Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Par time for unloaded start

Guys

What is a good par time to aim for on an unloaded start with a big stick mag - from the belt and from the table?

I have just started practising this. While my regular small mag "loaded" reload is about 1.0 - 1.1 in dry fire and 1.25 in live fire which I think is decent , my unloaded start is about 3.5 ...

Let me know if you have any tips.

Thanks

It largely depends on the individual. In my case it's anywhere from a few seconds to three or four minutes, depending upon how many times I drop the magazine in the dirt.

I don't see why you couldn't practice making the times better though. Go to the range and stand in front of a barrel.

Edited by MikieM

If your unloaded start is 3.5 seconds, set your par time to 3.5 and that will be your baseline.  Run a few repetitions without the timer to see how fluid you are.  Work on eliminating any unnecessary movements until you can start dropping the par time.  When you think you have it down low enough, take it to the range and do it with live fire.

Do you dry fire with empty magazines?  I found that dry firing with a magazine fully loaded with dummy rounds helped me during my reloads and drills.  In my case it better simulates live fire and their is a huge difference in weight from an empty big stick and a fully loaded big stick.

I reload, so I pickup all the loaded rounds I find at a match.  I pull the heads dump the powder and use the case and primer for practice rounds.  I then get a unprimed case and seat the bullets for dummy rounds.

I have a special mag that I use for dry fire practice. I never load a round into the chamber in practice.  Let me Repeat that, I never load a round into the chamber during dry fire.  Dummy rounds are kept on top of my gun safe. all other ammo is in my shed.  No chance to mix up the rounds.  If you are going to use dummy rounds, Make sure they are kept separate and away from any other ammo.  

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:22 AM, stick said:

I found that dry firing with a magazine fully loaded with dummy rounds helped me during my reloads and drills.  In my case it better simulates live fire and their is a huge difference in weight from an empty big stick and a fully loaded big stick.

I found this to be true even for pistol.  Reloading while moving is also very different from static reloading, but I can't think of any classifiers that would require you to reload on the move, and that's probably the only time you'd do it in PCC (unless your mag malfunctions).

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:22 AM, stick said:

I have a special mag that I use for dry fire practice. I never load a round into the chamber in practice.  Let me Repeat that, I never load a round into the chamber during dry fire. 

I found these little gizmos from Coolfire that hold your top round down in the mag.  They allow you to cycle your bolt (o slide) on a fully weighted magazine without the chance of loading a round.  Their default shipping is for a USPS flat rate box, so you can call and ask them to ship in a padded envelope to get a lower shipping cost.

https://coolfiretrainer.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=11&productID=39&pstart=0&recNum=0

Edited by JAFO
18 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I found these little gizmos from Coolfire that hold your top round down in the mag.  They allow you to cycle your bolt (o slide) on a fully weighted magazine without the chance of loading a round.  Their default shipping is for a USPS flat rate box, so you can call and ask them to ship in a padded envelope to get a lower shipping cost.

https://coolfiretrainer.com/asccustompages/products.asp?fav=0&fpage=1&page=1&categoryID=11&productID=39&pstart=0&recNum=0

Looks like a neat idea.  How much cheaper is the padded envelope?  Current shipping choices more than quadruple the cost.

1 hour ago, Flatland Shooter said:

Looks like a neat idea.  How much cheaper is the padded envelope?  Current shipping choices more than quadruple the cost.

$5.95 for shipping.  I ordered 2 packs of 3 to make it more worthwhile, although I think I'm more at risk of losing them or giving some away than I am of them wearing out.

5 hours ago, JAFO said:

I found this to be true even for pistol.  Reloading while moving is also very different from static reloading, but I can't think of any classifiers that would require you to reload on the move, and that's probably the only time you'd do it in PCC (unless your mag malfunctions).

One of the Ranges where I shoot, They require reloads on same stages even for PCC.  And since most of the classifiers require reloads, why not practice them?

15 hours ago, stick said:

One of the Ranges where I shoot, They require reloads on same stages even for PCC.  And since most of the classifiers require reloads, why not practice them?

I agree they should be practiced.  I was just saying that, in addition to practicing with weighted mags, practicing reloads on the move has a totally different feel than practicing static reloads.  Static reloads (if your stage planning works out) are usually only practice for classifiers.  I can see practicing static reloads for PCC for that reason.  I wasn't aware of classifiers that had reloads on the move.

When the range requires reloads for PCC, is that in an outlaw match or are you talking about speed shoot stages?

I have very little experience running a rifle.  I came in next to last in my first match with my PCC only because the guy in last place didn't bring enough ammo.  My classifier score lands in the same class as my Production classification.  Who knows, I might be the first one in USPSA history to end up rightly classified the same in PCC and pistol!

7 hours ago, JAFO said:

I have very little experience running a rifle.  I came in next to last in my first match with my PCC only because the guy in last place didn't bring enough ammo.  My classifier score lands in the same class as my Production classification.  Who knows, I might be the first one in USPSA history to end up rightly classified the same in PCC and pistol!

That's funny