Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rate my recoil

tyman1876

This may be a flop, or maybe it’ll be a good learning experience but either way I figured it’d be fun to try.

I’m new to open. New in the since that I had never even shot a platform like this until I got my DVC maybe 3 months ago. Since then, I dove in head first and am trying to educate myself as much as possible about my gun, it’s performance and reloading 9 major (or in general) as much as I could.

With all that in mind I’m in the experiment phase now. I’ve learned a ton on here but thought it would be helpful to get a little input on my personal performance.

Feel free to ask any questions about what I’ve tried but for now I’ll simply leave info on my gun/load and this video.

Gun:

STI DVC Open 9mm

8lb Wolff variable spring

All other internals are stock

Load:

CCI Small Pistol Primers

7.7gr Hs6

124gr Everglades FMJ

1.165 COAL

173 average PF

It looks to me lile the forward motion of the slide is causing the pistol to dip some, which may mean you need a lighter recoil spring. Compare your video to this video.

Is there a minimum weight spring that I shouldn’t go under? Or will I know if I begin to have problems picking up rounds from the magazine?

I’d be careful running it with a 7lb spring. Make sure it’s not to hot a load and not beating the gun up. Might try an aluminum shock buff with a 7 and after 500 or so rounds check the buff and see if it’s taking a beating. Just my opinion though. 

Hey bud, so in watching your video I'm curious how tight your grip is/are you locking your wrists?  I ask this because like others have said I see the dip, but I also see wobble after the dip which is something I have noticed when I see open shooters with a grip that isn't very tight. 

I run a 9lb spring on my 38SC and it runs perfect. Granted all guns are a little different I wouldn't think that gun would need such a light spring. 

Here's a video of my gun running a few different loads so you can see the difference. Notice the lines on the wall in my video and yours and how much movement there is in the hands.

Welcome to the darkside! Open has been an eye opener for me and allowed me to learn so much about the way i shoot. Dryfiring an open pistol made it signficantly eaiser to observe my trigger control. Good to hear that you reload as well. You will quickly find that it is all a matter of preference when it comes to your load out. As some have mentioned loads vary in different pistols. What others prefer may not line up with yours and vice versa.

As for your recoil video it does not look to bad. You can definitely improve it. As some have suggested it does look like you can go downa bit. Also looks like you have some extra margin in pf. I would try .2-.3 grn less powder. A couple of shots in the video look like there is quite a bit of gas coming out of the front of the comp. Ideally they should be coming out of the top and sides. Just something to think about.

Dont forget to focus on your grip as well as mentioned above. I had the benefit of picking up a used open pistol from my brother when i got into this division. Watching his videos the pistol shot much flatter in his hands with the same load out. This exposed the weakness in my grip. Are hou a fan of the thumb rest that cones on the dvc open? I shot the dvc steel and i think it is the same ledge. I much prefer the go gun. That too helped me control the pistol a lot better. Happy shooting!

Hey bud, so in watching your video I'm curious how tight your grip is/are you locking your wrists?  I ask this because like others have said I see the dip, but I also see wobble after the dip which is something I have noticed when I see open shooters with a grip that isn't very tight. 

I run a 9lb spring on my 38SC and it runs perfect. Granted all guns are a little different I wouldn't think that gun would need such a light spring. 

Here's a video of my gun running a few different loads so you can see the difference. Notice the lines on the wall in my video and yours and how much movement there is in the hands.

I was wondering if this question would come up. When I watched the video I thought the same thing and questioned if my grip was what it should be. I will say, it was -5 out when I took the video (you can see how red my hands are) so that may have played a part but regardless of the temp I agree with you. There’s improvement that could be made simply from this alone.

Welcome to the darkside! Open has been an eye opener for me and allowed me to learn so much about the way i shoot. Dryfiring an open pistol made it signficantly eaiser to observe my trigger control. Good to hear that you reload as well. You will quickly find that it is all a matter of preference when it comes to your load out. As some have mentioned loads vary in different pistols. What others prefer may not line up with yours and vice versa.

As for your recoil video it does not look to bad. You can definitely improve it. As some have suggested it does look like you can go downa bit. Also looks like you have some extra margin in pf. I would try .2-.3 grn less powder. A couple of shots in the video look like there is quite a bit of gas coming out of the front of the comp. Ideally they should be coming out of the top and sides. Just something to think about.

Dont forget to focus on your grip as well as mentioned above. I had the benefit of picking up a used open pistol from my brother when i got into this division. Watching his videos the pistol shot much flatter in his hands with the same load out. This exposed the weakness in my grip. Are hou a fan of the thumb rest that cones on the dvc open? I shot the dvc steel and i think it is the same ledge. I much prefer the go gun. That too helped me control the pistol a lot better. Happy shooting!

Thank you! This is exactly the response I was hoping for.

Could you elaborate a little more on the gas coming out of the front of the comp? I understand the principle and how it is suppose to work but what does that say about my particular load and setup?

As far as my grip, I agree. See the comment just above this one. And I know you can’t see it but I do have a go gun thumb rest on. I was not a fan of the oem ledge that came with the pistol.

An efficient setup will have much of the gas coming out of the top/side ports of the comp to keep the gun as stable as possible. If there’s excess gas coming out of the front of the comp, that’s counterproductive as it’s forcing the gun back/up. That said, HS6 is used my many (myself included) and the above, while theoretically true, may not have a noticeable impact. It may be more effective if you work on your grip and learn the timing of your gun. You may also be driving the gun down a bit in anticipating recoil.  You shouldn’t need to go to a 7lb spring to avoid the dip. 

2 hours ago, tyman1876 said:

I was wondering if this question would come up. When I watched the video I thought the same thing and questioned if my grip was what it should be. I will say, it was -5 out when I took the video (you can see how red my hands are) so that may have played a part but regardless of the temp I agree with you. There’s improvement that could be made simply from this alone.

I wouldn't know about what -5 feels like. I've lived in South TX all my life hahaha. 

Do this test again when it warms up a bit and focus on grip the whole time. See if there is a noticeable difference. 

Also like a couple other said you could drop your load a little. If you're making 173 PF in temps like that, you can probably drop down to 169-170 range and be plenty safe. 

I wouldn't know about what -5 feels like. I've lived in South TX all my life hahaha. 

Do this test again when it warms up a bit and focus on grip the whole time. See if there is a noticeable difference. 

Also like a couple other said you could drop your load a little. If you're making 173 PF in temps like that, you can probably drop down to 169-170 range and be plenty safe. 

Interesting. I knew temp could effect my numbers but not by that much. 7.5gr felt better with my 10lb stock spring but my PF was around 167 average which I was worried about being to low.

I’ll drop the charge a bit, keep the 8lb spring for now and try to find somewhere warm to shoot with attention paid to my grip. I think that’s a good course of action.

Msg73 pretty much summed up what i was talking about. It is kind of a testament about how efficient your load is in your configuration. It doesnt always translate into the best feel from person to person but i find that it does help in developing a load.

I knew it looked cold where you were shooting but dang -5. Thats pretty cold. Be aware of which powders you use as some are temp sensitive. Some like silhouette are reverse temp sensitive. Ive seen a ~15 degree drop increase my speeds ~35 fps

Edited by CamboSoup22

Hello: Change your mainspring to a 17lb ISMI one. The DVC's I have shot also like lighter bullets. I liked the 115's much more than the 124/125's I have shot through those pistols. HS-6 powder gives lots of gas and helps that comp shoot flatter. The 115's will hit the hand a little harder but shoots flatter. Thanks, Eric