Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shielded Thumb Safety - Double Tap Vs PT Vs Thumb Shield

sstephns

Just looking for some experience and advice on this. I drag my thumb horribly and it causes malfunctions occasionally in my open gun. The DT are slightly cheaper than the PT, they both look nice. Or is it better just to go for the thumb shield? Personally I like the look of the thumb shield better, but really just looking for some input on the options. 

Currently I run a Wilson High Ride, what is the difference (if any) in where these safeties put your thumb?

Edited by sstephns

Yeah except Swensons are MIM and the PTs are machined out of one solid block of stainless steel, so they are much beefier than the Swensons and won't break on you. PTs are 100% rock solid.  

Personally I've never liked the look of thumb shields. Plus don't they have to cut the frame in order to install them? Just something to think about.   

I have used both the PT and Double Tap.  The PT is significantly wider, but can be shaped to your preference.  For me, the PT put my thumb in a higher, less comfortable position than the DoubleTap. YMMV.  I have pulled the PT off my Open gun and changed to  the Double tap to match my Limited guns

I’ve got and used both the DT and PT. Both are quality parts, with the PT being MUCH bigger on the paddles, allowing more custom options for sizing. The DT are really nice but smallish. 

To use the thumb shield, you must machine your frame for them. It’s permanent at that point. 

Hope this info helps. 

Edited by cheers623
Spell check

• 2 weeks later...