Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Bullets Update

Paradox

Seems like forever and a day, but Precision told me this morning that .40 185gr and .45 200gr bullets are now in stock! I was further told that they are shipping in "Case Deals" with the USPS.

Specifically -

2500ct .40 Cal 185gr - $139.00 Delivered

2250ct .45 Cal 200gr - $129.75 Delivered

I have been shooting the MB bullets for almost 2 years now, and I am pleased with what I have gotten for the money. Having said that, I have never shot or weighed the Precisions. I have read posts citing both independently, but not listing Pro's / Con's between the two. Can anyone give me a comparision of the Masterblaster Moly and the "New" Precisions?

Thanks in advance!

Justin

In this case, I am refering to the "New" style moly coated Precision bullets out of Kemp, Texas. (I am told they don't have lube grooves) I forgot about the Precision Delta FMJ's. Sorry for the confusion...

Wow ... that was a fast reply :)

I have been shooting the " New" style moly coated Precision bullets out of Kemp, Texas" without the lube grooves...Most exellent! Seem to run very consistent in weight and appear to leave no residue whatsoever in my two .40 Limited guns or my singlestack .45. :wub: I like em! :D

I've shot a couple thousand of the new bullets from Precision - 185gr/.40's- and haven't noticed any smoke. Harmon tells me that they smoke with Titegroup but I think that might be only noticable to bystanders, not the shooter. Kinda like the fireball some Open gun and powder combinations produce. The shooter never see's it.

Al

Doing some Major .45 and Minor .40 load development. The coating is the same as with the 'old' version. The design of the bullet is new. There is no lube groove and the base is concave. Both of whats in my stock are of the round nose flat point design.

Weighed 30 of each bullet and plugged it into my chrono spreadsheet.

Precision .40 185 RNFP: Lightest 187.1, Heaviest 188.3, Mean 187.8

Precision .45 230 RNFP: Lightest 228.4, Heaviest 230.0, Mean 229.6

The lightest bullet of each was an oddball. For the .40 the next lightest was 187.3 and there were a few of those. For the .45 the next lightest was 229.1.

Work is still in progress. 4.2 of N320 behind the 230 .45 gave 694 fps for a 159 PF. You really don't want to know what 4.0 of N320 did with this combo. (OK, 650 fps for a 150 PF.) Haven't had a chance to chrono the Minor .40 loads yet. Once I make PF we'll see how accurate they are.

I have not used any of the MB bullets, however I have shot ~2k of the .45 230 RNFP now. My results have been very similar to Hank's, with the lightest bullet weighing 228.9, heaviest at 230.0, and the average at 229.6. I was using 4.0 of Clays with a 230 Zero/MG to make 170pf in my 5" 1911. With the Precision bullet, 3.8 of Clays makes 175pf in the same gun. I have since loaded some with 3.7 of Clays but have chronographed them yet-should make 170pf just fine. Accuracy is very good, minimal smoke, and my barrel cleans up nicely with FP-10.

One interesting thing about the .45 230 RNFP is that it may not work in all guns. I tried some in a HK USP Expert and the bullet contacts the lands of the barrel before the round fully chambers. With the Polygonal barrel of the HK, sticking with jacketed bullets is probably the best choice anyway so that is not a major problem for me.

Thank you Hank! That was the kind of information I was looking for. Looking forward to hearing your accuracy report :)

For anyone that has used both bullets, is the coating on one brand of bullet (MB or Precision) seem 'cleaner' than the other?

Seems like forever and a day, but Precision told me this morning that .40 185gr and .45 200gr bullets are now in stock!  I was further told that they are shipping in "Case Deals" with the USPS.

Specifically -

2500ct .40 Cal 185gr - $139.00 Delivered

2250ct .45 Cal 200gr - $129.75 Delivered

I have been shooting the MB bullets for almost 2 years now, and I am pleased with what I have gotten for the money.  Having said that,  I have never shot or weighed the Precisions.  I have read posts citing both independently, but not listing Pro's / Con's between the two.  Can anyone give me a comparision of the Masterblaster Moly and the "New" Precisions?

Thanks in advance!

Justin

do you have web site and/or telephone number, need to get price on 45 acp 230gr.delevered

precisions are more accurate.

the amount of smoke you get depends on what powder you use, generally the faster the powder, the more smoke..

Titegroup is one of the worst..

the video in the gallery forum of me shooting the texas star was shot with titegroup/precision ammo.

another factor is temperature, humidity and lighting.

on a warm humid moring with the rising sun in your eyes, the smoke is noticeable but its probably 3/4 less smoke than plain lead.

