Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

An Mp3 Player That Doesn't Break?

Another thing to consider when changing from mp3 to IPod is Itunes converts everything to MP4 and you can't go back.  You're basically married to Apple....unless anybody knows somthin I don't

that being said, 40gb pod a year old no problems.

Mp3 files works just fine in iTunes, no need to convert to Mp4. Unless you wanted to, but iTunes prompts you first if you're sure you want to convert since you can't go back.

But will it will it upload mp3's to an IPod?

MP4 is an improved format to MP3 and works just as well. It is easy to convert any format to another in iTunes. Here is an FAQ I wrote on that:

-----------------------

Q: How can I convert an MP3 to AAC in iTunes?

A: After a song file is in iTunes, make sure MP4 (AAC), or whatever format you wish to convert to is selected as the import format in iTunes preferences. Then select the song in the iTunes main Library. In the "Advanced" menu at the top of the screen will be an option to convert to AAC (or whatever format you set in iTunes preferences). A copy of the file in the new format will be created when you do it. The original file will also be left in place so you will now have a duplicate in the iTunes Library.

-----------------------

You do not lose anything and in fact, the AAC (MP4) format provides equal quality at 1/3 less file size. I actually prefer AAC nowadays for personal music. I still keep my main library in MP3 just cause that's how I ripped them back when iTunes only supported MP3, but all my sub-libraries are converted to AAC to conserve space.

You can put the music into iTunes in MP3 just by setting the import format in iTunes prefs as detailed in my FAQ. iTunes will work with an iPod fine with MP3, it just takes a whole lot longer to sync as the conversion is being done on the fly.

I will not practice fear of technology. I just master it instead ;-)

--

Regards,

I will not practice fear of technology. I just master it instead ;-)

All I can say is Thank God that folks like you have the desire to master new software technology, because I lost all desire about five years ago.

I'd rather test circuits. I'd rather dryfire. I'd rather chop wood, plow snow, wash dishes, sweep out the shop, just about anything seems better than loading up 150TB of somebody's elses BS onto my computer and wasting my life debugging it.

Gracias. :)

While proprietary software generally sucks, Apple did something right with Itunes. I really like to hate on Apple but the general concensious is that they got a real winner with the IPOD.

There are some stuff that is worth the effort to try, I would say Itunes is one of them.

loading up to 150TB of somebody's elses BS onto my computer and wasting my life debugging it.

Interesting note on installing iTunes and using it. It has to be one of the most trouble free applications I have ever come across. Configuring it and learning it tricks was so simple, I didn't realize it was software. I thought it was a well designed appliance that just plain worked when I started it up ;-) Seriously, even Windows users are delighted with how easy to use iTunes and the iPod are. It truly is the greatest thing since sliced bread and a real winner IMHO.

And yeah, it is my biz knowing how to make all kindza crap work. It's what I get a coupla measly bucks for, now and then ;-)

--

Re

You do not lose anything and in fact, the AAC (MP4) format provides equal quality at 1/3 less file size.

Not so! Transcoding from a lossy format ALWAYS causes a quality loss, especially when going to another lossy format.

Anyway, if you look around, there are a number of software packages that can get mp3s onto your iPod without the use of iTunes.

It just depends what your quality requirements/sensitivities are ;-) I work in Pro video and audio and understand what you mean, but for most folks, the differences are barely apparent in the best of circunstances. If you RIP at 192kbs, or better into MP3 and convert to AAC (MP4) at 128kbs in iTunes, the result is so imperceptively different that most folks don't know the difference.

Songs ripped into iTunes as 192kbs MP3 and converted into 128kbs AAC, then burned back out as AIFF onto a compilation CD sound exactly the same in my truck stereo as they do coming from the original CD's.

There is a discernible difference, just not through that player/amplifier/speaker combo. The same goes for most folks and their sensibilities.

Perception is in the eye of the beholder.

BTW, my main music collection is entirely in MP3 at 240kbs and 320kbs.

BTW, BTW, you can keep everything in AIFF in iTunes if you want and enjoy every byte of clarity that will bring to the table, it's just that the files are so bulky that no one will put up with the hassles for the barely discernible difference under most listening situations. Apples marketing research told them that not only is the general public unable to tell the difference, they don't care about the difference ;-)

Yes, there is some loss. Yes it's perceptible. Does it matter. Who cares ;-)

Notice how almost everyone is just plain blown away by what they hear in their headphones from their iPod's. We are definitely in the minority in that we know the difference and can actually see/hear it, if we try to ;-)

--

Regards,

One other thing i noticed is that the same mp3 file sounds better when playing on iTunes than on the Windows Media Player. I don't know if that only happens in my computer

There are processing options in iTunes that change sonic quality and there is a very good software equalizer and there is an option to even out volume levels which can boost stuff over other player responses for that same song.

