot me a message if you have any questions about matches.

-Matt

Matt, 

Where did you get the date for your calendar?  BTW,  Matt was a pretty good 3 gunner when he was younger!!

Thanks

The data?

It's actually from my friends calendar that he maintains but I forget the name of his website. It's like mass45.com or something similar. I just link to it on my page.

edit - www.mass2245.com is the original site with the calendar

Edited by waktasz

I shoot mostly Uspsa in the Philly area. There’s lower providence uspsa

new holland uspsa

west shore uspsa

ountelaunee Uspsa. 

These will keep you busy.

If you you don’t want to share a cell with some guy named pookie, Stay away from old bridge like the guy mentioned in the top post.  Also your guns will instantly rust once you cross the bridge. 

Awesome, thank you all and hope to see you out there soon! I saw USPSA matches are starting at LPRGC too in March and I think Ive met the match director a few times when he used to run the IDPA matches in Yeadon. Anyone shot the USPSA matches there before?

I"m from North Jersey and do shoot in OB and CJ a lot.  Our new anti gun governor have a few more laws he plans to implement so I would just say be careful and pay attention to the laws in NJ.  Right now, its 15 rd mag capacity.

Central Jersey is a very nice range, nice stages  and I've had nothing but good experience.

OB - if you can get past the attitude of the burnt out crew that runs the match (a couple, not all), its nice stages as well.  The static steel matches and knockdown steel matches are awesome too.

Ontelaunee - to me, one of the best places I have ever shot at!  Unfortunately, it seems they are cutting back to Sunday only and will allow a very limited reg number so match will sell out in minutes.  Their matches use to be10 stages minumum.
Lower providence- has nice stages and lots of nice people

I would go to youtube and watch some videos so you can see the flavor of each match.

You cannot carry a firearm in NJ unless you have a permit,  It must be in a trunk in a container (preferably locked).   Please don't make a mistake as others have done.  Other than that, we do have good places to shoot so dont be scared.  Just follow the laws. 

This is my 2 cents. 

Edited by Ryan626

14 hours ago, Rjracing said:

Awesome, thank you all and hope to see you out there soon! I saw USPSA matches are starting at LPRGC too in March and I think Ive met the match director a few times when he used to run the IDPA matches in Yeadon. Anyone shot the USPSA matches there before?

The MD Ted is a good friend of mine.  I've been shooting matches with him in Yeadon, Easton and LP now for 14 years. I 'm a member at LP and do setup for the matches there.  There may or may not be a March match (historically the ranges are very soggy after the wet winter) so keep an eye on the facebook page for registration information.