Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Shooters Guide

JFlowers

Does anyone have a New Shooter's Guide? Maybe a page or two that bulletpoints safety rules and outlines general match administration for a new shooter. I have been recruiting friends and am looking for something to help them understand about gun handling in and out of safe areas, RO commands, etc. These are folks who shoot casually and are interested in something more, so they have some basic gun handling knowledge. I am hoping to get the together one night to go over the competition basics, but I was hoping someone might have something I could print or email to them.

Thanks,

James

GRD,

Thanks, thats close to what I was looking for. David and Xre, I checked out the uspsa page before I even asked the question and while it gave good overviews of the sport and what you needed, it did not have what I was looking for. I did not look at the rulebook. The PRACTICAL SHOOTING ETIQUETTE section on page 12-16 also is pretty close to what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Bgary,

Thanks. But what I am looking for is more of a "Here's what goes on at a match" rather than a what gear and skills you need to compete. We have a fairly formalize procedure for stages so I was hoping someone would have a "You got your gear, membership and show up on match day, now what" kind of document that would explain to a new shooter the procedures going on around him.

GRD's page has range command and RO warnings (Finger, etc) on it and is close to what I was looking for except thats its IDPA rather than USPSA.

James

Thanks. But what I am looking for is more of a "Here's what goes on at a match" rather than a what gear and skills you need to compete.

Did you look at the linked doc?

http://northwestsection.org/files/SafetyCheck.pdf

It has a lot of safety and rules stuff, but also includes discussion about what to expect at a match, including sample stages, some discussion about how to shoot those sample stages, how to interpret the different things on a stage diagram, etc.

B

Try this one from the Richmond Hotshots:

Safe Handgun Competitor: A manual for students and instructors

It's 68 pages long so ... grab a cold one before you sit down to read it. Lots of pictures too for the text only challenged. Props to Bill for doing all the work to update the document.

Check out Chapter 2 - Competition to see "what goes on at a match."

If you haven't thought about it yet, the Fronst Sight Annual is a nice overview of the sport. It doesn't have the range commands etc, but I have printed it for people that show some interest and it goes a long way to explaining what USPSA is. It is always available on the USPSA website under the additional content tab.

• 4 weeks later...