Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Kadet Feedback

Tommytwogunz

I am getting interested in a Kadet.  I did a search and noticed one guy said he was using it on a Shadow and the accuracy compared well with dedicated .22 match pistols.  Another post mentioned FTF which could be eliminated by changing the spring.  Seems like it will fit on several frames (but not all).  Bottom line was that most users seemed happy.  The downsides seemed to be using it did not provide crossover to bigger rounds.  Any thoughts on putting a Kadet on something like a Shadow instead of a lower priced weapon.  Most likely I will get one; just wondering if I need to get another frame, like a Shadow, to put it on.  Maybe I am just looking for an excuse to get another CZ.

2 hours ago, Tommytwogunz said:

I am getting interested in a Kadet.  I did a search and noticed one guy said he was using it on a Shadow and the accuracy compared well with dedicated .22 match pistols.  Another post mentioned FTF which could be eliminated by changing the spring.  Seems like it will fit on several frames (but not all).  Bottom line was that most users seemed happy.  The downsides seemed to be using it did not provide crossover to bigger rounds.  Any thoughts on putting a Kadet on something like a Shadow instead of a lower priced weapon.  Most likely I will get one; just wondering if I need to get another frame, like a Shadow, to put it on.  Maybe I am just looking for an excuse to get another CZ.

if u will fit it tight to frame  u will have very good accuracy .

i used it on my old 75  few times .the only problem is  misfires . but i will solve this 

I have shot one a decent amount. They have the capacity to be extremely reliable compared to other conversion kits because of the fixed barrel. They also seem very reliable with stockish guns and bulk ammo. The recoil being so non existent and the non reciprocating slide take away from its use as a training tool but they are fun to shoot. If I had the choice between taking one of my Buckmarks or the Kadet to the range I would take the Buckmark.

Lastly, sit down when you are pricing mags and keep in mind if you are going to reverse the mag release for left hand, you will have to modify the mags. 

Hope this helps. 

Lee

Nearly the best thing ever to get kids or females shooting. Recoil is hilariously light. Sights can be identical to your 9mm sights. 

I have one for a 22 steel match. It's a phenomenally fun, reliable kit. It's a "fun" gun for me as I prefer to practice with 9mm. However, the Kadet kits are better than most 22s in reliability and you do keep a consistent grip and sight picture. 

Definitely worth buying, I'd buy another one. 

I got one recently with a used Shadow. It fits very snugly on my frame & is very accurate. Before I had the Cajun production legal trigger kit installed, it was 100%. With the 10# hammer spring, I get a lot of light strike/failure to fire. No surprise. It's a fun gun accessory, but if your host gun is optimized for competition, it may not be 100%. 

I have one I run on my sp01 shadow. I'm generally happy using it for practice on the frame I use for competitions. same grip, same trigger, same holster, same sized mags, same sights.  accuracy is always excellent. FTF and FTE were an issue. The federal automatch seem pretty reliable. I avoid winchester wb. use a 15lbs main spring.

7 hours ago, scroadkill said:

I have one I run on my sp01 shadow. I'm generally happy using it for practice on the frame I use for competitions. same grip, same trigger, same holster, same sized mags, same sights.  accuracy is always excellent. FTF and FTE were an issue. The federal automatch seem pretty reliable. I avoid winchester wb. use a 15lbs main spring.

I have seen several posts about using a heavier spring.  One guy said use a 17 pound spring.  This is the biggest question I have so far.  Looks like a Shadow may be the way to go.  Glad to have an excuse to get another CZ.

Light strikes are not a big issue. I am currently using a below 13lb spring on my SP01 Shadow with no misfires with Kadet kit. For Kadet to work I just cut the Kadet firing pin spring(a little at a time) until it doesn't misfire anymore. Seems to be a common solution. Some people also like to sharpen the tip of the firing pin.

36 minutes ago, Slowmisses said:

Light strikes are not a big issue. I am currently using a below 13lb spring on my SP01 Shadow with no misfires with Kadet kit. For Kadet to work I just cut the Kadet firing pin spring(a little at a time) until it doesn't misfire anymore. Seems to be a common solution. Some people also like to sharpen the tip of the firing pin.

Thanks for that tip.

Well I have to say after watching a youtube vid about the Kadet real life is not as easy as youtube.  I got my Kadet and Shadow.  The vid illustrated how to file off some areas to assure the right fit.  I am currently taking a break after filing for about 3 hours.  The slide is now easily fitting about 3/4 of the way into the frame as a result of my slow but sure filing.  With more effort on my part I feel good about getting the right fit.

But I am wondering if there is a better way to do that.  Maybe I am just getting anxious and want to stop cutting bait and start fishing.  In any case I would like to upgrade my skills in this area.  I know there are face to face and online gunsmithing schools but thought I would ask here about it.  Any ideas welcome.