I use the EQ and the auto volume adjust (a per song AGC if you will), but turn off the 3D sonic processing options. And yes, iTunes and the iPod are sonically superior to other hardware and software players for a lot of little and some big reasons ranging from processing features to playback algorithms.

--

Regards,

Apples marketing research told them that not only is the general public unable to tell the difference, they don't care about the difference ;-)

Yes, there is some loss. Yes it's perceptible. Does it matter. Who cares ;-)

Notice how almost everyone is just plain blown away by what they hear in their headphones from their iPod's. We are definitely in the minority in that we know the difference and can actually see/hear it, if we try to ;-)

Sonic quality is definitely one of the reasons I continue to use a CD Walkman, instead of buying a cheapo MP3 player. I honestly haven't even bothered to try any out, yet - I'm not a total audiophile freak, or anything, but I *can* hear "issues" w/ MP3 algorithms, can tell you differences in them, and anything below 192kbps is worthless, IMO (I'm a drummer and something of an audio engineer, occasionally - maybe that's why :) ).

I tried to explain what I was hearing to my wife, once - even played it for her on the stereo. She still couldn't hear it... sigh... I guess marketing is probably right on that one. Still, doesn't seem like one should have to spend a mint to get a device that can play music back with some sort of fidelity.

BTW - the headphones you use can make a huge difference, as well.......

My $50 RCA sounds way nicer than my old Philips and much better than my 3 skip-proof CD players. Amazingly good sound for an amp that's driven by a AAA battery. :o

Plug the SOB in, and drag and drop like it's just another hard drive. My kind of technology Daddio! :)

BTW - the headphones you use can make a huge difference, as well.

Huuuuge difference! I totally agree. At a certain point you really need more amplifier too. I use an outboard Radio Shack pre-amp with a fixed gain of about 6x. I use Shure EC2 and EC3 in-ear buds and my old standby Sony MV-6 studio headphones this way. If you crank up all the bass below 80 hz on the iTunes equalizer and lower the gain internally at the preamp and the computer audio gain setting so it won't clip from the added bass energy, you can get some real mondo bass from these suckers using the outboard Radio Shack pre-amp to drive the headphones to their real capability. If you aren't used to studio grade near field systems and live re-inforcement grade in-ear systems this type of setup will rock your world (even with 192kbs MP3 and 128kbs MP4 files) ;-)

BTW, IME, sometimes a lot of the problems folks have with computer and MP3 player audio quality is actually the puny internal amps clipping if you even look at them sideways, let alone adding some real bass energy to the signal ;-)

--

Regards,

On earphones (the small stick in/near-your-ear things, not the big Princess-Leia honkers)-- The tiny Sony in-ear ones totally rock. Sound great and they act as earplugs to keep all the airplane noises and crying babies at bay. Some froofy 'noise-cancelling' earphones didn't sound near as good. You won't want to share them with friends.

If you are worried about the hard drive in a iPod Mini (4gb), you might be able to swap it out. When they first came out, people realized that is was a hitachi microdrive. At the time 4gb microdrive ran $300-400, iPod cost $200. So people were buying them and ripping out the microdrive and selling them on ebay. I bet you can buy one off of ebay without the microdrive and put in a non-microdrive compact flash card.

What about the ( Dell DJ ) line of mp3 players? I have two teenagers using the 5gig and 20gig units, without any problems for over a year now. I have been thinking of getting the new 30gig unit for myself.

Nothing wrong with them. Good price and decent specs. We have a couple of the 5GB units. Doesn't work with iTunes, if that's an issue.

I've been using a little USB flash drive / mp3 player for the past couple years. Mine has 512MB and it shows up as a hard drive on a computer with no drivers needed. You just drag your songs to it and off you go. You can dump data files to it too, just like a regular flash drive. The one I have is some "no name" brand (no manufacturer listed on it, that I can see.) Simple jog wheel control and limited functionality, no display on this one. Doesn't bother me. I use mine mostly on my motorcycle and it slips into a pocket on my tank panel. Looks and feels cheap, but it's still ticking after 2 years or so. It was around $100 at the time, IIRC.

Got mine here at the time, but I don't see my particular model out there anymore: http://www.komusa.com/usbmp3players.html

I think I go through cell phones like Eric goes through mp3 players. 'Course I don't throw my mp3 players for losing my connection either. :lol: I'm surprised my Nokia still works after a year, I've abused that P.O.S. so much. :angry:

I bought the Dell 20gb cause it promised not to skip and I bought to wear while riding on the lawnmower (I broke 3 cd players last summer on it!)

IT WORKED! The batteries lasted through the whole mow, it never skilled, and when I dropped it and ran over it, it still worked :wub: