• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

After my first Nationals I have learned:

#1 Golf carts VERY good, but dusty.

#2 There is a place on Earth that feels hotter than the face of the sun.

#3 If you want to win you need to be able to turn it on for EVERY stage, and then be ready for the 1-2 hour down time before you need to do so again.

Mmmmmmmmmmm <drool> is right!

Went to The Patio tonight. You were right on target, Dave.

The best meal we've had here.  :wub:

The Dave does not disappoint when there's food on the line.... ;) Glad you liked it, and that they still make a fine piece of pork over there!!! :)

on our way home, we stopped at white castle. another guy and i split a 20-pack...it felt like i swallowed a boulder. neither one of us ate for 24 hrs after that!

I'm still not right after that. White Castle...BAD!!!

Uh, maybe it's just me but anybody that eats TEN hamburgers (no matter how small) deserves what they get..... :huh:

Having said that even 4 White Castles can ruin your gut, I can only imagine what 10 did. :wacko:

Hey davidball and any other first-timers, how about adding to this thread when you get back? Let everybody know if it was as described, or what you expected, what surprised you, etc.

It's been almost a week since I fired a shot at my first nationals and the match is still about the only thing rolling around in my mind. Nutshell highlights:

* I learned more about shooting and particularly MY shooting in the three days I competed than I had in the last year. And I had learned more in the last year than in my entire life prior.

* I saw old friends and made new ones.

* I watched the super squad shoot four stages, including the deciding final stage on Tuesday. Learned a lot there. Our sport needs a scoreboard. The drama was thick but you had to eavesdrop and use your own stopwatch to keep track of what was happening.

* I only shot four stages I felt were reflective of my ability. And I'm not sure why I only managed four. I didn't have jitters. Maybe I was too calm. I had burned a lot of adrenaline the week before in anticipation of the event. Of course, there was the heat.

* I have a long list of skills to work on and I am excited about getting to it. I also found out I can do more now than I thought I could.

* I chatted briefly with Julie Goloski, Chris Tilley, Todd Jarrett, Manny Bragg, and Saul Kirsch (bought his new book, read most of it, good stuff there). Todd wanted $20 for helping game a stage. Told him I shot a Para and he let me off the hook. :)

* I will NEVER go without a golf cart again, despite the hassle it takes to get one.

* Saw some excellent ROing and also some that was disappointing (you CAN NOT run the timer from you belt when shooters are double plugged and there is shooting going on all around!). Deb Hawkins was the picture of patience and professionalism running a stage that gave her and her crew all of the trouble a stage can dish out (tough to score, cables breaking, activators everywhere, etc.).

There's more, but I'm still digesting - even after a week.

First time at Nats and I had a great time! "Squad 18 Rocks" B)

I would like to thank Jane and David Ball for filming me. Should make for some great videos on "America's Funniest Videos" :P

I also found that its really hard to aquire the front sight when it's up your butt :P

I even got to take some splatter home as a souvenir. and I was so low on the list I didn't get any shock buffs :lol:

I would like to thank the staff for all the hard work they put into the match, I know with that heat it had to be hell.

David, I agree there was some great RO's and a few that might need a refresher course. Also, If you could review the video on that slider stage where I pick up that souvenir that would be great.

Thanks

John

I would like to thank the staff for all the hard work they put into the match, I know with that heat it had to be hell.

David,  I agree there was some great RO's and a few that might need a refresher course.

You're welcome! The Nationals staff is a dedicated group, and while it was definately hot, we knew it was just as hot for all the competitors. Everyone survived this one together. ;)

A couple of comments around 'RO's that might need a refresher'...

First, if you ran into an RO that might need 'coaching' in some area, the best thing to do is have a quiet discussion with the Range Master about the issue. Since the RM is responsible for all of us, he can help make sure that the RO gets up to speed. I think most of the staff appreciates feedback that helps improve their future performance (at least I know that I do).

Second, the heat was getting to everyone. I know because I was running the ladies Super Squad (my last squad late Friday afternoon), and we got to the end of the COF, and it took me a minute because I couldn't remember my range commands! :o I finally pulled it together, got the shooter cleared, and was just really glad that I only had 3 or 4 shooters left to go. Sooo, maybe whomever you ran into was just struggling with the heat, and not his/her normal self.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your first Nationals, and hopefully we will see you for years to come... ;)