WST doesnt smoke as much as titegroup but has other issues that arent worth the smoke issues.

loads that make 170 power factor in 72 degree weather made 166.0 in the 100+ degree Area 4 match...and that was the best 3/7 rounds fired!!!!! :o

seems the VV N320 loads smoke less than titegroup...so do universal clays loads...

pick your poison!

Edited by harmongreer

WST doesnt smoke as much as titegroup but has other issues that arent worth the smoke issues.

loads that make 170 power factor in 72 degree weather made 166.0 in the 100+ degree Area 4 match...and that was the best 3/7 rounds fired!!!!! :o

Now come on. A4 was warm but not 100+. 95 degree with equal humidity maybe. ;)

Anyhow, I've been using WST for a while but I'm switching to N320. At A4 I chronoed at 165.8 for 3 rounds. Good thing chrono was in the morning as an afternoon chrono probably would have made minor. Just a month earlier I tested at 172 on a 80 degree day. Somewhere around here is a post of mine where I did some testing and found that WST wasn't temp sensitive. I need to go back and edit that as WST is sensitive. Field experience has superceded my testing.

are there bullets lead, black or Jacketed?  It didn't say on the web site.

Right on the front page.... Also read the two "melted bullet" links.

"Precision Bullets are swaged with certified 6/2 lead alloy.

We then apply our unique dry-lube formula. This process

completely encases the precision lead core.

What does this mean for you?

Safe for indoor ranges. No leading in the barrel. Fire

more rounds downrange between cleanings. Load twice

as long and twice as much before cleaning your dies.

Less smoke since no messy wax lubricants are used.

Precision Bullets cost only a few dollars more than the

cheapest cast lead bullets, but they give you jacketed

bullet ballistics.

They are clean, safe and accurate.

You can fire our bullets at over 2000 feet per second with

no leading and no copper fouling and no messy lubricants.

The tough coat protects the bullet from damage and is a

natural lubricant. It keeps the bullet at tight factory

dimensions and goes through the bore intact.

That means no lead on your hands, no lead dust and no

toxic fumes.

Even long sessions at the loading bench or when shooting

on indoor ranges. It means clean hands, clean guns, clean

reloading dies - and clean air.

And you get a bullet which is highly uniform in weight and

dimension. "

Harmon - I have tried N320, Titegroup, WST, and Universal Clays (not straight Clays). Of the 3, I liked N320 the best. I didn't do a whole lot with Universal Clays as it was slower burning - several places down the list on the burn rate chart. I will have to check it out again as I still have most of the pound I tried.

I am thinking about giving Titegroup another chance. It has a good feel, but I haven't found it to be as clean for me as others (Jacketed or Cast). I have been told that Hogdon has changed the formulation in the past few years? The lot that I tried was bought in 98 or 99? lol

Also looks like I will be placing an order with Precision :)

Justin

--*UPDATE*--

I ordered a case of 185gr .40's Monday. Got them from UPS (UPS ground is next day for me and cost 2 dollars more) at lunch. My first impressions of the new bullets are good! I weighed a hand full and I am pleased with the consistency. Haven't mic'd them yet but will load some up with Titegroup, N320, and WST tonight for chronographing tomorrow. The nose looks very similar to the Montana Golds that I have... I will try to take some pictures for comparison tonight.

I never got to try any before the 'transistion' but Precision gets an A+ this go around for service. Dave was also very courteous on the phone.

I still have a case of the Masterblaster bullets on hand, and still like them - but my initial impressions of the Precisions lead me to think I will be buying more :)

Thanks again for the initial replies!

Justin

Work has been kick'n me in the nutz... so I am a little late on results. I did get some pictures for those interested. I weighed samples of all the .40 Caliber bullets I had on hand but left the friggin worksheet... *sigh*

My results pretty much mirrored Hanks, the Precision bullets are definately more consistent than the Master Blasters. From what I remember, the Precisions are basically 188.0 grains +- .3

Also, I noticed a difference in the coating. To show a comparison, I swiped both types of bullets down a sheet of copy paper. You could use the MB's as a pencil if you needed :) The Precisions left a very faint mark - the lighting for the pictures wasn't the greatest but you can definately tell a difference. Chrono and accuracy reports later.

-Justin

post-1518-1123205317_thumb.jpg post-1518-1123205332_thumb.jpg post-1518-1123205343_thumb.jpg